Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 108, 109, 110 ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Imonit wrote:
These parts came with my Super Beetle project. I’ve looked at it a little but didn’t see where they go. I’m sure y’all know? Thanks.

Under the rear seat at the forward edge of the package tray. See number fourteen in the diagram at the following link: https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/body_s...cfm?type=1
J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Does anyone have a labled version of this diagram:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/1970bus_IgnitionStarter.jpg

I'm sure I'm just tired and can't find it, but I've got no idea what I'm looking at - what are the "N1" and "N3" of the +15 of the coil?? Is that supposed to be the choke and idle shut-off on the carb?

Also, the fused wire off #15, is for the reverse lights? where "F4" is the reverse Light switch??

I'm guessing "D" is the key, but then what is "T2"?

What is the "E" circuits?

I feel like I need something like this where I'm not trying to decipher a secret code.

Any place on the forum I can find the "1970 Standard beetle Wiring diagrams for dummies"

Appreciate it!
J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

J-Gaz. wrote:

I'm sure I'm just tired and can't find it, but I've got no idea what I'm looking at - what are the "N1" and "N3" of the +15 of the coil?? Is that supposed to be the choke and idle shut-off on the carb?

Also, the fused wire off #15, is for the reverse lights? where "F4" is the reverse Light switch??

I feel like I need something like this where I'm not trying to decipher a secret code.

Any place on the forum I can find the "1970 Standard beetle Wiring diagrams for dummies"

Appreciate it!

Wait - that's for T2's
I need it for a 1970 standard beetle HA!
J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Never mind! ha! I just needed to open all the 1970 wiring uploads

J-Gaz. wrote:
J-Gaz. wrote:

Appreciate it!

Wait - that's for T2's
I need it for a 1970 standard beetle HA!

VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Been there done that, glad you answered your own question! XD
-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk
J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

VeeDubWolf wrote:
Been there done that, glad you answered your own question! XD

Ha! Yeah, it pays to read! Very Happy
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Should there be any packing or insulation filling the cavities above the engine at sides of the rear window?

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

BCE56 wrote:
Should there be any packing or insulation filling the cavities above the engine at sides of the rear window?

That's near/below where the "death foam" (expanding foam) was installed in some years, which lead to terrible rust issues in that area.
Earlier cars had triangular pillows (made from fabric left-over from the interior) stuffed in there (from the interior-side) to cut down on transferred noise/heat from the engine-bay.
I've not heard of people putting anything in from the engine-bay side, if that's where you're referring to.
Years away from such concerns with my '69.
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

VeeDubWolf wrote:

That's near/below where the "death foam" (expanding foam) was installed in some years, which lead to terrible rust issues in that area.
Earlier cars had triangular pillows (made from fabric left-over from the interior) stuffed in there (from the interior-side) to cut down on transferred noise/heat from the engine-bay.
I've not heard of people putting anything in from the engine-bay side, if that's where you're referring to.
Years away from such concerns with my '69.

------------------------

Thanks VDW.
I have read some Samba "death foam" posts.
My Frankenbug appears foam-free, pillows are not present. No apparent rust as far as I can see from the firewall area. No exterior vents on my '69, so no water entry to cavity.

I reckon some type of replacement filler would minimize noise and possibly block fumes from engine compartment.
Maybe semi-rigid packing foam would suffice.
I used this to fill the lower A-pillar cavities on my Syncro with a noticeable reduction of wind noise.

'86 Syncro tintop

Last edited by BCE56 on Sun May 08, 2022 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Planning to black out the bright trim on Frankenbug when mech and suspension repairs are complete. (Soon I hope.)

Anybody know if OG door lock cylinders can be fitted into these handles?
https://www2.cip1.com/vwc-113-837-205-mb/

I'd prefer to swap the cylinders (if compatible) rather than replacing and rekeying all the locks.

'86 Syncro tintop

VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

You're welcome, BCE56!
Maybe do foam-fill after loosely lining the cavity with a sheet of plastic, like they do for packing-shipping of some things?
That way it conforms/fills but isn't as difficult to remove if your (or a later owner) should need/want to do so.

As for those handles, I don't have direct experience with them so I can only work off of visual comparison, but I hope that can be of some help.
From what I can see in the product photo it looks plausible, all external features seem to match OG handles.
Key looks like the right profile too, which may be more telling, but I'm no expert there and I'm not sure where my Beetle keys are for comparison.
I was surprised to find the handles off a Rabbit in a local wrecking-yard* used the same style of lock-cylinders as my bugs. *(not sure what year it was)
At almost $20 per handle plus shipping, maybe worth a try to buy a pair?
In theory you could recoup most of that by selling them in the classifieds here if they didn't work out, especially as they seem to have limited stock.
It all depends on how you wish to spend your time/money and whether somebody with direct knowledge supplies a definitive answer, which I hope somebody does.
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

VeeDubWolf wrote:
You're welcome, BCE56!
Maybe do foam-fill after loosely lining the cavity with a sheet of plastic, like they do for packing-shipping of some things?
That way it conforms/fills but isn't as difficult to remove if your (or a later owner) should need/want to do so.

The stuff I have in mind is polyurethane (I think) open cell foam, commonly found in shipping boxes. Cut and shaped a bit oversize, it could be wedged into the cavities. I figure it's worth a try.

'86 Syncro tintop

BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

VeeDubWolf wrote:
You're welcome, BCE56!
As for those handles,
In theory you could recoup most of that by selling them in the classifieds here if they didn't work out, especially as they seem to have limited stock.
It all depends on how you wish to spend your time/money and whether somebody with direct knowledge supplies a definitive answer, which I hope somebody does.

Best case: cylinders are compatible.
https://youtu.be/4An1BrG2u_4

Worst case: would need to buy an ignition lock w/ (hopefully) matching key profile, then rekey so all keys work.
Alternately: I could have the present handles powder coated.

EDIT Just ordered the handles, and an ignition lock cylinder too JIC.
It may be some time until I get around to installing them- plenty of more pressing matters to work on.
I will post progress here or on the "What did you do to your bug?" forum.

'86 Syncro tintop

Last edited by BCE56 on Thu May 12, 2022 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

BCE56 wrote:

The stuff I have in mind is polyurethane (I think) open cell foam, commonly found in shipping boxes. Cut and shaped a bit oversize, it could be wedged into the cavities. I figure it's worth a try.

later mexican bugs had PU foam in plastic bags. For industrial application, usually a dosing machine is used that mixes the two components and seals them in a bag, AFAIK it also comes in pre-sized bags for home use, a bit like instant ice packs.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
solorogue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

OK.. what are these wires and what do they go to? I found them under the back seat on the drivers side tucked under the Y heater tube just hanging out not connected to anything.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Part of the "test network". Find current track #26 below...

solorogue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ohhh, so I don't need them connected then?
Baccabug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

solorogue wrote:
Ohhh, so I don't need them connected then?

The test plug is not used wires are not needed.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Is there any kind of pricing guide for late model bugs? I have a '73 Super I've been tasked with prepping and selling for a client, but I really don't have any idea what prices are fair. This one's a legitimate survivor, with an all original body, glass and both pans. This is probably the least molested aircooled VW I've ever found.

I guess what I'm asking the hive mind is whether survivor/patina monster status is a real thing in the marketplace, or if it's just another old bug that isn't a pretty as BaT examples.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

BCE56 wrote:
VeeDubWolf wrote:
You're welcome, BCE56!
As for those handles,

Best case: cylinders are compatible.
https://youtu.be/4An1BrG2u_4

Worst case: would need to buy an ignition lock w/ (hopefully) matching key profile, then rekey so all keys work.
Alternately: I could have the present handles powder coated.

EDIT Just ordered the handles, and an ignition lock cylinder too JIC.
It may be some time until I get around to installing them- plenty of more pressing matters to work on.
I will post progress here or on the "What did you do to your bug?" forum.

UPDATE Handles and ign. lock arrived today.

As expected, handles are not keyed alike.
Ignition key profile is not compatible w/ handle locks.
None of the new key profiles match my OG keys.
New keys are not marked w/ profile codes.
Handle keys are cut symmetrically, can be inserted either direction. Ign. key 1-way only.

'86 Syncro tintop

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 108, 109, 110 ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Page 109 of 129

Jump to: