Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 115, 116, 117 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

1969vertbug wrote:
Cusser wrote:
1969vertbug wrote:
Should there be any kind of grease/lubricant on the rear drum spindle (I don't even know if that's the name for it, but the thing sticking out in the pic above). I know the teeth don't move against each other, but I feel any metal on metal should be lubed, shouldn't it? (If not, I'm in the right thread at least...)

It is not necessary to use a fine film of grease on the splines.

What is IMPORTANT is to tighten the rear axle nuts to 250 ft lbs or more and use a brand-new giant cotter pin to retain the axle nut.

Use a Torque Tool, borrow a 250 ft lb torque wrench from O'Reilly, whatever !!!!

Thanks for the quick response, Cusser! I'll be sure to do that.

It would not hurt to lube the axle splines lightly. There have been a few folks here that have had the brake drum get stuck on the axle, due to corrosion.
The choice is yours on the path forward.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
It would not hurt to lube the axle splines lightly. There have been a few folks here that have had the brake drum get stuck on the axle, due to corrosion.
The choice is yours on the path forward.

Just don't overdo it with any lube. "Stick" lube like Door-Eze might be best. Just important that no grease gets on the drum inner surface or the brake shoes.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ok - what's the worst that can happen if your Clutch guide tube Breaks Loose?

Also, is the only real way to repair it to cut a hole in the tunnel?
If so, any good instructional videos?
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Try these:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=236748

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=608180&highlight=clutch+cable+tube

Looks like a PITA... *Knocks wood*

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks,
But seriously, what's the worst-case scenario?

Also, could installing the shift rod have broken it loose?
I just had a guy replace my shift rod bushing and coupler bushings...
Then He called me to tell me the clutch cable tube is loose.

BCE56 wrote:
Try these:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=236748

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=608180&highlight=clutch+cable+tube

Looks like a PITA... *Knocks wood*

busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Shift bushing and coupler have nothing to do with the tube.

Just get it welded, solves the problem of what might happen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

J-Gaz. wrote:

This is maybe the worse, clutch cable broke while waiting in line at customs to re-enter Canada (2015):

Here are some tunnel pics, I can't take credit for these, I found them on Samba a long time ago and saved them:

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
Shift bushing and coupler have nothing to do with the tube.

Just get it welded, solves the problem of what might happen

Right. I was just curious if while the shift rod could have gotten wedged between the tube when it was getting re-installed - it has to come out to do the shift rod bushing...
So I'm wondering if when reinstalling it, they could have gotten it wedged between the clutch tube and the tunnel, and popped the weld.

I didn't have any issues shifting before and never heard any noise in the tunnel other than the shift rod bushing being missing, and the metal-to-metal chatter that makes.

Does that make sense?
J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

These are great.
Too bad they don't show the routing of the shift rod in there as well.

hopkin wrote:
J-Gaz. wrote:

This is maybe the worse, clutch cable broke while waiting in line at customs to re-enter Canada (2015):

Here are some tunnel pics, I can't take credit for these, I found them on Samba a long time ago and saved them:

hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

J-Gaz. wrote:
These are great.

I have some more tunnel pics that I downloaded years ago, but weren't already reposted in my Samba gallery. (They're there now Smile ).

I don't recall the context of the original thread, but I downloaded the pics as they are a good look inside the tunnel.

I hope this helps:

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
T97
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Quick stupid question, I bought a 69 Standard Beetle "Autostick" with no engine or transmission. I also own a 71 Super Beetle with a running engine and standard transmission. Am I able to just swap over the entire transaxle assembly and call it good minus the clutch tube? I have already fabricated a replacement clutch tube to install but I'm uncertain whether or not I can use the running gear from my super without a lot of modifications.

Thanks in advance.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

T97 wrote:
Quick stupid question, I bought a 69 Standard Beetle "Autostick" with no engine or transmission. I also own a 71 Super Beetle with a running engine and standard transmission. Am I able to just swap over the entire transaxle assembly and call it good minus the clutch tube? I have already fabricated a replacement clutch tube to install but I'm uncertain whether or not I can use the running gear from my super without a lot of modifications.

Thanks in advance.

Yes !!

Some minor things may need to be attended, but that's a good swap. Obviously your 1971 pedal assembly is needed.

With the solid engine lid of the 1969, may be marginal on air; consider using the vented 1971 lid, or lid standoffs, or the tennis ball trick.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
T97
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
T97 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Yes !!

Some minor things may need to be attended, but that's a good swap. Obviously your 1971 pedal assembly is needed.

With the solid engine lid of the 1969, may be marginal on air; consider using the vented 1971 lid, or lid standoffs, or the tennis ball trick.

Thanks Cusser I was thinking this would be the case just wanted a for sure answer.
J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

These are great - I'm going to copy these over to a thread I asked a similar question in the 68+ general forum.

hopkin wrote:
J-Gaz. wrote:
These are great.

I have some more tunnel pics that I downloaded years ago, but weren't already reposted in my Samba gallery. (They're there now Smile ).

I don't recall the context of the original thread, but I downloaded the pics as they are a good look inside the tunnel.

I hope this helps:

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

A few weeks ago I drove my metallic green '77 Beetle up across the front yard after parking it on the side of the house to clear the driveway for a large tree service crane. New neighbors across the street- a nice young, small family who watched the trees being taken down- saw the Beetle in this unusual location and came down their driveway to the street. My auto choke sometimes shuts off a bit early, and in this case the Beetle stalled while sitting diagonally across the driveway. Husband asks how I keep it so clean, and I said although I keep a car cover on it, if you get closer (than from across the street) it needs a wash. OK. Then wife asks- "is that a Ford?". Rolling Eyes Having to stifle a laugh for astonishment, I respond that it's a Volkswagen, with millions of them built.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
wife asks- "is that a Ford?". Rolling Eyes Having to stifle a laugh for astonishment, I respond that it's a Volkswagen, with millions of them built.

Just WOW !!!

Don't ask that wife when the War of 1812 started, or whether the French or Indians won the French and Indian War !!!

Streetrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hi, I recently fitted a two inch narrowed front axel on my beetle. The adjusters have been set up to raise the car rather than lower it. At its highest setting should the suspension be very stiff as currently I am getting no compression on the suspension?
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

What shocks do you have? Gas could contribute to that. Take off the shocks and bounce it.
Maybe your ball joints are binding?
I never had a raised beam. Only lowered.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Driving my '83 standard for a few times now I feel the ride is a little harsh on the rear. It's more like clonks when driving over ridges rather than bumps. I have noticed the rubber on the auxiliary spring are worn and cracked. Would replacing them make the ride better? I'm not expecting a Cadillac glide, but I have the feeling it is harsher than it should.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Sonic wrote:
Driving my '83 standard for a few times now I feel the ride is a little harsh on the rear. It's more like clonks when driving over ridges rather than bumps. I have noticed the rubber on the auxiliary spring are worn and cracked. Would replacing them make the ride better? I'm not expecting a Cadillac glide, but I have the feeling it is harsher than it should.

Auxiliary springs? VW only had the rear torsion bars for rear springs. If you are running over rider springs on the rear dampers. That certainly would contribute to the stiff ride.

Regarding the "clonk" sound. I maybe your rear body to shock tower bushings (small rubber pads) are worn to the point that the body of the car is contacting the chassis.
I had to replace mine for this reason.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 115, 116, 117 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Page 116 of 128

Jump to: