Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Patty B. wrote:
This boot that fits on the oil breather tube on the bottom of the car--is it suppose to be closed, sealed, on the pointy end or slit like a whistle mouth piece? Isn't it suppose to vent? I never had one before putting one on last fall and I was surprised to see it without a slit, the pictures appears to have one but it could be a highlight?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You have to put the slit in yourself, right along the bottom seam.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks!! They should really mention that somewhere.
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

77 standard with sunroof: At the chicken foot I have a tube going to the defrost, one going to the fresh air box, and a 3rd that runs up the frame outside the windshield. Where does THAT one go???
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

OK, that one goes to the side of the windshield for defrosting that corner. It seemed deceptively farther up the frame it would end, the bend is rather sharp right there.
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

So, IF I had both connectors connected to a source, and IF I had complete connectivity across the rear window, how would I turn on the defrost back there?
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I think it must be part of the entire defrost system. One of the levers between the seats controls heat on/off & the other one is defrost ... maybe front AND rear.

I'm guessing. Someone with more knowledge may chime in. Makes sense to me, though.

Good luck ... jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
LucKaS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Here's my stupid question.

With a either a stock or lightly modified 1600 dp, would a 5 speed trans with close-ish 3rd and 4th be a good idea -or bad idea- for quicker acceleration to highway speeds?
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

There are only 3 VERY expensive 5 speed options:
1. Porsche 5 spd
2. Gene Berg 5 spd
3. Subaru 5 spd

All three are are custom installs. You'll need to have a lot of mechanical/fabricating skills or a lot of money.

Unfortunately, there's no easy/cheap solution.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ok, I started a thread about this, but no replies, maybe it's more of a stupid question, so I figured I'd post it here...

Can the struts, spindles and control arms of a '74 Super be installed on a '72 Super? The tie rods, steering box, damper and centerlink are exactly the same...

Thanks!

Victor

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

[quote="vamram"
Can the struts, spindles and control arms of a '74 Super be installed on a '72 Super? The tie rods, steering box, damper and centerlink are exactly the same...

Thanks!

Victor[/quote]
Victor, I read your thread and thought to myself. Why does he not just take one off and try it on the car that he wants to put them onto?
See where I'm going with this? I can't answer your specific question, as I have never owned an SB. But when wanting to try changing things from one year to another. I test fit to see if it works.

Case in point, I have two 67's. I wanted to swap that Cad plated gen pulley from the rusty car under the cover in the driveway to the DD one in place of the POS chrome one. Guess what? It didn't fit because the gen shaft on the pulley end was different from one engine to the other. But I didn't have to spend a dime to find out.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Rutsavenger, I thought of doing that...but it's a lot more work than swapping pulleys! I'd have to take apart the front end on both cars basically just to see if it would work! I think I'll wait to see if one of the guys who's done it responds in the thread w/either pics of such a swap or a complete list of parts that get swapped. I haven't been able to completely pull that together based on the replies. Course, looking at the answers on my phone probably isn't the best way to do it.

Thanks!

Victor

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Yea. There are couple of good answers in your original thread regarding the strut swap. I was just trying to think out of the box a little.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Bhain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I have a stupid question, are there any aftermarket VW parts venders that are not complete crap? I have worked on cars since I was a kid and have seen quite a bit of junk, but gee wiz some of this stuff is not worth the box it came in. In re wiring a beetle this month, I got a defective headlight relay, flasher switch and turn signal lever switch assembly that was a joke. I don't mind paying extra for good stuff, but where is it? Oh, and just to add insult to injury, I just received an ignition switch that was "assembly required" as it was in about 6 pieces.

Last edited by Bhain on Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Bhain wrote:
I have a stupid question, are there any aftermarket VW parts venders that are not complete crap? I have worked on cars since I was a kid and have seen quite a bit of junk, but gee wiz some of this stuff is not worth the box it came in. In re wiring a beetle this month, I got a defective headlight relay, flasher switch and turn signal lever switch assembly that was a joke. I don't mind paying extra for good stuff, but where is it?

It's called NOS (new old stock) VW parts. Cruise the classifieds here and ebay. Nothing will ever be as good as the original VW made parts.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Dan Hiebert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

unclewede wrote:
So, IF I had both connectors connected to a source, and IF I had complete connectivity across the rear window, how would I turn on the defrost back there?

My '70 has a toggle switch under the dash just to the left of the ash tray for the rear window defroster...my defroster doesn't work, tho. From perusing this forum I gather that is a common problem.
Dan Hiebert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Not a stupid question, but a not so proud moment in troubleshooting. Running through the State inspection checklist before taking the '70 in and the left front turn signal wouldn't work right. One of the filaments in the double filament bulb would light when I turned the lights on, and the same filament would blink when I turned the signal on. Same filament would blink with the lights off, signal on. Must be the bulb, put a spare bulb in, same thing. Must be the unit or the circuit. Checked and cleaned connections, not fixed. Took signal out, cleaned everything, put it back, not fixed. Left it for a couple days, checked again today hoping that the ACVW elves had taken pity on me and fixed it while I wasn't looking. No such luck, although I'm pretty sure I heard them snickering from the rafters. Took the signal off again, checked the wires because PO had cut and spliced them, rather than disconnecting them. Unknown why, but it is what it is. Wiring is good. On a whim, I rummaged about for a double filament bulb I vaguely recall seeing when I was looking for something else a while back that I know is new, but still at least 10 years old. You may see where this is going. Left front turn signal works now. Probably excusable since I did try another bulb first, but I have to admit, the spare I tried first was at least 20 years old, and I don't even remember if I bought it new, or threw it in my electrical stuff box after taking it out of something else. Oh, well. Live and learn, and take a trip to town to get new spare bulbs.
kirk1015
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Could I use a Carburetor Return Spring on my heater box arm?
I seem to have lost one of the springs. Evil or Very Mad Embarassed
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

kirk1015 wrote:
Could I use a Carburetor Return Spring on my heater box arm?
I seem to have lost one of the springs. Evil or Very Mad Embarassed
You can if it will fit. Smile

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
drunkpig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

How many fuel tank retaining plates are there on a 73 SB? Bentley says there's 4. And I've seen all four of them on 72 and older bugs, but for the life of me I can only find 2 on my 73.

I mean, after all, this is the stupid question thread, isn't it?
kirk1015
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

drunkpig wrote:
How many fuel tank retaining plates are there on a 73 SB? Bentley says there's 4. And I've seen all four of them on 72 and older bugs, but for the life of me I can only find 2 on my 73.

I mean, after all, this is the stupid question thread, isn't it?

I have a 74 Super Beetle, and it has 4. You are probably missing two.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Page 34 of 129

Jump to: