Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drunkpig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

kirk1015 wrote:

I have a 74 Super Beetle, and it has 4. You probably missing two.

That's the answer I was afraid of. I can see the bracket on the lower left (looking at the tank from the front of the car) and on the upper right. The only other place the other two brackets can be is up under the dashboard (for lack of a better knowledge of the nomenclature), If so, how does one access them?
kirk1015
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

drunkpig wrote:
kirk1015 wrote:

I have a 74 Super Beetle, and it has 4. You probably missing two.

That's the answer I was afraid of. I can see the bracket on the lower left (looking at the tank from the front of the car) and on the upper right. The only other place the other two brackets can be is up under the dashboard (for lack of a better knowledge of the nomenclature), If so, how does one access them?

Here is the passenger side. You can see where they attach there. I don't have
the car right now, as I'm having the engine rebuilt. Otherwise I would take a picture of the driver side as well.
If I remember correctly they should be in the same spots of both sides.
I just replaced my tank in December.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

drunkpig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thank you for the photo. I have the lower bracket on the left side - but not the upper. I have the corresponding upper on the right side - but not the lower. I just went out to verify this, but now my hood latch is stuck. So there's that.
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

What are the symptoms of a master cylinder going bad,tank in advance 74 sb drums all around
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Where the hell is the horn on a 72 super?? Confused I've looked all over the front of the car
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Where the hell is the horn on a 72 super?? Confused I've looked all over the front of the car

Front left wheel house...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks Maddel-

Mine has apparently been removed. I finally found the wires for it in the left headlight harness.
Rygar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Why does my right indicator flash faster than the left? What regulates this? Where is this magic machine located? How do I fix or replace it? I have a 1303 beetle 1973 RHD
fordp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

On my headlight wires I have 3 wires going to a 3 prong connector, a gray ground, and a second gray wire.

The second gray wire I assume is for my headlights with turn signals? I have fender mounted turn signals, should I split the positive from the turn signals and jump a wire over to the headlight? Or is this other gray wire a ground too?

Could I just ground the gray wire and use only my fender turn signals for now?
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Rygar wrote:
Why does my right indicator flash faster than the left? What regulates this? Where is this magic machine located? How do I fix or replace it? I have a 1303 beetle 1973 RHD
When one side flashes faster than the other it usually means one of the bulbs isn't working. Usually..... Rolling Eyes

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

LucKaS wrote:
Here's my stupid question.

With a either a stock or lightly modified 1600 dp, would a 5 speed trans with close-ish 3rd and 4th be a good idea -or bad idea- for quicker acceleration to highway speeds?

As we were building my son's 77, I asked about this. Besides the $$ issue, I was told you don't want to have that 5th gear at freeway speeds because if the engine isn't spinning fast enough it will overheat
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

unclewede wrote:
LucKaS wrote:

With a either a stock or lightly modified 1600 dp, would a 5 speed trans with close-ish 3rd and 4th be a good idea -or bad idea- for quicker acceleration to highway speeds?

As we were building my son's 77, I asked about this. Besides the $$ issue, I was told you don't want to have that 5th gear at freeway speeds because if the engine isn't spinning fast enough it will overheat

The fan won't be able to pull in enough cooling air at the lower RPMs at high speed. Suffocating.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

unclewede wrote:
LucKaS wrote:

Depends on how you do it. If you go with a 4.37 ring and pinion and use the extra gear to close the spreads it would likely be a noticeable improvement in freeway performance -- say if 3rd, 4th, and 5th where 1.48, 1.04, 0.82. That would improve gear flexibility and help keep the engine in the power band at speeds where the limited power of the Bug is most noticeable.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

68IHscout wrote:
What are the symptoms of a master cylinder going bad,tank in advance 74 sb drums all around

Recently I had the car jacked up at the back and I started seeing some fluid drip out of the vent hole near the frame head. This indicated that there some brake leakage happening. Then when I looked behind the pedals and squished the rubber boot that's on the MC, I could feel liquid squishing inside. This confirmed that the MC was leaking. The leak was not great enough that I could see a significant change in volume at the reservoir.

I rebuilt the MC. I think what happened is that there was crud build up inside the MC. Then recently I did some work on my front brakes (discs) during which I had to bleed out a lot of the fluid and let some air into the system. So, when I was bleeding the system and pumping on the MC, the pedal (and the MC piston) traveled more than it usually does. The piston seals then came across the cylinder wall that had crud on it and trapped some of the crud between the seal and the wall. This then caused the leak. That's my theory anyway and it seems to fit the situation and observations.

Byas
Dan Hiebert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ok, maybe I'm not sticking my tongue out of the proper corner of my mouth when I hit the enter button. Searches don't reveal the answer I'm looking for...does "PICT" in the carburetor description actually stand for anything? Just one of those things that makes me go, hmm.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I did a little searching and found an explanation of the Solex carb letters. All the letters seem to have a meaning.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

What are the symptoms of a worn u-joint on a super beetle if the rest of the front suspension is known-good?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EHostler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I might need to replace the control arm bushings on front of a 72' super beetle, however the kit I found was for a 74' super beetle. Will these parts fit, Or should I keep looking?
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

EHostler wrote:
I might need to replace the control arm bushings on front of a 72' super beetle, however the kit I found was for a 74' super beetle. Will these parts fit, Or should I keep looking?

The outer ends are different. See the 2 different sets in this link:
http://toplineparts.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=bushings

Call topline, Jon will answer your question and give you the exact part number if you're only replacing the outer bushings.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
kirk1015
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the Late Model paper air cleaner had any
kind of label on it. Like the oil bath cleaners did. If so, does anyone
reproduce them?

Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Page 35 of 129

Jump to: