Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ron G wrote:
I’m back with another stupid question, the fuse panel in my 71 super was broke and some of the tabs for the fuses were broke, so I decided to call the local parts store strictly VW parts, and told him I wanted a fuse panel for a 71 super beetle and I showed them a picture of what the one in my car Looked like and they sent me one and I got it and it looks similar, but the connectors were you hook the wires are different, as you can see in the photos my old one had connectors where there were three together and then another three together and then to two and two. But I got the new one and no where is there three connectors tied together, so I think it’ll make it a challenge to go by the wiring diagram to wire it, any thoughts or help would be great. What I have found is apparently I have a 73 fuse panel in my car but if I buy a 73 fuse panel like this new one is Then the connectors are all wrong I hope this makes sense see photos

Easy enough to just make jumper wires to connect the input terminals together if you want to use this fuse block.
michemo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

yr old fues box is from a 73 up super bug with a curved windshield no dought that box will not work on yr super bug

Last edited by michemo on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

The problem with jumping wires to another terminal would be easy but all the terminals are being used so I’d have to find a terminal that could handle the extra jumper. Wyatt has a 73 fuse panel in it I have no idea because it was all the original wiring, and it looks like it was in there since the car was new and 71 . I know that’s not possible, I could see a 71 in 73 but not a 73 in 71, I guess to make it easy I should just go buy a 71 fuse panel, so did they hook up the flasher and the other little boxes and just lay them in there
michemo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

i have a used fues box to fit yr super bug not on the web but i hae one if u look at yr vin # u will find the 3 did. is either a 3 or 4 that is what year u car is mike
Ron G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

[quote="michemo"]i have a used fues box to fit yr super bug not on the web but i hae one if u look at yr vin # u will find the 3 did. is either a 3 or 4 that is what year u car is mike[/quote

Mike. I will check when I get home To see what the Vin number is but I did find a fuse panel with the same configuration’s and still a 12 circuit they have it labeled as a 71 super see photo, the only problem is is it doesn’t have the upper deck for turn signal flasher door buzzer and I think it’s a dimmer that goes on top, I guess what they did in thoseYours is they just plug the wires in to the components and laid them there is that true
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Ron G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

michemo wrote:
i have a used fues box to fit yr super bug not on the web but i hae one if u look at yr vin # u will find the 3 did. is either a 3 or 4 that is what year u car is mike

Vin number is 1113061159

So I would say it’s a 71?
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ron G wrote:
The problem with jumping wires to another terminal would be easy but all the terminals are being used so I’d have to find a terminal that could handle the extra jumper...

May be something like this helps:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FEMALE-DOUBLE-MALE-PIGGYB...1254677075
scotto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm new to the VW Beetle experience. My Daughter and I recently bought a 73 standard, and off course what started as a mild resto has ended up being a frame off due to some floor pan and minor heat channel rot. The beetle is in excellent shape otherwise, with just a few areas that need some attention. That being said, I've run into an issue with the front floor pan mounts (in the bulkhead). Most of the bolts snapped and the captive nut plates are free floating. I cannot seem to find replacement nut plates on line. Can anybody steer me in the right direction?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

scotto wrote:
Hi all,

I'm new to the VW Beetle experience. My Daughter and I recently bought a 73 standard, and off course what started as a mild resto has ended up being a frame off due to some floor pan and minor heat channel rot. The beetle is in excellent shape otherwise, with just a few areas that need some attention. That being said, I've run into an issue with the front floor pan mounts (in the bulkhead). Most of the bolts snapped and the captive nut plates are free floating. I cannot seem to find replacement nut plates on line. Can anybody steer me in the right direction?

I make my own, as I do not know of a vendor making these. You might try looking in the classified here on tS. But you may actually need to call a junkyard and see if they will cut up a Napoleon hat for you, to get to the captive plate. I think they are M10 x 1.5

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
scotto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks Jimbo,

I am going to see if I can save the ones I have, but you never know.
Ron G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Yet another stupid question, why is Volkswagens electrical so confusing or is it me? I just bought brand new turn signal switch installed it ran wires up I got all the wires in the trunk compartment as this is a new wiring job. I have a Wolfsburg wiring harness for a 71 super beetle turn signal switch 71 super beetle. The wiring diagram that came with all the wiring , It’s hard to determine which is the ignition switch which is turn signal, I know I have eight wires coming out of the turn signal I think I have too many wires, and I don’t have a wire coming out of my turn signal switch that the wiring diagram says I should have , And that wire is the black with green and white dresser and that goes the turn signal relay. I don’t have that wire coming out of my turn signal switch I have some wires coming out of turn signal switch that are not even on the wiring diagram. I am pulling the hair out that I don’t have and I’m about ready to jump off a cliff, I keep thinking of that end result the smoke test. So really I want to get this right, so if there’s anybody out there that can help me with the turn signal switch and I’m sure later they’ll be other problems it would Greatly be appreciated. I don’t think I need eight wires and why am I missing one. As you can see in the photo these of the wires coming from the turn signal switch as you can see there is no black with green and white tracer only a black and green and apparently the black and green is for one of the turn signals help I’m confused.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Bump... Question

vamram wrote:
Is there an easy way to determine if the IRS torsion bars are worn out? Or do they just break when the time comes....?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Bump... Question

vamram wrote:
Is there an easy way to determine if the IRS torsion bars are worn out? Or do they just break when the time comes....?

Victor,

I think torsion bars breaking is very rare. Yes, the off road guys can break them on occasion but folks on the street don't seem to ever sustain a failure.

The biggest thing with torsion bars is they do loose some of their strength after decades which is why some VW's butts sag. The good news is simply resetting the torsion bars corrects the sag. My 69 bug and 70' bus both had some sag. I reset the torsion bars and the sags gone.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

My '74 doesn't sag, but it doesn't take bumps smoothly compared to my '72. I've got it pretty close to stock height and w/in the last year have replaced the trailing arm pivot pin bushings w/Topline black urethane ones, the spring and torsion arm bushings w/rubber ones from West Coast Metric, and the shocks w/new Sachs-Boge oil-filled shocks. Plus added a rear sway bar!! Maybe I need to index the arms higher than stock...Oh well, perhaps a topic for a separate thread!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Really stupid question: How does one disconnect the connectors that are in these yellowish, clear plastic connector blocks?

(picture from the gallery by 19-VW-74)

Thank you,
Kris
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Label them so you know which ones to mate back together. Then hold firmly by the crimp/heatshrink and carefully pull. Don't yank it so you end up ripping the wire out of its spade.

Caveat - some factory ones have a small tab that you may have to reach in w/a small small screwdriver to press against to release as you pull out. Perhaps someone else can chime in and provide a better description and process.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

The red one has the correct insertion portion to depress the tab on the connector within the terminal housing.

Amazon has them
Lisle 57750 Wire Terminal Tool Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007WQQHA2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_f2sDAbJ0XBKC1

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Ron G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ron G wrote:
michemo wrote:

Vin number is 1113061159

So I would say it’s a 71?

OK so I had to buy a fuse box for a 73 super beetle in order to get the same configuration of the fuses the only thing that the 73 doesn’t have is the upper deck for headlight relay and turn signal flasher, no biggie they can lay on the wires like all the rest of them
Ron G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

OK guys I got another question for you got the new dash pad Installed and I have a question with these front vents on the drivers and passenger side how are they putting these in to make them stay? See photos and how come the big Long round pegs do They get cut off? I have no holes in my dash for those why would they put them on there?

Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Check out items 40 and 41 here: https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/catalogues/Kaefer-1302-1303/html5.html#/620

Item 41 is sort of a clamp washer that fixes the vent cover.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Page 44 of 128

Jump to: