Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Maddel wrote:
Check out items 40 and 41 here: https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/catalogues/Kaefer-1302-1303/html5.html#/620

Item 41 is sort of a clamp washer that fixes the vent cover.

boy it sure looks like it but i have no holes in the dash pad nor the dash to

even except that pin on both sides.

and great info you sent also thanks
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ron G wrote:
Maddel wrote:
Check out items 40 and 41 here: https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/catalogues/Kaefer-1302-1303/html5.html#/620

Item 41 is sort of a clamp washer that fixes the vent cover.

boy it sure looks like it but i have no holes in the dash pad nor the dash to

even except that pin on both sides.

and great info you sent also thanks

Another view of the dash pad... Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Ron G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ok that makes Sense, I sure do thank you for the info
Multepiese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

hello everyone.
I have a stupid question too:
I bought a car last year. Is a VW kaefer .. roadster , something like that. Many parts are not original i understood. but i don't even know what model it is. Why i cannot see so many like this. Can anyone help me to understand so i can buy the original parts to complete the car as it was from factory?

Thank you.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Multepiese wrote:
hello everyone.
I have a stupid question too:
I bought a car last year. Is a VW kaefer .. roadster , something like that. Many parts are not original i understood. but i don't even know what model it is. Why i cannot see so many like this. Can anyone help me to understand so i can buy the original parts to complete the car as it was from factory?

Thank you.

Never seen that body style. I would think it is a Bug with a kit install onto the body in the rear sections. That's why you cannot find body parts.

I would assume that the chassis and driveline parts are all type 1 Volkswagen parts.

Good luck!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Multepiese wrote:
I bought a car last year. Is a VW kaefer .. roadster , something like that. Many parts are not original i understood. but i don't even know what model it is...

Judging from the pix it's a curved windshield Super Beetle - model year '73 or later IMHO.

The body is heavily modified. These roadster or speedster body kits were popular in the 80s and 90s over here in Europe.
The whole roof section is cut off. The doors as well as the windshield are chopped on your Bug too.
Then glass-fiber reinforced plastic parts were used to create the new body shape.
You may find some additional braces welded to the pan too.

The VW factory never produced Bugs like this.
Aside from the Hebmüller convertible may be - but this is something completely different IMHO.

Here are two pix of one of my buddy's Speedster taken in the 80s. On this one the windshield is untouched...

To find out more about the model year look for the VIN: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php

awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Finally got my 4" narrowed beam back from Franklin. How do I get this back in?

I pulled the thing out myself, so I know how it bolts to the car, but is there some technique that home mechanics can use? I've pulled and installed engines dozens of times by myself, but this beam is off balance and awkward as hell.
[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ok, I got it bolted on by myself in about an hour and a half. I just stuck a floor jack under the lower torsion tube and jacked it in place. The worst part was that the strut supports were parallel and about a half inch too narrow. When I jacked the beam up the strut supports would pinch on the body real good. The beam itself is top heavy and wants to fall backward. Holding the beam upright while simultaneously jacking it slowly, making sure the body holes matched with the beam, and whacking here and there with a mallet: draining. Fucking amazing fight getting that SOB in place.
GOD, I LOVE IT Blue Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rcflyer66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Just purchased a 72 type 1 for my daughter and I to work on as a project. I'm familiar with the pre 68 models, but have no clue on the difference between a standard and a super! Can the vin numbers be ran to find out? Or certain markings on the car? thanks for any input!
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Are you sure it's a Super? '72 can be either.

The difference with supers is that they have McPherson strut front suspensions instead of a torsion bar beam.
-Larger trunk
-slightly larger dimensions, including broader hood
-curved front windshield (I believe that is unique to late model Supers)

But the dead giveaway is the front suspension.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

dead giveaway for the novice is that the spare tire lays flat in the trunk of a super. '71-'72 Supers had "flat" windshields, '73+ curved. And yes McPherson struts but that may not be as obvious to a newbee.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Zvonimir1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hey guys!
Is it possible for 1969 1500 beetle ( which is in great shape ) to have all fender beading roll ( seals for wings ) in the same color as car? Was that an extra equipment?

Thanks!
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Zvonimir1985 wrote:
Hey guys!
Is it possible for 1969 1500 beetle ( which is in great shape ) to have all fender beading roll ( seals for wings ) in the same color as car? Was that an extra equipment?

Thanks!

I think the fender beading only came in black (maybe white). If it's the same color as the car, I'm gonna wager that the car was repainted without removing the fenders.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

My TDC mark on the pulley alleges that my idle timing is something like 25degrees BTDC with the strobe timing light.

I doubt that's actually true.

Possible answers what in the world is up with that?

1600DP AK code engine- so far as I know it has never been rebuilt
Genuine Bosch 019 dizzy (I know it's not the ideal one)
Zvonimir1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
Zvonimir1985 wrote:
Hey guys!

Thanks!

I think the fender beading only came in black (maybe white). If it's the same color as the car, I'm gonna wager that the car was repainted without removing the fenders.

I think it is original paint. I have found this brochure.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Zvonimir1985 wrote:

Neat! I stand corrected!
Rcflyer66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

awreed wrote:
Are you sure it's a Super? '72 can be either.

The difference with supers is that they have McPherson strut front suspensions instead of a torsion bar beam.
-Larger trunk
-slightly larger dimensions, including broader hood
-curved front windshield (I believe that is unique to late model Supers)

But the dead giveaway is the front suspension.

Not sure if its a super or standard. That's what I'm trying to figure out. But the info toy gave me should point me in the right direction. Thanks so much guys
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Rcflyer66 wrote:

Not sure if its a super or standard. That's what I'm trying to figure out. But the info toy gave me should point me in the right direction. Thanks so much guys

I hate to quote myself but
vamram wrote:
dead giveaway for the novice is that the spare tire lays flat in the trunk of a super. '71-'72 Supers had "flat" windshields, '73+ curved. And yes McPherson struts but that may not be as obvious to a newbee.

All you have to do is open the trunk. Does the spare lay flat? Super. Lean vertically? Standard.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Zvonimir1985 wrote:
AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
Zvonimir1985 wrote:
Hey guys!

Thanks!

Yes, white fender beading was a thing. I believe (think) it was only for white or cream colored Beetles. Looks great on darker colors. I put the white beading on my dark blue '70. Wolfsburg West sells them.
You can also get white window seals down in Mexico. Not sure how they hold up to the weather, but they definitely look different if that's what you're into.
LucKaS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Can a loose intake manifold on a set of dual carbs cause backfiring thru the carb, kinda like a loose - or leaky - exhaust backfires?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Page 45 of 128

Jump to: