Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichNJohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
RichNJohn wrote:
All the info I can find about removing and installing the engine and transaxle indicates how to do each separately. Can the engine and transaxle be removed/installed as a unit and is so would that be a preferred way to do it?

Think about this for a moment: if removing the engine and transaxle as a unit was the preferred method, then why is there no procedure for it in the shop manual?

As to whether it's possible, you would have to do one of two things: either remove the rear apron, or strip the engine down to a long block first (and even then some tweaking of the rear apron may be needed to get the engine clear).

Yeah, I figured it was a stupid question, just wanted to satisfy my curiosity which is why I posted it here.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Patrick_S wrote:
A question. Which type of grease should I use on the gland nut bearing in the flywheel? I have the engine out of the car now and I read this is a good moment to add some fresh grease. Just regular lithium grease?

Universal grease or lithium grease is fine for lubing the pilot bearing. Use enough to lube the needle bearings but not so much that it might sling out and contaminate the clutch disk -- a dab on your pinky is usually enough unless it's exceptionally dry.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Are standard tow bars good for both k/l beams and ball joint beams. ?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Are standard tow bars good for both k/l beams and ball joint beams. ?

Yes!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks. Hows the stroker coming along?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Thanks. Hows the stroker coming along?

Slow but picking up speed. I have installed a CoolRydes stiffy bar setup. Cool
I need to install a clutch arm return spring. So far that has proved to be fun. Shocked
And when I pulled the 1679. I found a hole in the left axle boot. Got a replacement on order from ACN. Along with a few misc. additional parts.

I'll likely fire it in the next two weeks. That is if I get off my lazy ass and get it done. Laughing
Have a great day.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

That spring for the clutch arm was not too bad. A couple of threads on here had some good tips.. Finding the correct spring was the hard part.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

RichNJohn wrote:
mukluk wrote:
RichNJohn wrote:
All the info I can find about removing and installing the engine and transaxle indicates how to do each separately. Can the engine and transaxle be removed/installed as a unit and is so would that be a preferred way to do it?

Think about this for a moment: if removing the engine and transaxle as a unit was the preferred method, then why is there no procedure for it in the shop manual?

As to whether it's possible, you would have to do one of two things: either remove the rear apron, or strip the engine down to a long block first (and even then some tweaking of the rear apron may be needed to get the engine clear).

Yeah, I figured it was a stupid question, just wanted to satisfy my curiosity which is why I posted it here.

As far as I know, it is impossible in a stock configuration. As the axles on a swing axle sit to far forward of the horn ends. Same with the flanges of an IRS tranny. Maybe if you removed the flanges from the tranny first. But that a pain in the ass part to have to reinstall! I even have the official VW tool for installing the flange and it is still a pain in the ass! Easier to take them out separately!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Ron G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Fixed

Last edited by Ron G on Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
GaryH611
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: A Stupid Question Reply with quote

I have a 71 Super Beetle Convertible; someone at a car show said my speedometer is incorrect because it shows speeds up to 100 mph. He claims the 71 goes up only to 90 mph,,,, anyone verify this for me?
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: A Stupid Question Reply with quote

GaryH611 wrote:
I have a 71 Super Beetle Convertible; someone at a car show said my speedometer is incorrect because it shows speeds up to 100 mph. He claims the 71 goes up only to 90 mph,,,, anyone verify this for me?

I believe that is correct. My '71 Super has a 90mph speedometer and the owner's manual shows the same.

Regards,
Kris
Ron G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: A Stupid Question Reply with quote

GaryH611 wrote:

I have a 71 super and it is 90mph
anthax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Stupid question:
What doors fit between models?
My 1302-71 might be needing better doors, what should I be searching for?
Any 68-73 doors?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

anthax wrote:
Stupid question:
Any 68-73 doors?

All Beetle sedan doors from 1968 up through the end of production should fit, though you may run into variances in trim hole location on anything newer than '77.
anthax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
anthax wrote:
Stupid question:
Any 68-73 doors?

All Beetle sedan doors from 1968 up through the end of production should fit, though you may run into variances in trim hole location on anything newer than '77.

Thank you! Smile
HeyWatchThis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Just setting things straight for myself before I start ordering parts and tearing stuff apart...

I have an early '68 bug, ball joint front, swing axle rear.

On the front beam, the original bushing/bearing parts in the tubes are (inside to out, neglecting torsion bars):

- Micarta bushing
- Needle bearing
- Rubber cap/seal

- Control arm

Is that correct?

If I want to replace the original hardware with polyurethane bushings, is it as simple as just knocking out the old hardware, leaving the torsion bars alone, grease up the poly bushings, and re-assemble everything? I've been looking for information online and not finding much. Also seen some talk of reaming out the tubes and I'm not sure if it's something I need to worry about.

Just replaced ball joints (should have waited and done it all at once..), looking to do tie rods, control arm bushings, and shocks sometime this summer.

Thanks for any insight.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Do I have to drain the engine oil to replace the front oil pressure relief spring on an AS41 dual port case?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Do I have to drain the engine oil to replace the front oil pressure relief spring on an AS41 dual port case?

Depends on what your tolerance is for getting covered in oil while swapping out the spring. You don't have to per se, but you'll probably wish you had.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Can I use moonshine to clean out my carburetor?

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Can I use moonshine to clean out my carburetor?

IIRC alcohol can damage some carb finishes and some seals.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Page 50 of 128

Jump to: