Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Loss of power above 15 MPH
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
longbeachbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:14 pm    Post subject: Loss of power above 15 MPH Reply with quote

During a recent drive in my 1975 Super Beetle, everything seemed fine. However, upon returning from a 2 hour stop, I noticed a significant reduction in power, struggling to go beyond 20 MPH. This was a new experience for me, and I couldn't help but wonder what could be causing it. It's worth noting that there has been heavy rain recently, although not on the day of the issue.

Sometimes, the car hesitates when the engine is cold, and this feels the same. However, the difference between hesitation and this is that I couldn't get the car above 20 mph. I am new to VW ownership. I've done some electric (rear lights were wired incorrectly and had the wrong lights for the year). The car starts fine.

I checked the oil on the way home and noticed a strong fuel smell and greenish(?) foam on the oil cap.

After some consideration, I'm leaning toward the fuel pump not pumping enough fuel as the potential culprit. The air intake is relatively new, and I could spray the carb and check for rust in the fuel tank. However, I'm not sure where to start. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Where would you start?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Loss of power above 15 MPH Reply with quote

Welcome!
longbeachbeetle wrote:
Where would you start?

I'd start by telling us why you are talking about a carb when a 75 should be fuel injected.

Regardless of fuel delivery system a test of the ignition system is a good place to begin, as it idles pull one spark plug wire from the distributor cap and listen for a change in engine speed/sound (use insulated pliers or thick gloves), then put that wire back and move to the next, does one (or more) not make any difference?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Loss of power above 15 MPH Reply with quote

Dry your cap
longbeachbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Loss of power above 15 MPH Reply with quote

Cap is dry, I think it was made in 74 and sold in 75, apologize for the confusion. Def a carb.

Any other thoughts? Fuel delivery or something else?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Loss of power above 15 MPH Reply with quote

Try loosening the gas cap when this happens next, to investigate a gas tank venting issue.

Ask me how I know this !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Loss of power above 15 MPH Reply with quote

Would start with a full tuneup to get those potential problems out of the mix. Also check that the distributor is advancing. Some distributors have a felt wick under the rotor for adding a drop or two of oil and if no oil has been added it could rust up locking the advance. Even if a distributor does not have the oiling feature the old time factory grease used in it, will turn into more of a non-lubricating stiff putty.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Loss of power above 15 MPH Reply with quote

As for the fuel smell in the oil would check the fuel pump to see if it is leaking.

If not that, then it could be your fuel shut valve or the float in the carb is the problem. Do beware new manufactured shut off valve and float parts made today are not of good quality, so good original German parts are best. Too much fuel going down the carb will cause power loss, fuel in the oil, and washes the piston rings clean of lubricating oil, wearing them out real soon resulting in loss of compression.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: