Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where have all the Kombi's gone?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
72vwtype2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Where have all the Kombi's gone? Reply with quote

Is it just me or are the true original Kombi's becoming a rare breed? The classifieds are primarily westies, other campers (some of which are were originally Kombi's) and deluxes.

I gather many Kombi's, like the panels and p/u trucks, had hard working lives and have long since been retired. The Kombi's were intended to be an "all purpose" vehicle. It's scarce and non-flashy interior allowed it to haul materials, but could also accommodate seats in the back to haul people around. I believe many, because of its utilitarian purpose, are in very rough shape and hence the reason they rarely show up on the Samba.

My 72 was converted (very well) to a hard top camper and had me convinced until I had the M code interpreted. So I am slowly converting it back to its original 2 (front) 3 (middle seat) configuration which could perhaps make it a "rare original Kombi"?
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are scarce but I think part of the reason you don't see them is because people have customized them hiding the original aspects. I also think the term kombi is thrown around randomly to describe any old bus, so few folks know a true kombi model is different. I have a 78 kombi that the original owner picked up at the factory in Germany. It has the cab only headliner and all grey back cargo walls with basic panels. Cool
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
420GOAT
Samba Member

Location: Wilmington, CA on a nice quiet street but still in the 'hood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE kOBIS, they are hard to find, and always have been, most were camper converts or work trucks as mentioned, but they have no front vents for fresh air nor do they have rear heat, so by 68 a VW bus needed comfort as selling points. they also have a 3/4 ton rear axle rating compared to 1/2 ton of a regular passenger bus. i love that are one solid color. they also wont allow headliners to install for lack of mounting provisions.
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where did you get that rear axle load info? it's complete bollox.

there's only 65 kg difference between the 2 and they are both well over a ton.............

and the kombi is the lower rated.
Idea
Kombi 1135 kg
Alle anderen 1200 kg
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '71 kombi certainly does have front fresh air vents.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
My '71 kombi certainly does have front fresh air vents.

i never seen a bay window without them, but our fearless goat seems to live on another planet. Razz

and all the ones i've had have heating to the rear , it comes out directly behind the cab bulkhead.

but whadda eye know, i'm not american ...............

i'm not anticipating a rapid reply from him............ Wink
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the OP is talking more about tin top station wagons and not true Kombis.

For myself I find my somewhat strip down station wagon to be far preferable to a Camper. Way more versatile.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP is referring to the actual Kombi model and not what many call any bus model. A real Kombi is a panelvan with windows, no interior in the back, just paint on the base model, seats and hardbaord linings were optional extras. No rear heater outlets under the back seat like a stationwagon or Westfalia equipped bus either and no fresh air vents running along the front doors to the rear load area, no chrome or 2 tone paint either, just the basic stripper model work truck.
Unconverted Kombi's are getting to be a rare sight for many of the reasons already mentioned, I like them, a little noisy inside like a panelvan but light and fun to drive and lots of room for cargo (easier to see out of too).
But then again I'm a sucker for any of the working class commercial models Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it me or does that kombi look like it's sagging in the rear from the factory?
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Is it me or does that kombi look like it's sagging in the rear from the factory?

1971 was a good year for the bratwurst industry Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: My 72 Kombi Reply with quote

I drove my 72 kombi in the original shape from 1972 until 1983 when my son
got into body boarding as I would just put my boards in the back and kept the center seat for hauling the kids to little league. But as he got older I bought a 75 westy and pulled all the interior and put it in the 72 so, we could have more fun for both surfing and camping.

Best choice for me Laughing and it became more so when we had a big earthquake in 1989 and slept and cooked in it for a few days.
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i get what he's saying about the air vents now. in europe it was only the very deluxe model had these armrest channels.

i figgered he meant no heat outlet under the rear seat, but surely the US market kombis also had the rear heat outlet on the floor in the middle?

were the rear axle weights different to europe in the americas as well? Question
type2much
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is where one of them has gone...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1626148

Last edited by type2much on Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:57 am; edited 1 time in total
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

type2much wrote:
Here where one of them has gone...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1626148

That one has got a glove box lid, I thought the Kombi didn't have the lid, or was that a US market thing? Also, I thought the seat bulkheads were normally bare metal on them with no black trim, and non-opening 1/4 lights. It could be a standard microbus with the interior panelling stripped out sometime in its life.

1972 T2 Camper (Devon), 1988 Golf, 1972 Type 1, 1984 Polo, 1972 T2 Camper (Danbury)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chimneyfish wrote:
That one has got a glove box lid, I thought the Kombi didn't have the lid, or was that a US market thing? Also, I thought the seat bulkheads were normally bare metal on them with no black trim, and non-opening 1/4 lights. It could be a standard microbus with the interior panelling stripped out sometime in its life.

North American market Kombi's came standard with a padded dash with glovebox lid, padded walkthrough, opening front vent windows and a few other safety and convenience features that were optional elsewhere, the single color paint and beige or grey painted interior in the back with no headliner as well as no fresh air vents in the bulkheads say Kombi to me.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is a very rare color, white hahahaha. Seriously though, how many Kombis were sold on the european exchange plan, not many. You would need to rent hotels if you bought this thing and traveled Europe, weird!
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
420GOAT
Samba Member

Location: Wilmington, CA on a nice quiet street but still in the 'hood

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love it when you guys eat shit! its pretty funny.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
chimneyfish wrote:

North American market Kombi's came standard with a padded dash with glovebox lid, padded walkthrough, opening front vent windows and a few other safety and convenience features that were optional elsewhere, the single color paint and beige or grey painted interior in the back with no headliner as well as no fresh air vents in the bulkheads say Kombi to me.

Where is that Kombi thread we did awhile back? Showing the panels inside - no headliner, no rubber mat....I bet those were from Canada eh?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
chimneyfish wrote:

Where is that Kombi thread we did awhile back? Showing the panels inside - no headliner, no rubber mat....I bet those were from Canada eh?

Oh yeah!, beauty memory you have there EH?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566565

Now I just have to find the thread from the guy in Poland or somewhere close to that country that had a real deal doubledoor sunroof Kombi, that one was mucho badass!

Слава Україні!
type2much
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the grey painted kombi panels the same material as 1/8" hardboard found at Home Depot?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: