Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My restoration project, a 1971 Westfalia. Still learning.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ateneo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The left side tip of the wheel well needs to be replaced and so I decided to see if I can make a patch panel for that section using the shrinker tool.

After cutting a paper template, I bended the two edges of the plate and used the shrinker. To my amazement, I was able to form a not-so-perfect-but decent form panel. The problem now I have is how to add the indentation that goes through the whole top length of the wheel well and goes down until 1/3 on the slope of the wheel well. Any suggestions guys?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe an appropriate sized dowel along the crease, place the piece on a table and then using the appropriately sized wood block and a hammer to form the flare slowly. Send a PM to Skills and or wrstp........
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're doing a great job in rescuing that Rusty bus! Kudo's to you for taking on the project while learning the skills to complete it.

As a person who restored a VERY rusty 69 convertible and went thru exactly what you're doing, let me offer this. Take it one piece, panel at a time. Don't get overwhelmed when looking at the WHOLE project. Do what you're doing now. Today I'll complete this rocker. It took me a year (with breaks from it) to complete all the metal work on my bug.

The other suggestion I'd offer is to look for donor pieces of metal off another bus. NOTHING fits like the original metal. If I had to do my vert over again, I would of looked for a donor bug to cut off what I needed. MOST, if not ALL the replacement metal I used was terrible in fit, thickness and quality. There are tons of buses being chopped up and hopefully you can find some of the metal off one.

Keep posting your progress. I/we love to see someone else's hard work and effort in saving an old VW.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ateneo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Keep on pluggin along. Ive never had the skillz Razz to weld. I started to learn but never followed through. Im sure I could learn and pick it up, but that would detract from my time spent scouring the internet for rare parts Laughing

Just setting up that tool in the pic above tells me you have a great chance at following through with your restoration. I look forward in seeing it get done! Good luck and hang in there.

thank you, Notchboy. I am just an amateur welder like many weekend restorers out there who depends on the generosity of experts out there who are willing to impart helpful advice.
ateneo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pioneer1 wrote:
You should be very proud of yourself and the monumental task which you are doing very well. My '73 looked fairly rust free when I bought it but I uncovered all the same problem you have ,and like you, I now have all new metal instead of rust. Thankfully my bus will never see snow and salty roads again so my work will not be in vane.
Embrace bondo. It has a useful function and is used by all the pro restoration shops to get the surfaces flat and contoured correctly. My dad used lead as a filler back in his day. Thankfully we don't have to do that anymore!

As an amateur restorer, I agree with you that I will have to embrace bondo. I will still try to do my best to install panels and minimize the use of bondo but this 71 Westy will definitely have some bondo in it once it is finish. Hopefully it is not much and it would be in areas that are not that important.
ateneo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
Maybe an appropriate sized dowel along the crease, place the piece on a table and then using the appropriately sized wood block and a hammer to form the flare slowly. Send a PM to Skills and or wrstp........

Thanks TomWesty. I have seen wrstp's work in his forum and they are superb. I will check Skills because I don't think I have seen his. Thanks for this info Smile
ateneo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
You're doing a great job in rescuing that Rusty bus! Kudo's to you for taking on the project while learning the skills to complete it.

As a person who restored a VERY rusty 69 convertible and went thru exactly what you're doing, let me offer this. Take it one piece, panel at a time. Don't get overwhelmed when looking at the WHOLE project. Do what you're doing now. Today I'll complete this rocker. It took me a year (with breaks from it) to complete all the metal work on my bug.

The other suggestion I'd offer is to look for donor pieces of metal off another bus. NOTHING fits like the original metal. If I had to do my vert over again, I would of looked for a donor bug to cut off what I needed. MOST, if not ALL the replacement metal I used was terrible in fit, thickness and quality. There are tons of buses being chopped up and hopefully you can find some of the metal off one.

Keep posting your progress. I/we love to see someone else's hard work and effort in saving an old VW.

Hi wcfvw69.

I agree with you that original parts from donor cars is always the best choice. Right now I am searching for people who has them but many of them are just too far away from me. I will continue to advertise hoping that someone out there will have my parts at an affordable price.

Some of the parts in the door pillars are not available out there right now. I will just have to try my best and fabricate them myself.

Thank you for your encouragement. I will definitely try to focus on one section or panel of my bus at a time and work on that section only. I tend to be overwhelm whenever I look at the other rust areas I have to work on.
Damon23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the twin to your bus over here. Ours has lots of dents and dings but thankfully no rot. Keep up the good work.
ateneo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eharrison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work! I have a 68 that has minor rust issues but I'm currently restoring a 1971 911 that had some significant left corner damage and required extensive repairs. Then there's the steel flares and suspension mods, all requiring welding and sheet metal work.

My experience is:
Flapper sanding disks are easier to handle over grinding wheels.
Rust dissolver is key. But sure stinks!
Por-15 any work you did and seam seal everything else.
Burn thru's occur when you tack an area too much (or the metal is too thin).
Move around when you're tacking. 3inch apart or more.
If you buy after market sheet metal, you're always going to rework it, period.

Wish you luck and will be watching....

Oh and look at Small Car Connection in Hesperia. They have tons of parts and I would bet you could find some nice donors there.
ateneo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damon23 wrote:
We have the twin to your bus over here. Ours has lots of dents and dings but thankfully no rot. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Damon23.

Man, I wish my bus had no rut. I would be enjoying morning cruises to the beach if it did not have any rust. Oh well….back to welding again Smile
ateneo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eharrison wrote:
Great work! I have a 68 that has minor rust issues but I'm currently restoring a 1971 911 that had some significant left corner damage and required extensive repairs. Then there's the steel flares and suspension mods, all requiring welding and sheet metal work.

My experience is:
Flapper sanding disks are easier to handle over grinding wheels.
Rust dissolver is key. But sure stinks!
Por-15 any work you did and seam seal everything else.
Burn thru's occur when you tack an area too much (or the metal is too thin).
Move around when you're tacking. 3inch apart or more.
If you buy after market sheet metal, you're always going to rework it, period.

Wish you luck and will be watching....

Oh and look at Small Car Connection in Hesperia. They have tons of parts and I would bet you could find some nice donors there.

I will definitely check out the Small Car Connection because I really need doglegs for my Westy. Thanks for the info, man Smile
Eharrison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem.

Hey here's a couple photos of the place to give you an idea. I'm sure you'll find something with this type of inventory.... I was amazed at why he had.
I don't know how chopping frames up works, maybe call ahead?

I found the place after I was heading back from the Mojave desert and decided to look for salvage yards up in the high desert area after not being able to find a 68 rear bumper anywhere, this place popped up and after arriving I was amazed at the poor buses retired to parts.... Oh and he had about 8 bumpers that, according to other yards, don't exist....

ateneo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eharrison wrote:
No problem.

Hey here's a couple photos of the place to give you an idea. I'm sure you'll find something with this type of inventory.... I was amazed at why he had.
I don't know how chopping frames up works, maybe call ahead?

I found the place after I was heading back from the Mojave desert and decided to look for salvage yards up in the high desert area after not being able to find a 68 rear bumper anywhere, this place popped up and after arriving I was amazed at the poor buses retired to parts.... Oh and he had about 8 bumpers that, according to other yards, don't exist....

That looks like a parts paradise for my bus. Cool! I am going there hopefully this week or the week after next week. Thank you Eharrison for the pictures. You gave me hope to find my parts. Smile
ateneo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I struggled to weld down the battery tray because of the limited space I have to work around it. Removing the surface rust to get to bare metal seems to be a challenge because I am afraid of grinding the metal too much where it becomes too thin. I am even thinking if I should replace the lower rear right cover of the bus around the battery tray so that I can get rid of all the rust spots. That is still on my list of “possibilities” but I set that idea aside to concentrate on finishing the other parts that I am working on.

I spent the whole afternoon last Sunday welding a patch inside the rear right wheel well. After cutting all the rusted areas, I placed a copier paper over the hole and pressed the edges of the hole to the paper to trace the form and size of the whole. I then placed the cut off form over a 20 gauge sheet metal and cut about 2 inches larger all around the template. I did this because in the middle of the template I need to form a hump (bead).

Since I don’t have a bead roller, I had to figure out what I can use inside the garage to form the bead. I spotted an old mop handle stick and decided to use that to form the bead. I pressed & hammered the sheet metal in the middle of the stick and then also used the edge of our cemented stairs to form the bead. Then I used two wooden planks and used them as a metal brake to bend the metal. After forming the bead, I placed the template on the arch inside the wheel well and pushed it against its wall. After a few minutes of pushing, I was able to get the desired arch form for the template.

I slowly trimmed the edges of the template to make sure I get the desired gap equal to that of the thickness of an 18 to 20 gauge metal sheets. I seemed to get better results on butt welding when I use those gaps when I am welding together 18 & 20 gauge sheet metals. To keep the metal sheets in place, I used intergrip panel clips. I had to trim down the “inserts” using my angle grinder because whenever I tighten the screw, sometimes the gap widens.

Setting my MIG welder to Voltage “D” & wire speed 3.5, I started tacking the panel patch. Because the patch is curved, I have to constantly check the alignment every after two tacks. I had to use my body hammer to make adjustments. Sometimes, I just simply push the metal patch with my fingers or used the end of the wooden handle of my body hammer to keep everything leveled.

When I started tacking the patch, I first tacked the four corners of the patch then I checked if the arch in the middle part is level with the body sheet metal. Then I tacked the middle and jumped on the other side each time I do a tack. Every time I do a round of tacks, I would grind the tack beads down so that I could see if there are any air gaps inside the tack welds. Once I get the tacks to about 1 inch apart, then I start bead welding adding a tack to the grinded tack welds. Before I start welding, I would touch the metal to check the heat level before deciding to continue tack welding.

Using an angle grinder to grind the tack welds inside the wheel well was a challenge. I was in pain with my back my arms really hurting.

Eharrison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job! I always notice better weld bond when I lightly scuff the new metal to remove any oils or coatings that may have been on the metal for storage.
16 Tundra
14 MB C250
ateneo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called the Small Car Connection at Hesperia to inquire about their parts. The guy there said that I have to make an appointment with him and visit their yard during Saturdays. Then I can select the panels & other bus body parts that I need and they will just cut it and figure out how much is the price I need to pay.

When I asked the guy how much would they sell a 68-71 bus dog legs, he said they sell those for $175 each side. Oh boy, that is a little too much for what I want to pay for dog legs. Klassic Fab sells a complete dog legs for $225 plus shipping.

I am convinced that original parts are always the best choice when it comes to restoring vintage VWs. I just need to find parts that are more affordable. Hopefully I can find those this weekend at the OCTO.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1646901
ateneo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1646901

Hi TCash,

I checked out that ad and those doglegs are for a 72 and newer models. They have the "lip" or flare on its edge.
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I wish I'd bought a shrinker when I was doing my body work, those panels look great!

Its a lot of work, but its good to see you doing it right Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: