Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 77 and failing DEQ
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
theregoeslouis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: My 77 and failing DEQ Reply with quote

Well my 77 failed DEQ test. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do and where to start.

It failed on

HC suppose to be below 300, mine was at 461
CO suppose to be below 2.5, mine was at 9.7929

Story with my 77, bought it from my boss, it had been sitting in the yard for a few years 3 maybe 4 don't know but when I finally got it from him at ran, I did some maintenance on it but not all.

I took it to the shop took them about a week to tell me they needed more time because they didn't know what they were doing. I only took it to this shop because a friend takes hers there. But on their report it said

"Found EGR rusted out and pinched off, bolts, studs, nuts missing, various exhaust components rusted through. This vehicle emissions system requires a functional EGR and exhaust system in order to function properly"

"Rebuilt distributor w/ electronic ignition"

Where to start Think Think Think Think Think
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: My 77 and failing DEQ Reply with quote

Cap rotor and plugs new to start

Then check ignition timing.

You are running rich as Hades. Timing is off or injectors are leaking badly
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: My 77 and failing DEQ Reply with quote

You may have ancient ethanol laced fuel in the tank that doesn't burn all that well either. Sounds like you will need to replace the EGR filter and valve, and likely much of the exhaust, and do other work as well. Don't know what is required as far as the non stock distributor, it should work fine if the mechanical and vacuum advances match the original, but whether it will pass a visual I do not know.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: My 77 and failing DEQ Reply with quote

With a post Cat tailpipe reading that high on CO, are you seeing Black Smoke out of the Exhaust, esp. if you rev up the engine?

Check the Vacuum line to your Fuel Pressure Regulator as well, make sure you have Vacuum at the Regulator port on the FPR, and that no fuel is present when you take the Vacuum hose off to check for Vacuum with a gauge.

As Abscate noted, could be gummed up injector spray patterns that are more of a stream now instead of a proper spray pattern. Injectors can be sent out often for cleaning and flow testing. Don't keep running it with the CO reading that rich, you don't want to poison your Cat. Converter if you have one.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My 77 and failing DEQ Reply with quote

Start with an oil change. Dirty tainted oil won't do you any favors at the tail pipe. And factory timing specs & the plug wires, old stuff can produce misfires & drives the HC (unburned gasoline) way high. If you hear something odd at idle speed, (hesitation, dropped cylinder, afterburn) it will likely lead to emissions failure.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My 77 and failing DEQ Reply with quote

If it sat for that long with ethanol laced fuel in the tank paying someone to clean the injectors would be a waste of money at this point. You might as well plan on having the fuel tank removed and cleaned as it will be a gummy mess inside.
theregoeslouis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My 77 and failing DEQ Reply with quote

I already changed the sparked plugs and did oil change have not tested since then.

But I did take some pictures under and this is how it looks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

theregoeslouis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My 77 and failing DEQ Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
With a post Cat tailpipe reading that high on CO, are you seeing Black Smoke out of the Exhaust, esp. if you rev up the engine?

Check the Vacuum line to your Fuel Pressure Regulator as well, make sure you have Vacuum at the Regulator port on the FPR, and that no fuel is present when you take the Vacuum hose off to check for Vacuum with a gauge.

As Abscate noted, could be gummed up injector spray patterns that are more of a stream now instead of a proper spray pattern. Injectors can be sent out often for cleaning and flow testing. Don't keep running it with the CO reading that rich, you don't want to poison your Cat. Converter if you have one.

I don’t see any smoke when Reving it
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My 77 and failing DEQ Reply with quote

Welcome!

A missing or compromised EGR won't cause high Co or Hc's, that shows up as the Nox if they do a dyno road test. As others have mentioned it's over fuelling, possibly combined with a misfire or really worn engine.

I see a missing foam seal around the engine, how about some pics of the top side just so we can all know what we are dealing with?

BTW thanks for using the Samba gallery for your pics Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
rag63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My 77 and failing DEQ Reply with quote

Bummer on failed DEQ. I too am in the PDX area. I had a similar experience with our ‘81 air cooled Cali-emission package Vanagon. I ended up taking it to Trafton’s so they could set it up to pass. I think they also drove it there for the test. They tweaked it to pass with flying colors.
Cheers,
Dave
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My 77 and failing DEQ Reply with quote

If the egr isn’t blocked at the plenum or anywhere after egr filter would that cause a vacuum leak? I just see the massive hole in the filter and am wondering how that affects things.
theregoeslouis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: My 77 and failing DEQ Reply with quote

rag63 wrote:
Bummer on failed DEQ. I too am in the PDX area. I had a similar experience with our ‘81 air cooled Cali-emission package Vanagon. I ended up taking it to Trafton’s so they could set it up to pass. I think they also drove it there for the test. They tweaked it to pass with flying colors.
Cheers,
Dave

Of course I'd like it to pass DEQ but I'd like for it to be running well as well.
I just purchased this bus two months ago, So don't mind putting some $ in to have it run smoothly. I pretty much got it for free.
theregoeslouis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: My 77 and failing DEQ Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Welcome!

A missing or compromised EGR won't cause high Co or Hc's, that shows up as the Nox if they do a dyno road test. As others have mentioned it's over fuelling, possibly combined with a misfire or really worn engine.

I see a missing foam seal around the engine, how about some pics of the top side just so we can all know what we are dealing with?

BTW thanks for using the Samba gallery for your pics Wink

Here we go

theregoeslouis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: My 77 and failing DEQ Reply with quote

Here is also just starting it in the morning

Link
theregoeslouis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: My 77 and failing DEQ Reply with quote

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: My 77 and failing DEQ Reply with quote

It is cranking fast and uneven so you likely have a couple of cylinders with low compression. You obviously have exhaust leaks, and likely vacuum leaks as well. It will take way more than pocket change to get it running well.
rag63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My 77 and failing DEQ Reply with quote

theregoeslouis,
No disrespected intended. That is a great looking Bus!
Yes, it is best to get your Bus running as VW intended.
Cheers,
Dave
[/quote]
theregoeslouis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My 77 and failing DEQ Reply with quote

rag63 wrote:
theregoeslouis,
No disrespected intended. That is a great looking Bus!
Yes, it is best to get your Bus running as VW intended.
Cheers,
Dave
[/quote]

Thanks! hopefully I can get it dialed so it can run in good shape and pass DEQ, I might look into that shop just so I can pass DEQ first
theregoeslouis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My 77 and failing DEQ Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
It is cranking fast and uneven so you likely have a couple of cylinders with low compression. You obviously have exhaust leaks, and likely vacuum leaks as well. It will take way more than pocket change to get it running well.

I haven't ever checked for that kind of stuff before or done it. Easy to do?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My 77 and failing DEQ Reply with quote

theregoeslouis wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

I haven't ever checked for that kind of stuff before or done it. Easy to do?

Not hard if you can follow instructions, have a look through this and see if it makes any sense: https://www.ratwell.com/technical/EngineInspection.html

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: