Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Locking hubs install on Syncro?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Locking hubs install on Syncro? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I've got a '87 syncro, 2.5 Suby, lockers front and rear, and a decoupler. I know that there is one guy out there (see picture) that has managed to install manual locking hubs on his syncro and I was wondering if anyone has any info on what parts he used and what mods needed to be done.

I would like to be able to have the front wheels freewheeling without them still turning the axles, diff, and driveshaft. Like a normal 4x4.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So if anyone has played with this idea themselves or accomplished it please speak up. I am open to ideas using any parts and ideas out there.

Cheers, Peter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually virtually no modern 4x4 uses locking hubs anymore. They tend to be arranged more like Spraque Clutches or vacuum controlled, run off the limited slip/ABS computer and so on. Locking hubs also had a nasty habit of failing, or in my case, shearing the tip off the front drive axle. I di look at my hub and think if it could be done. Did a quick blueprint in my head and said, way too much machining to go backwards in technology. You might gain a few MPG in the long run and have a bit less turning machinery, but it would cost a bunch to do, unless your real handy with a turning NC machine. It is already a PIA to get rims to fit, now you would have even less selection without enlarging the center bore a lot.

Gads, I rant to much sometimes.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack's locker hubs took lots of skill to get them under the syncro. Nobody else has attempted it that I know of.
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus no speedo. need to use gps or something else.
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize that most new 4x4's don't use the locking hubs anymore except for some like my buddies '05 Land Cruiser hzj 78.

I just think that with over 90% of my time being on road not offroad Sad , I would be able to save the extra strain on the drivetrain. Well that and I also like projects with a challenge.

I saw some Superwinch locking hubs for a Vitara and they were very compact. They would definitely require new hubs to be machined for the syncro and maybe some creativity with the axles. Just ideas.

If anyone has any more ideas please post them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
7thing3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the decoupler accomplishing 90% of what you want?
'84 Mercedes 280 CE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the decoupler keeps the front axle from being driven by the motor however the front axles, the front diff and the drive shaft still spin. They just aren't driven from the back.
wjjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been thinking about the same thing and I was brought back to my buuddy's Samurai in school, just throwing it out there

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://zukioff...lweJrsjiCg

Seems "adaptable" to me?
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking hubs install on Syncro? Reply with quote

canasync wrote:
Hi All,

I've got a '87 syncro, 2.5 Suby, lockers front and rear, and a decoupler. I know that there is one guy out there (see picture) that has managed to install manual locking hubs on his syncro and I was wondering if anyone has any info on what parts he used and what mods needed to be done.

I would like to be able to have the front wheels freewheeling without them still turning the axles, diff, and driveshaft. Like a normal 4x4.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So if anyone has played with this idea themselves or accomplished it please speak up. I am open to ideas using any parts and ideas out there.

Cheers, Peter

Did you ever find anything else on this? Interesting idea. I'm wondering if a smaller hub & axle off an Isuzu or Suzuki would work..

Syncrozilla wrote:
Plus no speedo. need to use gps or something else.

maybe this?

http://www.speedhut.com/gauges/GPS-speedometers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the cost/benefit of doing this. A fraction of an MPG for a lot of cost and time.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canasync wrote:
I realize that most new 4x4's don't use the locking hubs anymore except for some like my buddies '05 Land Cruiser hzj 78.

Your buddy has a 2005 HZJ78? How's that possible? That's what we should be talking about…

Smile

I am totally jealous, I used to have a HJ75 Troop Carrier in Africa but Quebec made it impossible to register a RHD vehicle before I could import it. I ended up selling it to a guy in Belgium.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think about this every time i turn the hubs on my little nissan truck. I would like to know more too.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you install Warn-style hubs with the intent of also decoupling (so that the front diff remains stationary), you will fry the tip of your transaxle's pinion shaft (regardless of decoupler type). So, there's little point in free wheeling hubs.

It's an either/or choice, and easier to install a decoupler.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gears wrote:
If you install Warn-style hubs with the intent of also decoupling (so that the front diff remains stationary), you will fry the tip of your transaxle's pinion shaft (regardless of decoupler type). So, there's little point in free wheeling hubs.

It's an either/or choice, and easier to install a decoupler.

That is an interesting point. If the transaxle has no input from the driveshaft or the CV shafts, isn't it the same as having the transaxle sitting in crate? Which end of the pinion would burn up and why? Not trying to call anyone out, just trying to understand a little better. I have had similar thoughts even wondering why you couldn't adapt a conventional straight axle on the front with drop links etc. Only because there is a ton of stuff in the aftermarket for those types of axles for off roading. Not saying it is better or worse, just thinking out loud.
vw4wd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the tip of the rear pinion shaft that would be affected.

That is, the two halves of the decoupler, although not transmitting drive, would still be in contact through a small bearing (or is it a plain shaft?) and the front half would be stationary whilst the pinion shaft is rotating at road speed. Lots of relative motion means lots of heat.

1990 Transporter syncro camper with 2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. The plain shaft type decoupler would fry pretty quick, while the needle bearing type would last longer, but still fail.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've been working on my engine & syncro drive line swap.. I was looking at the front frame work of the 2wd van I'm converting. I can't help but notice how a straight axle from a something like a bronco II or something along those lines could be fit under the front of the van with out a lot of hassles.

Ok, yes steering would take a bit of figuring, but assuming you went leaf springs, you could put an axle under a Vanagon with out a lot of engineering.

This leads to the next issue.. How to fit a front engine in the van and the rest of the drive line.. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: