Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Hey guys, I finally tackled the bigger electric fan conversion from 86-91 into an early van.
That was fun tracing the wires of different colors sometimes and different relay contacts from what I have, minor stuff though.... Laughing

A couple questions remain please. Trinary switch not wired yet.

1-Where do I connect the Vanagon BK/Y wire to? It comes from the 3rd speed relay, contact #86. To Blue wire from SmallCar compressor relay?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2-Where do I connect the blue wire from the SmallCar compressor relay? Should I have the 2nd speed of the fan running anytime the compressor is running like Jeff settings?

3-From 2nd speed relay 53, I have a thin Red/Blue wire coming off contact #86 (see H6 on the diagram), would it be the one connecting to the trinary switch blue wire?

4-I have an extra R/BK wire coming off the fan stage resistor, it is tee'd at the connector with one end going to the radiator thermoswitch and the other end I cannot find where it goes on the diagram....

For info, this is the mount for a 1985 Westy no AC, with coolant sensor level relay and fan relay mounted on the pilar.

I removed the connectors off the mount for the coolant relay to mount it on its own plastic mount.
See it here, separated and remounted on a single bracket.

You can see it is predrilled for the later style bracket, so it will be easy to mount the 86 Syncro w/AC wiring I have stripped off my donor.

1985 wiring harness for the fan, the big R/W wire goes to fuse #7

1986 Syncro w/AC wiring harness for the fan. Relay 53 for 2nd speed on relay panel location #5, brown connector "H", big Red wire from 50amp fuse blade goes to B+, the R/W wire goes to C7 , on my 85 it will go to fuse #7. Relay 53 will be mounted on an additional snap on mount next to the 3rd stage relay/ 50amp fuse blade on the pilar.You can spot the extra relay holder I'm adding

Cheers!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget

Last edited by ALIKA T3 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
Farf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
4-I have an extra R/BK wire coming off the fan stage resistor, it is tee'd at the connector with one end going to the radiator thermoswitch and the other end I cannot find where it goes on the diagram....

It goes to current track 12 on the diagram below.
[img]
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Thank you Farf!

I pulled out the 1990 Bentley book I got at home (I keep this one clean) to have it all square, so page numbers would match yours and I did find the number 12 track, thank you for pointing it out Smile

From what I understand, it should go to one side of the blue wire off the trinary switch , the other side of the switch wire to the little red/blue wire (H6, track 14?) The gauge sizes are way different, that seems wrong. d'oh!
The blue wire from the SmallCar AC relay would go to the Black on the trinary switch, then to the compressor, but I'm left with a Vanagon black/yellow wire on track 17 that I have no idea if I have to keep it or tap onto that same relay, on #85. Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

I don't think I'm gonna figure these ones by myself Embarassed Embarassed
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Fair warning. My high speed fan runs most of the time so this may not be correct. I’m still trouble shooting. To quote Bluto after he totally Flounder’s brother’s Lincoln. YOU f’d up. You trusted us. Very Happy

I spliced the black/yellow based upon someone post early in this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:
Fair warning. My high speed fan runs most of the time so this may not be correct. I’m still trouble shooting. To quote Bluto after he totally Flounder’s brother’s Lincoln. YOU f’d up. You trusted us. Very Happy

I spliced the black/yellow based upon someone post early in this thread.

Hello!

It's prolly it's wired like SmallCar suggests, using the R/BL wire coming off the thermoswitch to the 3rd speed relay 251919505 rather than the 2nd speed relay 53 141951253B

I think I have it all covered up for running like factory since I'm using a factory wiring from an AC van, I just need confirmation on the last couple wires that don't make sense to me :/
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Low speed should always run when the compressor is on. I used a relay off the compressor wire to run low speed fan.
It should also run from the radiator thermostatic controller when it reaches 203

Medium speed should run when the trinary switch flips. I ran this off the normally off switch on the trinary switch from ignition power to a separate relay

High speed should run direct from the large relay on the a pillar from the radiator thermostatic control when it reaches 215
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Pcforno wrote:
Low speed should always run when the compressor is on. I used a relay off the compressor wire to run low speed fan.
Ah sh!t, I was thinking running it upstream from the trinary switch off 87 on the compressor clutch. It would run all the time when AC is on though. I'm not happy with the idea of having a fan running all the time for nothing at highway speeds too, kind of wasting its lifespan. Not sure how to solve that.
It should also run from the radiator thermostatic controller when it reaches 203

Medium speed should run when the trinary switch flips. I ran this off the normally off switch on the trinary switch from ignition power to a separate relay
For those with factory AC, it is relay 53 on position 5, wire R/BL from 86 on the relay.( brown connector H6). I just asked about this wire on another thread but you just confirmed my thoughts here, thank you Smile
High speed should run direct from the large relay on the a pillar from the radiator thermostatic control when it reaches 215
This should be untouched, it also has a R/BL wire that can be confused with the wire mentioned above, it comes straight from the thermoswitch to the 3rd stage relay 251919505

Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Alika - I agree. I set my low speed to operate off the compressor wire and a speed sensitive relay which interrupts the ground of the relay at speeds greater than 15 mph so the fan only runs when there is insufficient air flow
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Pcforno wrote:
Alika - I agree. I set my low speed to operate off the compressor wire and a speed sensitive relay which interrupts the ground of the relay at speeds greater than 15 mph so the fan only runs when there is insufficient air flow

That's a great idea!!

Could I use the original speedo signal from the instrument cluster used for the cruise control? I'm not sure at what speed it would work in this case though... if you happen to know let me know Smile

Cheers!
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Yes - I used this
https://www.lingenfelter.com/product/L460340004.html
I also use it to turn on my transmission pump to lubricate 4th.
You can get the signal off any VSS so long as it uses pulses per mile. You can select any PPM configuration and it will learn it
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Pcforno wrote:
Yes - I used this
https://www.lingenfelter.com/product/L460340004.html
I also use it to turn on my transmission pump to lubricate 4th.
You can get the signal off any VSS so long as it uses pulses per mile. You can select any PPM configuration and it will learn it

Funny, looking for a VSS relay product, this one turned up but thought it was rather pricey Embarassed

Are you able to use one of them for 2 applications?

I'm thinking, isn't the output of a VSS like the one GoWesty sells 5VDC? I could use that to a 5Vdc relay, to power the relay to first speed at the fan Idea
From my research it looks like it is called a latching relay.

Something like this maybe?

https://www.citrelay.com/view_relay.php?series=L115F2

Last edited by ALIKA T3 on Tue May 01, 2018 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Yes but it takes quite a bit of trickery depending on what you want. Check the PDF instructions and you can see if you can get it to work for the two different things and speeds you need
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Pcforno wrote:
Yes but it takes quite a bit of trickery depending on what you want. Check the PDF instructions and you can see if you can get it to work for the two different things and speeds you need

It was more out of curiosity than trying to make it work. Your recommendations are excellent and I appreciate you sharing your findings here, it makes this forum a great knowledgeable place. I prolly won't go this way, fundings lately don't allow it, so that'll either be a cheap solution, or a simple switch at the dash to turn 1st speed off manually when I'm driving Laughing

Aloha!
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Cool! Yes Thanks Alika - that means a lot coming from you 🤓
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

I'm just about ready to start up my engine for the first time. As it stands my SC in-dash A/C unit is installed with the heater hoses and power sources connected. I do NOT have the trinary switch connected nor the A/C hoses or the compressor. The control knobs do function as well.
Back in the engine bay my compressor has both hoses connected to the compressor only a few inches long and then they terminate right after the service ports. Do I need to do anything with the open hose ends if I am going to attempt to start my engine? I have a serpentine belt that runs the compressor so I don't think I can bypass that. I'll go out and shoot a picture of what I'm dealing with.
So basically I want to engine running and just run the heater and then as time and money allow , I will complete the A/C function .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Here is a picture of what I have. Am I able to run the engine with these hoses as they are. They are going into the compressor on the other end.
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Go ahead and start your engine. Open lines might get dirt inside, plug off the openings. System won’t turn on without a charge.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
Westaru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

After reading this thread 4 times I've decided to tackle the Smallcar AC for my '84. System is ordered as well as a condenser and crimper! I'm curious if the Vintageair or OEM Vanagon Drier/receiver is preferred? Neither is listed as a needed part on the smallcar site but their 'included' parts list doesn't include it.

The only parts I'm having a tough time sourcing is a compressor bracket and compressor (1991 EJ22). My engine doesn't have either and I can't seem to find a junkyard that has one of these locally. I'm curious if anyone knows of an internet source for these? Would like the compressor for the 'plug' and for a core.

Thanks in advance,
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: solenoid valve Reply with quote

Does anyone have recommendations for 12v solenoid valve? This would be used if I add a second a/c evaporator under bench seat.

I looked on eBay, 1/4” or 1/2” for $15-$20, but not sure if they can handle the pressure. Expensive $115 valve rated to 300 psi found. I suspect this actually refers to valve gate pressures, not the pressures the valve can withstand.

My concern is the valve grenading at high system pressures, not leakage by the gate.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
Farf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Here's one that's not too expensive, ready to go with #6 o-ring connections.

http://www.partdeal.com/hvac/hvac-valves/red-dot-l...T8QAvD_BwE
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 37

Jump to: