Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
within the law
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

SC install almost completed 5 days ?!... think it could have been 3 easy if the SC instructions weren't soooooo poor.... below are photos of the wire that needs to be tied into compressor clutch signal wire for those w/ digifant systems...it signals the idle stabilization unit ... w/g from left engine bay... (p 31 pro training)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: shake down cruise Reply with quote

My first long road trip with the new air conditioning was great! So cold, dare I say it, I was tempted to blend heat in! (Blasphemy! Take him to the whipping post!)

Very happy with the in dash system.

Any thoughts on the rear system? Feedback does help my thought process....
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Wow, I'm jealous, mine's on a long project van, I wish I could experience that as well right now. How gratifying it must be Cool

Congrats!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Even with my Stage 2 fan being dead, the van delivered cold air on a 95 degree day.

Culprits: corroded grounds, burned wiring in the fuse box at position 1.

Solutions: new ground trees from GW, new 30A fuse bypass for fuse position 1.

Someday someone is going to inherit this van and wonder what the hell I did. Better label everything.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Condenser questions Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
My kit is on the way from Small Car.

It seems most people are sourcing their condenser from Nostalgic Air.

I think, as I recall, it is the 16 X 22 Superflow R-134a Condenser Part #54-1622 that gets used.

https://nostalgicac.com/condensers/unpainted-condenser/16-x-22-superflow-r-134a-condenser.html

I believe others have fit 16x24 but I do not see that one on the site.

I want front and rear air working in my Multivan.

With the idea that for such a system bigger is better for the condenser.

Any suggestions / experiences / sources / sizes / fitment issues for a dual air system?

Anybody?

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
within the law
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

dash unit buttoned up .... had new lines made w/ #8 & #10 fittings ac shop but they won't connect to compressor (sanden 7499 or 9264 ac compressor ) purchased at buyautoparts.com ..... as well as all local parts shop selling same unit w/ same size rear threads ( that ac shop couldn't find anything to match ?) .... anyhow i've now got my 8 & 10 fittings in the engine bay & need appropriate compressor ..... suggestions folks ?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

These are standardized fittings, not sure why your compressor won't fit them. You have female #8 and #10 hose connections? Maybe you picked up an oddball overseas unit? Can you switch out the ports on the compressor? Find an adapter?

So go to the parts store and walk the unit out to the vehicle to see if they fit. Don't have a better idea.....
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

I've been watching this thread and plotting my SC install for a few months and now it's time to get it going. I have a few questions:

-- Hoses/fittings: I'll to do the hoses myself. Anyone try EZ Clips? Or should I just get the Mastercool crimper?

-- Are Vintage Air's Superflow condensers any better than a "normal" parallel condenser? The Global Air 16x22 condenser (CN-PF1622) can be had for $55/free ship from Amazon. Nostalgic has a Superflow for $89 + ship.

Thanks.
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Ez clip very easy with smaller hoses.
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Quote:
Ez clip very easy with smaller hoses.

Do you mean the #6 hose or the #6 & #8? If so, what about the #10?

Any issues with leaking from the EZ clip fittings you made?
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

EZ-clip uses GH-134 hoses, designed for the system. All sizes, #6,8, or 10 are much smaller than any other hoses. They feed through the van much easier and have a better bend radius . If you can buy them on Ebay, you'll save $$$.

The parallel condenser I can't address, don't know about the Superflow one. Vintage Air makes high quality products. You need to size the condenser to the Compressor; too big of a compressor can overwhelm the condenser; too small and it can't keep up. You compare the cubic inches in each unit, I think, (not sure) the ratio is about 25% larger condenser. I can look it up if you really want to know. Vintage Air will also give you excellent recommendations, and they're smarter than I am....
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Thanks - I'll check on the condenser size via the compressor. Always assumed that you got the largest one that will fit.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Update on this: my stage 2 fan relay (position 5) was bad. It was a Meyle general relay from GoWesty. I have another Meyle in there now, but I imagine I'll put a VW relay in there soon. I also found a replacement fuse panel for $20. Popped the halves open, cleaned with compressed air, then cleaned with DeOxit, dried, and reassembled. No more melted fuse slots. I also cleaned the van's ground trees. Stage 2 fan is running again. All is well.

kourt

kourt wrote:
... my stage 2 fan function died yesterday.

I look at the fuse box, position 1. The 30A fuse is melted, along with some accompanying wiring. I replaced the fuse, but the fan still does not work.

I'm opening the fuse box tonight and will report back. I am thinking the grounds need cleaning, or the relay (VW type 53) is bad. More later.
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Do I need to add shrouds to the area between the radiator and condenser to keep the fan from sucking air from around the condenser instead of through it?
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

I have the normal VW-Go West air deflectors on mine, but didn't "seal" between the radiator and condenser . Don't let the condenser touch the radiator, though.
vwcrazyfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Hello and thank you to all those that who have posted their work. I will be installing the SC kit over the next few weekends. Quick question, did everyone power the system directly from the battery or was anyone able to utilize the power feed to fuse S15 on a pre 1986? Fuse #15 is the 25A feed for the old AC system. If using fuse 15 have you had any issues? Thanks for the help
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

It has to be key-on power, so fuse15 sounds fine. I didn't think of that!
vwcrazyfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

JudoJeff wrote:
It has to be key-on power, so fuse15 sounds fine. I didn't think of that!

Hi Jeff thanks for the quick reply. The SC kit requires two power connections one keyed (violet wire) and the red 30A circuit breaker. I was hoping to avoid running the red wire back to the battery and just connect it to the 4mm red wire that feeds the old evap rely. My concern is if the 4mm size wire is capable of 30A. 4mm wire is about 6 AWG wire and from what I have read it should be ok, but looking for real world verification to be sure.
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

You're right, I forgot about that. I connected up to the battery with #6 wire.
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: New Radio location Reply with quote

My radio was in front of the shifter, but the new in dash A/C is slightly more forward and I wasn't going into 1st or 3rd maybe one out of ten times.

I listen to audio books while driving so a single mech radio wasn't good enough for my needs. I found a marine radio case on Ebay for $29, and mounted it on the dash.

Now I have the old mount to sell here, it really is rather rare!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 37

Jump to: