Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Alika,
I have the Behr condenser, if you pay for shipping, you can have it. Let me know
Jeff
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

JudoJeff wrote:
Alika,
I have the Behr condenser, if you pay for shipping, you can have it. Let me know
Jeff

Hi Jeff!

My question was for the SmallCar AC I'm doing on thr Syncro, but I'll PM you for the condenser for the Behr project Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
I originally used the 16x24 and it seemed a bit tight. Still worked with the baffles, but it was a struggle.

kourt

Thank you Kourt!

I saw on GoWesty's website it's already tough with the 16x22...

As far as performance, do you see a need for the 16x24?
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Howdy,

I don’t think the inconvenience of the 16x24 is worth the benefit. It’s really a bear to work with, especially if you have to do a radiator or fan replacement down the road.

If you need more condenser area, consider a second condenser, fan driven, in front of the fuel tank bulkhead.

Kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
Howdy,

I don’t think the inconvenience of the 16x24 is worth the benefit. It’s really a bear to work with, especially if you have to do a radiator or fan replacement down the road.

If you need more condenser area, consider a second condenser, fan driven, in front of the fuel tank bulkhead.

Kourt

Thank you sir, that's the answer I was looking for Smile

16x22 it is Smile
YogaSquirrelWESTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Amazing thanks for the first post.

I have an 88 vanagon automatic with A/C consdering removing it anyone done this or have issues with this?

or is this just a bad idea and i should keep it
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

In LA I'd keep it. Read the long A/C thread on how to get it working, very doable.

I'll be in LA for Christmas, in case you want to pick my brain.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

JudoJeff wrote:
In LA I'd keep it...

^^This^^

Forecast is for 102° tomorrow in LA.
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

JudoJeff wrote:
In LA I'd keep it. Read the long A/C thread on how to get it working, very doable.

Jeff, can you point me to the thread? I have an 84 camper with non working A/C above the back seat, and have been considering going through it. It has to be better than nothing.

Thanks!
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=423893&highlight=john+sullivan

There are others, too, you have to put the time in studying
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Hey guys,
Its time for me to choose a condenser for my Smallcar A/C. What are the factors when choosing. Does the motor or compressor come into play?
I saw talk of the Nostalgic air 16x22. Would you all say that's the one to go with. I also see Go-westy has an option as well. Any input?
Thanks GreggK
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

The Go Westy kit is the way to go. It has the brackets pre bent and all the hardware. The only down side is the extra hose that you don't need.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

GreggK wrote:
Hey guys,
Its time for me to choose a condenser for my Smallcar A/C. What are the factors when choosing. Does the motor or compressor come into play?
I saw talk of the Nostalgic air 16x22. Would you all say that's the one to go with. I also see Go-westy has an option as well. Any input?
Thanks GreggK

Hey Gregg:

A larger condenser does not require a larger compressor. In fact, a larger, more efficient condenser can allow a rather small compressor to do its job better. All compressors used on the Vanagon engines and on the vast majority of engine conversions are fixed-displacement compressors. A small handful of popular swap engines do use a variable-displacement compressor. My engine swap is a 1994 Subaru SVX engine which came with a variable-displacement compressor.

On the fixed-displacement compressors, the key thing for compressor longevity is to set up your system to run at the lowest head pressures possible while obtaining effective cooling.

Things that raise head pressures include:

1. High ambient temperatures;
2. Poor choice of refrigerant (R134A comes to mind);
3. Inadequate condenser size;
4. Poor condenser design (parallel-flow designs are best);
5. Inadequate air flow through the condenser;
6. Overfilling refrigerant.
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Hi Howesight,
I'll have to look and see what kind of compressor I have. My engine is a 1.9 SOHC Pumpe Duse. Its a FAS kit. I don't know the dimensions of the condenser Go-westy offers. I didn't measure the original condenser before I recycled it, but is 16x22 an adequate size? Also, what is the ideal refrigerant.
I've never had A/C in any of my vans so this is the first time I've had to learn about it and how it works so sorry if I'm asking basic questions.
Thanks GreggK
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Starting my Install on Saturday. I've been prepping a dash and parts needed before my install.
I will be hooking it up to my 2.2 Subaru which came to me with a Pump and hoses previously converted.
Does a Subaru 2.2 ECU have an enrichment wire like a Digifant which increases the idle when the pump is engaged?
We are doing 2 vans one weekend apart, mine is No 1. My local fabricator will be making all the hoses and drilling the holes and doing the hose install.
Both of our vans will be done exactly alike, same Receiver drier and new Condenser.
I was able to get my dash and heater box pulled, so I am getting bit of a jump on the process.
This install is well documented and I hope to have it in and tied up by day break Saturday.
Samba member # 14980
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Gregg, the PD diesel is bound to have a variable displacement compressor. I needed to disable the feature to get the system to work with a conventional expansion valve. I am not familiar with the smallcar system, but if it is similar to the vintage air system, they operate at a lower low pressure than you would normally expect. R134 has been working fine.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

So I've been playing with two In Dash Installs, Both 2.2 Subaru's and one is a Factory AC van and one is a Syncro.
Wiring is straight forward. I wired my main power to the battery as suggested by VA and other people in this thread. I think that hooking it to the Fan supply wire is probably adequate but I'd prefer safe.
So anyone here with a Subaru have you figured out how to hook up to the ECU for idle stabilization when the pump is activated.
It was mentioned that someone had designed circuit to tie into the water valve to power a water circulation pump. Anyone know of this?
Hoping to have both vans ready for hose fab for Monday and then re install the dash.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
SCP_Austin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

In terms of cooling--I have a high top and i am wondering what specs i would need to ensure cool temps for the entire cabin...

AGN
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

My install is part way done. I need to redo my TDI motor mounts to make room for the AC compressor and lines. I'll be using these engine bars from Tony here in the classifieds. I will need to cut and re clock the passenger side bar to clearance the Compressor.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've got the dash sorted, installed and running hot air. One thing I've not read about in this thread is the clocking of the controls. My fan, temp and vent dial controls are not pointing correctly. They need to be calibrated to correspond to the sweep of the graphics.

The controls work fine, but aren't pointing to the right settings. Anyone else have this issue? Anyone know how to fix it?
meassick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

I installed a Gen IV system in my 87 Westy with the 2.1 engine. Heating output is very low due to the flow restriction of the core in conjunction with the long heater lines. I added an inline pump and wired in a controller to turn the pump on when the Gen IV system is calling for heat and the blower is on. This helps significantly with heat output.

The pump is mounted to the shifter box underneath the van

Here is the circuit that I built to control it. The relay module is available from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PFA83RW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 37

Jump to: