Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Hello All,
In the SC instructions on step #10- Heater fitting installation, you are instructed to "properly lubricate" the O-rings. What would the proper lubricant be?
Thanks, GreggK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Use whatever oil you’re adding to the system, put a dab on your fingers and roll onto the O-ring. For example: Ester 100
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Hi Jeff,
So how do you determine the type of oil to use. Mind you I have NO experience with A/C.
Thanks for the help, GreggK
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

You have to put the hours in studying, gets very expensive, very fast. Some oils can not mix with others. Basically stay with what’s already in the system.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

So mine is in and working, a sh t load of work and after many tries I can not get the Dash vent door to open consistently, I actually pulled the dash back out and pulled the unit back and sat there and played with the door and removed the stepper motor and watched its operation.
It looks a little out of square inside with the cover off, I tried it about 30 times before re-installing it and it seemed to work every time. Once reinstalled and the last screw was in I took it for a drive and the door opened about 4 times and will only open if you keep jiggling the control lever.
Has anyone else had this issue with the dash not getting airflow? I talked with VA and they were helpful and told me to remove the Stepper motor and cycle the door and re install the stepper motor. I am not looking forward to pulling this again.
Some come on fess up I can't be the only one. A few pictures of my project.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Hey 16cv's-

Just for clarity- your system is a Vintage Air, but not the variant being sold by Small Car, right?
Some people call him Maurice...
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
So mine is in and working, a sh t load of work and after many tries I can not get the Dash vent door to open consistently, I actually pulled the dash back out and pulled the unit back and sat there and played with the door and removed the stepper motor and watched its operation.
It looks a little out of square inside with the cover off, I tried it about 30 times before re-installing it and it seemed to work every time. Once reinstalled and the last screw was in I took it for a drive and the door opened about 4 times and will only open if you keep jiggling the control lever.
Has anyone else had this issue with the dash not getting airflow? I talked with VA and they were helpful and told me to remove the Stepper motor and cycle the door and re install the stepper motor. I am not looking forward to pulling this again.
Some come on fess up I can't be the only one. A few pictures of my project.

I like the additional fuse location, but I'd prefer to see a waterproof cover over it considering the location.

When you are installing the stepper motor or the little square - is there a chance the mount is going out of square when tightening the screws?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Yes, mine is a home brew. The stepper motor just clicks right on and works perfectly once installed so I don't think that's the issue. Its more to do with the actual door. I am hoping it can be programmed out or i'm going to find some way to open that door from the surface when it sticks.
I was thinking about making an ABS cover for the fuse panel but I like the industrial look. I don't think weather will affect them.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
artacoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

I didn't have any issues with the door but one of the switches was faulty and would only work if I pushed in hard while turning , SC charged me $35 for a replacement. Evil or Very Mad
Nice job on the fuse panel , it seems these vans are always a work in progress so easy access is vital.
2.5 Subie
86 Doka
2.5 Subie
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

I would have gone back to VA for that switch, their cust service is top notch.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
I would have gone back to VA for that switch, their cust service is top notch.

Stacy

Hi Stacy!

your installation is clean, you put a lot of work and thoughts on it!

The SC switch is not from VA. Classic of SC to make you pay for defect product replacements....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

That switch is straight from the VA catalog. SC just had a Facia made, which was well done.
If you look at the VA catalog they have quite a few options for switches including the black slide switch I used.
Thanks for the positive comments, I am happy with the end result, I didn't want some funky plate and screws on the surface and different dash grills.
There are quite a few differences between an SC set up and a basic VA kit.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Stacy,
That's a nice looking install you got there. Did you use the Go-Westy A/C condenser?
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Yes I used the GW condenser kit. It is well engineered and it fits well. It came with a conversion hose that I did not not need. I askd them if I could buy it without the hose and they said the kit would be more expensive in the long run.
We did 2 systems side by side and we sent the extra hoses back in an attempt to be GREEN. I didn't want anything back and that's a good thing because I didn't get anything back.
I am waiting for a hot day for a road trip to go out and try it. Thanks for the compliment, I thought it through and am happy with the end product.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

I've got the dash sorted, installed and running hot air. One thing I've not read about in this thread is the clocking of the controls. My fan, temp and vent dial controls are not pointing correctly. They need to be calibrated to correspond to the sweep of the graphics.

The controls work fine, but aren't pointing to the right settings. Anyone else have this issue? Anyone know how to fix it? Thanks.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Call Vintage Air, there is a programming protocol they will walk you through. Before calling, be at your car and have the Programming wire exposed(orange or Purple I think) I'd have to look in the Install sheets. Anyway you will need to ground that lead and do a series of setting to program the controllers.
The VA people are knowledgeable and patient. But you will need to be near the unit unless you want to write it all down.

Good luck
Stacy
Samba member # 14980
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
Call Vintage Air, there is a programming protocol they will walk you through. Before calling, be at your car and have the Programming wire exposed(orange or Purple I think) I'd have to look in the Install sheets. Anyway you will need to ground that lead and do a series of setting to program the controllers.
The VA people are knowledgeable and patient. But you will need to be near the unit unless you want to write it all down.

Good luck
Stacy

I recall something like that in the notes but thought it was for a custom install if I supplied aftermarket switches. Which, technically, in the eyes of VA - maybe the SC is? I’m guessing all SC folks would have this issue.

I will report back. Thanks again.
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Hello all,
I'm reading over the trinary switch wiring for my SC in-dash unit. I went back and saw Judo Jeff's post confirming that the one blue wire from the switch goes to Vanagon fan relay #86 and the other blue wire goes to "ground".
On my SC diagram it shows one of the blue wires from the trinary going the Vanagon fan relay #86 and the other blue going to a red wire coming off the 30 amp SC circuit breaker going into the SC compressor relay.
Can any one explain that to me , I'm a bit confused. Thanks GreggK
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Part of the confusion is from the vintage air diagram. The blue wire goes to a normally open switch on the trinary switch control. When the system pressure gets high enough, the switch closes. You can wire the blue wires therefore on the ground side to interrupt the the ground signal or the positive side to send a signal to the fan.
It also depends on if you have a 2 speed fan or a 3 speed fan. If you previously had AC you have a 3 speed fan. If you have an early model van or a Syncro without AC then you have a 2 speed fan. Otherwise likely you have a 3 speed fan. You can also look at your fan resistor behinf the drivers headlight and see if you have 2 or 3 wires coming off it.
Ideally you want the blue trinary switch wired to medium speed on a 3 way fan, and the compressor wired to low speed on a 3 speed fan, that way there will always be some flow across the radiator while the AC is running.
On my job I had a syncro without AC and had a 2 speed 450 watt fan. I had the blue wire originally wired from 12v+ to trinary switch to the 86 relay on the high powered relay behind the fuse box - it was way too loud and went on too often. So I bought a 3 speed fan resistor from van cafe and wired up 2 additional relays so that the compressor would trigger the low speed circuit whenever AC was on and the trinary switch blue wires would trigger the relay for the medium speed circuit. The high speed circuit on all vans bypass the radiator with a direct relay to the fan itself located behind the fuse box on the Pillar.
Hopefully that helps - basically the blue wire should trigger either your medium or high speed and can be used on the ground side or the supply side. If you’re using it on the 86 relay to high speed as you mentioned then one blue goes to 86 and the other blue goes to ignition controlled power.
But I highly recommend converting to a 3 speed resistor if you don’t have one and witing as described above
Cheers!
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Good info there Pcforno. I did get in touch with Mao @ SC and he confirmed to connect trinary blue wire to 12v (red wire from 30amp circuit breaker to SC compressor relay) and to #86 on vanagon fan relay. Are you saying that #86 on vanagon relay is high speed fan speed. I do have a 3speed fan, my van did have factory A/C. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 37

Jump to: