Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

MN to AZ trip: COMPLETED
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:02 pm    Post subject: MN to AZ trip: COMPLETED Reply with quote

i'm hitting the open road on Feb 19 or 20th for a period of unknown length, breadth, and width.

Mission: to have some fun with my wife whom i'll be picking up in Flagstaff, both now post-retirement, first time in our lives with no schedule. also, to bring an auto transmission to AZ and return with a 4spd.

Vehicle: the ratty 87 Westy. Titian Red. can we even have fun with a vehicle with seam rust and dents??!! Stay Tuned! stock 2.1 w/4spd.

Route: avoids some high passes, avoids most interstates, meanders to see several friends. hot springs mapped out.

Spares on Board: TNTM. Too Numerous To Mention. let's just say that if you're stranded and i roll up behind you it might be your lucky day.

Dress Code: Riggs WorkWear Ranger ripstop pants, merino t shirt, US Navy surplus blue short sleeve shirt, wool Army jeep cap. pretty much my Armageddon clothes.

Driving food: cinnamon raisin bagels, dried figs, Wasa crackers, Spam.

Coffee: i'll bring several pounds of fresh roasted Tanzanian peaberry, taken into second crack.

Shower facilities: a daily can of orange Klarbrun fizzy water, using the 'cleaning power of CO2' to freshen old guys that smell like cheese and gear oil.

Toilet facilites: Luggable Loo + magic powder + trash bags.

Ancilliaries: NAPA awning, hatch tent, 100w solar + AGM + Renogy DC charger

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com

Last edited by DanHoug on Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: MN to AZ trip Reply with quote

Sounds like my kind of road trip.
Don't forget the matches!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: MN to AZ trip Reply with quote

Awesome. Enjoy!

I'll be in Tucson the first weekend in March if you are around there then. Unfortunately not in one of my buses though.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: MN to AZ trip Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Awesome. Enjoy!

I'll be in Tucson the first weekend in March if you are around there then. Unfortunately not in one of my buses though.

cool! i have tentative plans to be in Ajo approaching March 5 so i'll be "in the area".

www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: MN to AZ trip Reply with quote

Love it!

You’ll be missing all my favorites (SE Utah) but you’re a clever guy & I may learn something from your report(s)… Rock on!

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: MN to AZ trip Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Love it!

You’ll be missing all my favorites (SE Utah) but you’re a clever guy & I may learn something from your report(s)… Rock on!

Cool

- Dave

that route is just the way down! who knows what route the way back goes! it's so strange not having a date we have to get back by. we've both had demanding jobs that we were each the sole person that could do our jobs so the freedom is unreal.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: MN to AZ trip Reply with quote

Stop in for Syncro Solstice in May.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: MN to AZ trip Reply with quote

This sounds like a wonderful trip! Enjoy the new freedom from schedules.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: MN to AZ trip Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
i'm hitting the open road on Feb 19 or 20th for a period of unknown length, breadth, and width.

When I grow up, I want to be just like you!!
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: MN to AZ trip Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Awesome. Enjoy!

Keep in touch. I am picking up my van the day after tomorrow and will be heading east through El Centro, Yuma and on to Tucson. We plan on doing Bisbee Tombstone and Douglas. Maybe Baja after. Safe travels!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: MN to AZ trip Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
DanHoug wrote:

When I grow up, I want to be just like you!!

that would imply i'm grown up.... but thanks!

www.thefixitworkshop.com
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: MN to AZ trip Reply with quote

Great route. Colorado's eastern plains are far more beautiful than people give credit for. Your route takes you fairly close to the Sand Creek Massacre National Historic Site. It's way, WAY out there but very worthwhile.

Safe travels!!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ghia_Matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: MN to AZ trip Reply with quote

We have made that trip 3 times now in our 85 Westy, since we work remotely out of the desert in the winter. We tend to head straight down 35 to get out of the cold as quick as possible. My wife is also nervous about potential snow storms in the mountains as well, so there's that.

Let me know if you have any questions. Your route looks like more fun than ours.

Matt

p.s. I think you know my brother in Bemidji

(we left during a snow storm this year)

deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: MN to AZ trip Reply with quote

Where is that #F stop in NM? Looks like you’ll be in my neighborhood (just outside Santa Fe), if you want to stop in for a beer or a place to park.
Not sure of your exact route, but you might look into Chaco Canyon (Chaco Culture National Historical Park), beautiful remains of a Pueblo cultural townsite- really worth a visit in northwestern NM. If you venture a little further into California, definitely check out Joshua Tree Nat Monument.
I’ll be heading west on the way to Calif in a couple weeks, over on I10, down through Flag, maybe I’ll see you somewhere along the way.
Past loves: '65 Bug, '70 Westy poptop, '64 Squareback project, '76 Westy tintop "Loose Lucy", '76 Westy tintop "Sharee"
Current:'84 Westy poptop "Ramblin' Rose- Rosie" w/ 2003 Subaru EJ25 conversion
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: MN to AZ trip Reply with quote

all those points are shaping points to force The Google to take the roads i want. F is Gallina. tentatively plotted a route back, everything is just a suggestion of where we'll actually go.

after trying to force Google Maps and Garmin Basecamp to do what i wanted, i've settled on My Maps by Google. a different product than Google Maps, it allows better shaping via towns and features you input and saves across all your devices with a Google login of course. also have HERE maps of the entire US loaded onto a decrepit Verizon/LG tablet that has a GPS chip. since it will be offline the whole time, not that great of a routing tool but it displays a zoomable map much nicer than my tiny phone or old skool GPS. Dashboard electronics will be Garmin GPS, iPhone 6s, tablet running HERE, and a Uniden scanner with GPS frequency updating, legal for licensed Ham operators to run in the vehicle and kinda fun to get a flavor of the area. old fart stuff.

-dan
KC0REX (used to run a 91.7MHz rig with 100kW final)

www.thefixitworkshop.com
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: MN to AZ trip Reply with quote

Well Dan, I am very envious. I am also impressed with the full disclosure of road food and road sanitation. Props to you and Ms. Houg for a trip I am sure is well-deserved. It would be great if you could hit Syncro Solstice in May!

My last time in Minnesota was as a teenager visiting family in Dilworth. A nice place in summer, not so much in the winter without a fast sled. On that trip, I travelled with one cousin who raced a dirt-track stock car (at Red River) and the other raced a Pro-Stock car at Brainerd. Many friendly motorsports folks all over that part of the world!
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: MN to AZ trip Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
Well Dan, I am very envious. I am also impressed with the full disclosure of road food and road sanitation. Props to you and Ms. Houg for a trip I am sure is well-deserved. It would be great if you could hit Syncro Solstice in May!

My last time in Minnesota was as a teenager visiting family in Dilworth. A nice place in summer, not so much in the winter without a fast sled.

i'm excited too! of course, doing the pre-trip oil change this morning i had the oil plug strip out. it's been feeling funky the last 2 changes and this time brought threads with it. dang. have a Helicoil coming tomorrow morning and should be ok.

Winter is fine in the North as the mosquitos are down in numbers then. this is my fast sled....

Link

www.thefixitworkshop.com
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: MN to AZ trip Reply with quote

Flagstaff is nice since they have seasons but the Phoenix area sucks unless you enjoy 100 degrees most days. My sister & brother-in-law moved down there about 10 years ago & they spend most of their time inside with the AC on. They went from one extreme to the other having previously lived in northern Wisconsin.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: MN to AZ trip Reply with quote

Look me up when you get to Santa Fe.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: MN to AZ trip Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
Flagstaff is nice since they have seasons but the Phoenix area sucks unless you enjoy 100 degrees most days. My sister & brother-in-law moved down there about 10 years ago & they spend most of their time inside with the AC on. They went from one extreme to the other having previously lived in northern Wisconsin.

I'd agree with you if Dan's trip was May-Sept, but right now is a great time of year to visit Phoenix (and other lower altitude areas of the SW) with temps ~45°F-75°F. It probably won't hit 100°F in Phoenix until May or June. Flagstaff has very cold lows this time of year and will probably still see some single digit lows this year. As I type this Flagstaff is currently getting a dump of snow ~12". Summer weather in Flagstaff is as good as it gets anywhere, IMO.

Last edited by ?Waldo? on Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: