Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what is your cabinet setup? (Interior Organization)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:14 am    Post subject: what is your cabinet setup? (Interior Organization) Reply with quote

I was wondering what everyones cabinet setups are? what do you put in what cabinets, and what solutions have you found for ease of access/ storage? I got a west about 5 months ago and am still trying to find my setup for longer camping trips.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: what is your cabinet setup? Reply with quote

Kitchen cabinet and drawer -Kitchen junk along with dried goods and cans.

Bench -Jumper cables, tools, diesel heater, house battery, inverter, leveling blocks, jack, jumper cables, junk.

Little cabinet next to fridge- side of the divider has my fuse box, mppt, etc. Rightside has wipes, ziploc bag full of glovewerks gloves, Bentley.

Above that right of the water cabinet. Is junk I think I need easy access but never use

Water cabinet - see above

Coat closet - pillows, bedding, my clothes, gf clothes, blankets, soft stuff

Back have closet - water hoses, extension cords, surge protector, clear tubing for the grey water tank, lpg extension for refilling the propane, traffic signaling led and a passive reflective triangle, dogs long leads, other junk.

I unload the westy every trip. I mean completely unload. So when I repack its always different. And I find when I'm down the road I reorganize as I go. Basically, at the end of my trip when I pull into my driveway is how it should have been packed in the beginning.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: what is your cabinet setup? Reply with quote

I keep mine pretty simple and travel relatively light. These are older photos and while the general organization is the same we're more tidy these days.

Front to back: pots, pans, utensils, and other cookware in the cabinet/drawer under the sink.

Nearly all of our trips revolve around mountain biking so we removed the stock 'fridge and it now carries bike helmets, shoes, backpacks, and things like binoculars and headlamps.

Cabinets under the table hold food, paper towels/plates, and the liquor/wine supply.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Under the bench storage is tools, the "camp wok", axe, bike locks, Bocci Ball set, the Bentley and Digifant manuals, some fluids and other spare parts (but not NEARLY the amount of stuff some others Sambanistas tote along). Tow strap and some other things I hope to never need (except that wok, axe, and Bocci Ball set). We also keep the front table in here while travelling.

The big closet (not shown) is our bedding and, on the rare occasions we need it, a groover/potti. The rear closet is toiletries, first aid, some books, and a hammock, and our solar shower setup.

We keep a spare blanket and a collapsible shower tent in the top bunk. The rear tray at the top of the hatch door carries a small shovel (toilet pits, putting out fires, and mild recovery work), and heavy gloves for fooling around with firepits and splitting firewood.

Camp chairs, table, collapsible grey water bucket (also used to put out campfires), and a mat for outside the slider door are lashed to the luggage bin on top of the roof. We'll also throw an empty 5-gallon water jug up there if we think we'll need to supplement the stock water tank for longer periods away from water sources.

Our clothes (in two duffel bags), my ukulele, leveling blocks (if we think we need them) go above the engine. Other misc things (fishing rod) go in the spice tray above the galley. If we take firewood we put it in a carboard box or "burrito" on the floor. Cooler sits behind the passenger seat.

Unlike the poster above, other than our clothes, bike gear, and leftover food / water, we leave EVERYTHING in the van between trips. Our favorite part of owning a Westy is that it's ready to go at the drop of a hat.
Andymon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: what is your cabinet setup? Reply with quote

Spunes wrote:
I was wondering what everyones cabinet setups are? what do you put in what cabinets, and what solutions have you found for ease of access/ storage? I got a west about 5 months ago and am still trying to find my setup for longer camping trips.

I added two customish.net drawers and also his drawer divider. I removed the stock fridge for more storage. Plus the Ketzel on the passenger seat and the Bravo on the rear cabinet.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: what is your cabinet setup? Reply with quote

There's a similar thread here with many more ideas but I couldn't locate it.

We use container store boxes everywhere in the house and van. They're cheap and if treated with care last for years. What they lose in space efficiency they more than make up for in ease of access and organization.

Under the sink: food, energy bars, sardines and beans. The battery has since moved out and has been replaced with another stack of boxes.

In the Westy closet (with added door to improve access). Chothes:

In the little cabinet, cleaning and pooping supplies:

Container store boxes in the Mountainsmith organizers. Three fit under the bench, only one has boxes, the others are for outerwear (rain jackets, insulated jkts) and footwear.
From the very long thread on Mountainsmith bags:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

The vanaru product that creates storage in the hatch. sheets and pillows go here:

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: what is your cabinet setup? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

Ooh, I like the netting to hold sunblock etc. That might be something I add to mine.
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: what is your cabinet setup? Reply with quote

Kitchen drawer= matches cotton balls and vasoline (for camp fire starter)
Kitchen cab to right= propane
Spice rack= liquid soap (will be used to duct ac up front in the near future)
lower left of fridge=Car fluids
upper left= can goods
above water= more can goods and tea
closet=sleeping bags
rear closet=towels, led light strip, heater
shelf behind rear closet=jumper cables
behind ac= ext cord, campsite power adapters, torque wrench
under bench= sockets, jack, coleman, various wrench's, hammers, spare parts and ratchets
Bentley and map sits nicely in the space to the left of the bench seat (where the hinges and prop are
A lot of cargo netting for fruits and dry goods
A box behind the passenger seat loaded with cookware spices knives and forks and plates

the cooler sits, strapped in, on top of the box while in transit
Also, have a tool organizer/seat cover behind the passenger seat
something like this:

Lastly, Ive stopped carrying the 2 tops and the rear table support (after 5 yrs of ownership ive never used them)
Rear discs
Spunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: what is your cabinet setup? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

I love the addition of the door for ease of access, I want to do the same thing but Im having trouble finding a door
Spunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: what is your cabinet setup? Reply with quote

Andymon wrote:

Are the pull-out drawers worth the $60? Ive had my eye on them for a while, just havent had the spare funds, im trying to prioritize things like solar, another battery, roof rack etc
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: what is your cabinet setup? Reply with quote

Spunes wrote:
jimf909 wrote:
[img]

I love the addition of the door for ease of access, I want to do the same thing but Im having trouble finding a door

The door is super helpful. Many people use a fridge door but I've cut down a table top the two times I've done this mod because the fridge door is a bit short. Both can be hard to find.

Threads, be sure to check out the sliding door mods:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416764

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: what is your cabinet setup? Reply with quote

l posted this thread many years ago.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=564460&highlight=

619 201 0310
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: what is your cabinet setup? Reply with quote

Spunes wrote:
Are the pull-out drawers worth the $60? Ive had my eye on them for a while, just havent had the spare funds, im trying to prioritize things like solar, another battery, roof rack etc

I love them- I put two in my Westy. I had to modify the mounting a bit due to previously modifying the cabinetry to fit a larger Truckfridge. The drawers really help us organize our kitchen supplies and they make all of it way easier to get to. Assuming you have stock cabinets, install is a breeze.
Some people call him Maurice...
WestiT3_1986
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: what is your cabinet setup? Reply with quote

Spunes wrote:
jimf909 wrote:

You don't need a separate door- you can build the door out of the existing cabinet wall, because the door needs the gap to the outer cabinet wall anyway.
You need the ability to cut out the exact shape as a thin 3-4mm line though (best with the cabinet out of the car) - and the door trim (and ability to do the notch for the trim along the side of the new door)

as well as the hinges.

Nice thing about that is, that you are able to match the door size to the original small door.

Here is how we did the door on my daughters California.

Greets
Sven
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: what is your cabinet setup? Reply with quote

Spunes, I was about to PM you about this topic — but just noticed you didn’t open the PM I sent about helping you set up your solar in December, so you probably never saw it.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: what is your cabinet setup? Reply with quote

Neato.

How did you cut the door out with a 3-4mm kerf, esp. on the radii? Exceptionally meticulous use of a circular saw? Router? Something else?

Regardless, this is a nice way to efficiently use the materials on-hand. Well done.

Also, what is this?

WestiT3_1986 wrote:

You don't need a separate door- you can build the door out of the existing cabinet wall, because the door needs the gap to the outer cabinet wall anyway.
You need the ability to cut out the exact shape as a thin 3-4mm line though (best with the cabinet out of the car) - and the door trim (and ability to do the notch for the trim along the side of the new door)

as well as the hinges.

Nice thing about that is, that you are able to match the door size to the original small door.

Here is how we did the door on my daughters California.

Greets
Sven
[img][/img]

Abscate wrote:

WestiT3_1986
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: what is your cabinet setup? Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

I used a oscillating tool to make the first notch on a straight part and then a jigsaw with a double sided (curve) blade - to keep the laminate from ripping and very, very slowly made my way through.

The picture shows the molding for the half embedded doors:

https://www.bus-ok.de/T25-profile-for-Westfalia-Cabinet-doors-brown-TOP - I used grey molding on the California of course...

Greets
Sven
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: what is your cabinet setup? Reply with quote

WestiT3_1986 wrote:
Hi Jim,

I used a oscillating tool to make the first notch on a straight part and then a jigsaw with a double sided (curve) blade - to keep the laminate from ripping and very, very slowly made my way through.

The picture shows the molding for the half embedded doors:

https://www.bus-ok.de/T25-profile-for-Westfalia-Cabinet-doors-brown-TOP - I used grey molding on the California of course...

Greets
Sven

Yes. This is how I did mine as well on my westy. It can be done exactly this way.

Use this style blade. And if you are really goood you can start the cut with it as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-T101AO3-3-Piece-T-Sha...8&th=1

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: what is your cabinet setup? Reply with quote

I think a tambour door would be perfect for that space.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: what is your cabinet setup? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I think a tambour door would be perfect for that space.
Sliding doors work very well - and access is possible with bedding etc piled up behind the seat. Wink Plus with a tipping shelf you can get right to the bottom of the 'black hole'. Smile

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: what is your cabinet setup? (Interior Organization) Reply with quote

That's very nice!

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: