Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Top End Rebuild here I come
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Island Bwoy 420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It runs enough to drive it to the shop the first time and then back home again. (2 months ago) It sat for a little while and I took the FI off and put dual 34's on it. From that point on I couldnt get it to run for anymore than a minute or so. It would just crap out, even if I increased the throttle, then I had that popping noise problem. But anyways it was towed up to the shop and the cdl was done and thats when he found out about all the leakage issues and compression problems with the engine. And here we are now. The original problem was when it had FI it was running alright till I got to about 3rd gear and then it would put out barely any power. Then at a stop going to accelerate it would take forever and barely get going. This happened twice. But it sits now with low compression and a mess of other issues all around the bus. So I need to fix this and get driving. Ill find out about the leakdown test.
pawesty
Samba Medic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your looking for a new home for the F.I. stuff i'm sure i can find space in my garage Very Happy
dave

79 westy
78 westy

purveyor of refurbed westies and parts!!! inquire within!

Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's time to step up to the plate my friend...

If your 'friendly" mechcanic says he'll rebuild your top end for XX amount and then turns around and says that the engine has about 200,000 miles on it...... I WOULD BE VERY SKEPTICAL OF HIS MOTIVES. An honest/knowledgable engine builder wouldn't even recommend a top end rebuild on an engine that they think has that kind of mileage. Think about it for a minute...
NeverHadaBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your original question asked if we thought you could do this yourself. It would be tough to do the whole thing without direct assistance and the right equipment, but you could certainly do part of it. I suggest you pull the engine and disassemble it down to the short block which basically means taking off all the tin, cylinder heads, cylinders, and even the pistons if you want. After the cylinders are removed you need to keep the pistons wrapped with soft rags to keep them from getting scratched up. As long as you are careful then you can't really screw this up.

After you get everything taken apart then take the parts to a good machine shop or mechanic and have them inspect the heads and do a complete valve job if necessary. Have them inspect the rod bearings and shine a light in the case to look at the cam. These are some of the technical things that you need a qualified person to do. Take their advice with regards to your next move regarding top end, bottom end, new rings, new everything, valve job, or whatever. When the long block if finished you can put everything back together and reinstall the engine in the bus. This will save you some bucks by doing the grunt work and get your feet wet with experience. Good luck.
Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got your PM about the Hoover stuff. I'll see what I can do.

As far as the rebuild stuff is concerned... educate yourself. Contrary to whats been posted here, there are lots of things you can screw up pretty quickly with out the proper experience/information
Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This goes with the post above. (got kicked off) I would highly recommend getting the Bug-Me video that pretains to your engine.

If the area where you live is anything like where I live, half the people building' VW's are baseing there knowledge on years of the " It's a VW... It's supposed to leak!" mentality. From what you already said about the guy who has seen your engine, he might good company for these folks.

Unless you decided that there is no way on Earth that your gonna do this yourself. I would plan on spending some bucks to have it built by someone with a known reputation. It'll be worth it.

In the year I've been around these boards ( the Samba and STF) I've seen enough weird things to know that it's not unusual for a person to be re- building thier re-build shortly after it's just been re-built.
Island Bwoy 420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, I know what you mean. I think I have solved my problem though. I am going to altogether get a different bus for about 200 dollars less than it would cost to do a top end on mine. Plus Id rather have the manual tranny. I am going to have the bus checked out first and if everything goes over good then I get it and drive it home. It has everything I need in a good bus and when owned by a guy who has over 75 v dubs. This was his nice daily driver and I am hopefully going to steal it. Wish me luck guys. Anyone wanna buy a 78' that needs a top end rebuild, with an auto tranny? Laughing

Kyle
Rich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna be breaking my motor down again after only 2K. It is hard to screw up, but obviously doable.

I've gone over the rebuild a couple of times in my head and have given myself this advice which I will share with you: calibrate your torque wrench (assuming this can be done) and have your heads rebuilt by someone who is familiar with the type 4 engine. Real familiar. I'd recommend that you pay the extra and ship the heads to a known, reputable type 4 head rebuilder. Same principle applies to any machine work.
Rich
'72 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey rich, what happend to your engine after only 2000 miles?
Rich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure yet. My symptoms are alot like Island Bwoys in that it lost power and would take along time to get up to 50 mph. If I tried to go over 50 it would just pop , sputter and hesitiate. I figure I lost compression somewhere, lots of soot in the fan and on the #3 spark plug insulator. The motor still turns over nice, so that's good. I'll keep you posted, but I probably won't know for sure what happenend until the spring.

Rich
'72 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich wrote:
calibrate your torque wrench (assuming this can be done)

It depends. If you are using the old school bar type torque wrench you'll never get close even if the tool is new.

If you've got one of the clicker type and you don't store it in the 10 ft.lbs. "unsprung" setting, it will loose it's accuracy fairly quickly with use. Was it 4% accurate when new? 6%? Not specified?

If you bought your torque wrench from Harbor Freight, they certainly don't offer any services. Sears (I have one), nope. Snap on? Yep.

I haven't bought every brand to find out but most likely Snap on is one of the few that not only gives you a certificate that states the accuracy at 20/60/100% but you can get it recalibrated for $50 and give you another certificate for $35. That's more than another cheapo torque wrench. Interesting economics.

Expensive to own one of these items? Yes. Accurate? Sure is. I'd love to pick up one cheap on eBay but who knows where it's been. Would it be more accurate than buying another cheapo model brand new? Think about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ratwell wrote:
Rich wrote:
calibrate your torque wrench (assuming this can be done)

It depends. If you are using the old school bar type torque wrench you'll never get close even if the tool is new.

If you've got one of the clicker type and you don't store it in the 10 ft.lbs. "unsprung" setting, it will loose it's accuracy fairly quickly with use. Was it 4% accurate when new? 6%? Not specified?

If you bought your torque wrench from Harbor Freight, they certainly don't offer any services. Sears (I have one), nope. Snap on? Yep.

I haven't bought every brand to find out but most likely Snap on is one of the few that not only gives you a certificate that states the accuracy at 20/60/100% but you can get it recalibrated for $50 and give you another certificate for $35. That's more than another cheapo torque wrench. Interesting economics.

Expensive to own one of these items? Yes. Accurate? Sure is. I'd love to pick up one cheap on eBay but who knows where it's been. Would it be more accurate than buying another cheapo model brand new? Think about it.

Last year I think it was there was a raging debate over the old "pointer type" wrench VS the click type. got kinda heated....

I'm with you a low scale click type is IMO the best and Yes I have a Snap-on so I m biased tword it. One way to check the calibration I used to do was to let my Snap-on guy ( this one was cool not a stuck up asshole like so many of them damn truck dealers are) he would let me use a new in the box one and test toruqe a few things set up in the shop side by side of my old one...

stayed accurate for many many years and one day a helper dropped the darn thing and it landed on the butt of the wrench! needless to say I was pissed. But the Snap ON dealer lent me one for 2 weeks while mine was out getting checked over.

Mac Tools and Cornwell offer good quality too.

When purchasing for VW engine building you must get one that starts at the lowest toque scale you can ( 10-12 ft lbs?)
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the same "pointer-style" junky Sears torque wrench for at least 24 years now. The pointer has a kink in it, so I have to handicap the readings 3 or so foot/pounds. This wrench has served me through VW, Porsche, Toyota, BMW, and even a Buick yech, overhauls and I have sort of reached an intuitive sense of what is tight enough. Consistency and clean threads seem to be the most important part of assembly. I read about some horrible test where it was determined that you lose like 10% of your actual clamping force every time you reuse a fastener. I've been hoping there is a generous margin in the required torque specifications.
Colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I've been using the same "pointer-style" junky Sears torque wrench for at least 24 years now.

I can't figure you out Colin. Sometimes you're Mr. high tech with the infrared non-contact thermometer checking your temps of your heater boxes and other times you're using the oldest sloppiest cheapest tools.

Granted a 24 year old craftsman was build better than the ones sold today buy you are indeed a curios fellow. My hat off to you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whip618
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have an old craftsman beam type torque wrench or pointer- style
as some refer to it as, I think I bought it in the late sixties and it's still an
accurate torque wrench, I check it on a torque annalizer several times a
year but I only like to use it when I'm torqueing above 70 ft.lbs. Other
wise I us my MAC inlbs., or ftlbs. clicker-type wrenches. The clicker-type
wrenches have a more positive feel
Phil
Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Skept! Glad you're back! Where 'ya been?

I agree with the Rat.... You're wierd.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottomend wrote:
Hey Skept! Glad you're back! Where 'ya been?
I agree with the Rat.... You're wierd.

Just got back from a Christmas high-speed loop to Boston, up 93 to 89 to Burlington, VT, back down to Danielson, CT, then back to Rochester, NY at something like 80-85 mph on my poor Blizzaks on dry roads, barely any snow/ice except for the Green Mountains for a short spell.
Good wine and blackwing ostrich in Burlington, grilled rack-of-lamb and more good wine in Boston, plenty of cheap dope and nasty white lightening in Danielson, and a ridiculous enebriated pool tournament here in Kendall to usher in the New Year, but sure was a lot of fun.
Colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<blackwing ostrich>>

Sounds like you've been liveing on road-kill for a while. I guess the front of a bus makes a good weapon when your're hungry and a cheeeeep skate. Remember to floss. It makes a difference... really.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: