Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting rid of the gas tank
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
StevieC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Getting rid of the gas tank Reply with quote

I think I'm gonna run a spun fuel tank behind the rear seat of my buggy

I think the stock front tank makes noise up there besides being almost useless as far as capacity due to the angle of my buggy

can I just take the front tank out and leave that area open underneath?
RedBaronofRedBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont see why not. Just make sure you cap off the steel line in the tunnel on both ends just in case you want to go with a different option like one of the tanks that Brad (iguana) has available for our buggies at a later date.

The tank removed will make it a bit lighter in the front (tank + gas) so be aware of that. Have you thought about what method you will use for tank level indication?

My two pennies…your mileage may vary

I’m not a complete idiot, there are parts missing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
StevieC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, my steel line runs outside the tunnel on the right side... unless that the brake line

I'm gonna buy one of those spun tanks with the fuel sender flanges

one of these

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to get 10 gallons of useable fuel from the stock tank, but it might take some work.

You might need to move the filler to the top rear of the tank.

You also might need to make sure the petcock on the bottom doesn't have "main and reserve" feeds and that you might be on the main.

You also probably need to take off the hood and ensure the tank is properly supported from below by brackets and secured by tabs.

Perching the fuel tank up above the back seat sounds like a poor design
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to put something to cover the hole where the fuel tank was, to keep air/dust/fod from coming up thru that hole and into the cabin at your feet.
StevieC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
You should be able to get 10 gallons of useable fuel from the stock tank, but it might take some work.

You might need to move the filler to the top rear of the tank.

You also might need to make sure the petcock on the bottom doesn't have "main and reserve" feeds and that you might be on the main.

You also probably need to take off the hood and ensure the tank is properly supported from below by brackets and secured by tabs.

Perching the fuel tank up above the back seat sounds like a poor design

I'm draining the gas now, I'mg gonna pull the fuel outlet from the bottom of the tank and see what's going on with it

I'm guessing I could just pull the hood and flip the tank around with the filler to the rear and cut a new hole for the filler cap wherever it ends up

Something is making heavy noises over the whoops at speed and I'm guessing it's the tank

anyway I was thinking here behind the back seat is a perfect place for the spun aluminum tank

StevieC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wythac wrote:
You will need to put something to cover the hole where the fuel tank was, to keep air/dust/fod from coming up thru that hole and into the cabin at your feet.

thanks that's what I wondering, I don't want to mess with all that
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you put your primary tank elsewhere all you would need to do is put a shutoff valve on the spigot coming out of the original tank, them reroute or T the fuel line to your new tank.

I like the weight of the fuel up front for Fore and Aft balance. My tank has a 9.3 gal capacity...if it was only 5 I'd be lookin at options too...
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just me, but I think you would be able to find a fuel cell that would fit that location for close to the same price as one of those spun tanks. And I'd bet you could find one that was 10 gallons or more. With the fuel cell, you would be able to situate and angle it to get your full flow, since most of those tanks are square or rectangular. That would keep the weight on the front end and, if you got one with the foam, allow a little bit of crash protection.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lostinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get 9 1/2 gallons out of my stock VW tank in my Manx. I have seen the brackets on the spun aluminum tanks fail on sandrails that were in an accident, I wouldn't want that behind me without more protection from it..
RIP Morgan

My photos
http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album92
StevieC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
It's just me, but I think you would be able to find a fuel cell that would fit that location for close to the same price as one of those spun tanks. And I'd bet you could find one that was 10 gallons or more. With the fuel cell, you would be able to situate and angle it to get your full flow, since most of those tanks are square or rectangular. That would keep the weight on the front end and, if you got one with the foam, allow a little bit of crash protection.

that sounds like the best plan, any idea what the dimensions would be?
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this for an idea:

You have a lifted body which should give you more room on the underside of the stock tank. How about removing the tank and fabricating a bottom to graft to the top of your existing tank that takes advantage of that space and increases your fuel capacity. The tops and bottoms of stock tanks are rather simply constructed and welded.

This would allow you to keep the top of the tank with fuel filler and gauge sender intact. The gauge would probably be inaccurate on the lower end, which would put you in the 90th percentile of buggy owners...

Of course you'd have to make good measurements and find a fabricator...neither are insurmountable tasks depending on your local resources.

Just a thought.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StevieC wrote:
Letterman7 wrote:

that sounds like the best plan, any idea what the dimensions would be?

Only you can answer that with the body lift. Pull the original tank and take some basic measurements. Hop on Summit Racing or Jegs and look at their stock fuel cells and go from there. A Pro-Street 12 gallon cell measures roughly 17" x 17" x 11" - plenty small enough to put under the hood.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a body lift it might be possible to make a frame to mount the tank to the bottom side of the body opening. It could be designed to mount the rear part of the tank lower than the front, bringing it back to about the level VW intended, the one that allows it to hold 10.5 gallons.
StevieC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I won't know until I pull the hood
I have an a-arm subframe that takes up most the room under the gas tank.
Is the gas tank symmetrical? So I can rotate it around with fuel filler to the to instead of the bottom?
And if you do that will the spout reach the hood like it does in the front?
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked on the Summit website and a 10 gallon, black plastic, Fuel cell, that is built for Street Rods. Is $169.97, that seems likes a great option. Once I have the fuel cell I under the hood. Then I will re-glass the area under the hood to work with the Fuel cell. Seems to me that is a like this is the option to go with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are hearing more than fuel slosh from the front tank, you need to investigate what it is and why. Is the tank loose? Is the front of the body not supported?

Second, you need to investigate why you are only getting 5 gallon use out of that 10 gallon tank. Is there a riser on the outlet raising it up and leaving a large portion of fuel in the tank unused.

The tank cannot be switched around 180*, it only fits one way.

Before I would change anything, I would see why it is doing what you describe. Post a photo of how the tank's bottom is in the body with the discharge point, post a photo of the front tank/body supports, post a photo of where the front filler is located on the tank.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
StevieC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
If you are hearing more than fuel slosh from the front tank, you need to investigate what it is and why. Is the tank loose? Is the front of the body not supported?

Second, you need to investigate why you are only getting 5 gallon use out of that 10 gallon tank. Is there a riser on the outlet raising it up and leaving a large portion of fuel in the tank unused.

The tank cannot be switched around 180*, it only fits one way.

Before I would change anything, I would see why it is doing what you describe. Post a photo of how the tank's bottom is in the body with the discharge point, post a photo of the front tank/body supports, post a photo of where the front filler is located on the tank.

The more I look at it I don't see any supports for the body past the passenger compartment
Maybe the whole front is just hanging there

Heres' the tank bottom

Here's another pic of the front side

Another pic

the front

motoRAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

look I've done to my tank, I was getting only 5 litre (1.5 g) capacity, and on right turns, fuel came out, so this is what I did, not tested yet but I'm confidente it will work Laughing

cut it

flip it

Twisted Evil
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My body just hangs out front as well. I think adding a support is not a bad idea. I kind of have that with a rubber bushing supporting the front of the stock tank, but something better will be done later. Its very possible that your body is flexing enough to allow the tank to bang into something. 10 gallons of fuel is a bit of weight to be hanging out there.

Anyway - I went through this last year on our buggy - had issues with the stock tank and was gonna be a real challenge removing hood, plus am planning a body off redo in the future. Did a 13 gal Jaz (I think) fuel cell in the rear seat area. Not super happy with it, but it works for now. Issue to consider. Tank angle greatly impacts your fuel sender reading. Mine sloped to the rear some and even if reading 1/8 tank, it only took 5 gal to fill it.

When I do the body off - will probably go back to a stock location tank.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: