Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Really? Lost most of my CVJ bolts
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Really? Lost most of my CVJ bolts Reply with quote

So, I was just under my van trying to track down a wee bit of a coolant leak when I notice that 4 of the 6 inner CVJ retaining bolts on the drivers side are missing and at least 1 of the bolts on the passenger side is backing out.

The CVJs were new when I bought the van 3 years ago and we do most of our camping way down bumpy dirt roads. So, I can see how they would back out if they weren't installed/torqued correctly.

When I get replacements, what is the torque spec and should some sort of loc-tite be used? Any special tricks of the trade to be aware of? It seems simple enough but I ask because obviously at some point a "pro" goofed it up.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You MUST clean the bolt threads of all oil with brake cleaner and then use it on a Q-tip or something to clean the female threads also.

You MUST use NEW, not old, Schnorr washers each time. I tested this on a Porsche once just to see if reuse was ok - it wasn't.

IF VW used moon plates, then use those.

Some use Loctite, I have never needed to because I follow the above.

Inspect the wrenching fixture and threads on the bolts (cap screws) carefully - use a magnifier if you want - and if ok, they can be reused. If replaced, be sure a fastener strength spc. is... ah.. respected.

Check the Bentley for the torque spec.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I would not say that they are essential, you could install these locking bolts from Aircooled.net and not have to worry about those bumpy roads.
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/CV-Joint-Bolt-LOCKING-Type-1-2-and-3-8320-p/8320.htm
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
While I would not say that they are essential, you could install these locking bolts from Aircooled.net and not have to worry about those bumpy roads.
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/CV-Joint-Bolt-LOCKING-Type-1-2-and-3-8320-p/8320.htm

If those work on Vanagons I'll be all over them.

As for checking the Bentley for torque specs - it sure seems like those SHOULD be on page 42.7 but they aren't.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on 42.2
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Look on 42.2

Usually when I can't find something it's my wife who says "did you really look for it?" Embarassed

Thanks!
boof1306
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, my wife says "did you have a man look". The really annoying thing is she is usually right.
Back to cvj's. They may have not been tensioned correctly but I think the big thing to learn here is not to leave cvj or bolts unchecked for three years. I check grease mine every 6 to 12 months depending on usage. Greg
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: locking bolts

The torque from the engine is transmitted via the faces of the two assemblies being in tight contact, NOT by the bolts. The tension in the bolts hold the faces tightly together.

If the locking bolts do not keep them tensioned then they will experience shear and will break. So be sure those locking bolts keep the bolts tight and not just act like safety wiring to keep the bolts from backing out all the way.
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jegs locking CV bolt kit is bomber.
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense, you obviously did not know any better but you really should check your cv joint bolts more often than every 3 years. I do a quick check every oil change because I am paranoid. Every 10,000 miles would probably suffice.

I do not do any of the things people have said you have to do…no q tips, no special locks, no loctite, nothing.

I just tighten the crap out of each one and count as I go so I do not miss one.

I jack the van up so I can wedge a 2 by 4 in between the tire and the ground and move the wheel for each bolt so i can get perfect alignment and maximum leverage. If you have a helper you can probably do the same thing using the brakes instead.

In all the time I have had my van one bolt became slightly loose and I may have forgotten to tighten it, who knows?.

I suspect the shop did not tighten them enough.

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the ones that remain, check for bent bolts; also try to ensure none of the holes got ovaled... I had to replace a stub axle once for this.

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Nord Lock washers. And yes, I've had cv joints professionally replaced, by the best shop in the SF Bay area and had the bolts come loose. Seems like rechecking is best option.

I purchased the Nord Lock washers for the next time the bolts need to come out...

Here is a good video showing he Nord Lock

Link
[/url]
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
boof1306
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great sounding product but aren't they saying that you can't use them with anything stronger than grade 8 bolts. Cv bolts are all above 10.9. Any mechanical engineers out there to confirm this.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boof1306 wrote:
Great sounding product but aren't they saying that you can't use them with anything stronger than grade 8 bolts. Cv bolts are all above 10.9. Any mechanical engineers out there to confirm this.

Grade 8 is the term for inch size bolts. It is the same as Property Class 10.9 for metric bolts.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
cvbill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John W always told me to make sure the mating surfaces of the CV and the axle flanges are grease free. Hard to do as they are full of grease and you try to maneuver them in place. If not, you may be torqueing down on a layer of grease, which will continue to ooze after you're done with the bolts. He said retorque after a couple hundred miles.
To me, cv trouble comes with off-roading
Let's go break something at SyncroFest!!
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand the NordLock correctly, they recommend lubruication on the bolt, like has been said, its a greasy situation working with repacked CVs.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

furrylittleotter wrote:
I do a quick check every oil change because I am paranoid. Every 10,000 miles would probably suffice.

Well then, that's every 4 or 5 years for me. Laughing

Oh, the joys of of living within a few hundred miles of TONS of great camping and in a place where it's winter for 6 months a year (I don't drive the van in the winter).

Point taken though. It's amazing to me how every other vehicle that's been in my household has been a "just drive it" type of thing while the Westy really is more like a cranky, attention mongering, child.

Last edited by SCM on Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always torqued my CV bolts to 36 ft lbs, using the original arc shaped plate under each set of bolts. I don't bother with the bolts or holes being totally degreased, no loctite. I check the torque after 100 miles and then am good to go until the next time I need to change a boot (or a transmission... Wink ). YMMV, others have different methods that work equally well... Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
I have always torqued my CV bolts to 36 ft lbs, using the original arc shaped plate under each set of bolts. ... (or a transmission... Wink ).

Thanks for all the input guys! Now that I've been thinking and researching about it I suspect what happened was that the bolts weren't torqued properly when my (previous) mechanic dropped the trans to replace a bad rear main seal. I'm also missing the arc shaped plates so they either forgot that or they were missing prior to me owning the van.

Thanks for the invite to SyncroFest. I'm honored to know my 2wd is having problems that typically plaque it's 4wd brethren. You should see the 'wheelin and other abuse that the Jetta was subjected to when it was our main camping vehicle. I should probably check some bolts on that...
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cvbill wrote:
He said retorque after a couple hundred miles.

So now your avatar makes more sense, you just roll your van up on its side to check your CV's. Laughing See you at Syncrofest, and keep at least 3 wheels on the ground at all times. Cool

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: