Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Line Fire Sleeves
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Fuel Line Fire Sleeves Reply with quote

I am planning to put fire sleeves on my fuel lines. I have purchased DEI (Design Engineering Inc.) fire sleeves but haven't installed them yet. I saw Insyncro uses Aeroquip Fire Sleeves which are top of the line and made to aircraft specs. I considered these but appear to require metal straps on each end and a special tool to put the straps on. It makes them rather costly and I was concerned they were very thick. The DEI sleeve kit comes with silicone tape to wrap the ends.

Does anyone have any comments, suggestions regarding fire sleeves. Brands, experience using them, etc? Will they help prevent an engine fire?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fire sleeves are kind of like closing the barn door after the horse got out.

I think the most likely fire source is a leaky fuel system, once the fuel system is punctured, and fire has started, what's the point of protecting the now un-pressurized fuel hoses now that the fire is already going?

Now of course if the fire started from other source than a fuel leak, then the sleeves would be useful. I would guess that a huge percentage of engine fires are fuel leak caused.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another item worth your vanagon!
http://jogrusa.com/collections/classic-vw-accessories/products/blazecut-fire-suppression-system

Regarding the safety wire, you can do it by hand or you can do it a bit easier with these.
http://www.harborfreight.com/9-inch-safety-wire-twisting-pliers-45341.html

Regarding the Fire Sleeves, a good idea I think as an electrical fire is a possibility with old wiring.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the worry of electrical fire.
I'd recommend every 83.5-85 van upgrade the ALT wire harness.
nearly every one I've inspected, I've removed because of electrical heat related fatigue to the wires.
these wires cross unfused over both supply & return fuel lines on the backside of the firewall.

I'd say you can easily DIY this harness upgrade, but vancafe has a easy replacement one available.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
on the worry of electrical fire.
I'd recommend every 83.5-85 van upgrade the ALT wire harness.
nearly every one I've inspected, I've removed because of electrical heat related fatigue to the wires.
these wires cross unfused over both supply & return fuel lines on the backside of the firewall.

I'd say you can easily DIY this harness upgrade, but vancafe has a easy replacement one available.

I've Got it in my pile of yet to be installed parts!
My wire is severely decayed.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The link..........
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_780_913/alternator-cable-upgrade.html

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Good point Bluebus86 maybe the fire sleeves are a placebo effect for me. I was hoping it would reduce heat and aging on the fuel lines and maybe contain a small leak. I have also been looking at automatic fire extinguisher systems. I have replaced my fuel lines and firewall fitting. I am planning to also replace the fuel rails and fuel pressure regulator. I carry 4 fire extinguishers.

DJKEEV now you have given me another project. Thanks, it sounds like a good idea. Don't need an electrical fire.

Here is a photo of the fire sleeves I purchased from Speedway Motors on sale.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Westified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I should give credit to Danfromsyr for mentioning the Alt wiring Harness and Djkeev for posting a picture. thank you. I am going to inspect mine.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of the major contributing factors to the severity of Vanagon fires is the fuel return. Once the fire starts and burns through a line the fuel can flow backwards through the return feeding the fire. A spring loaded check valve in the return near the tank was my solution.

I think the sleeves are a good idea as well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: