Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What part is this? 1963 Rear Axle
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
garagebandking41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: What part is this? 1963 Rear Axle Reply with quote

Have a leaky rear axle seal and started to take her apart only to find parts arent the way they are listed in any catalogue I can find. I need help pointing me in the right direction.

Here's what my axel looks like:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cant seem to find what this part is called, or see it in the diagrams.

What do I need to seal this baby up correctly?
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a spacer. It is not included in the seal kit. A seal kit for any swing axle VW will work. Looks like you are missing the flat washer (oil deflector) which is the last component in the system. It is sandwiched between the brake drum and the spacer. If you have a Bentley manual there is a diagram on H-4/1. That deflector helps to "fling" off oil that leaks past all the other pieces. If you use good seal kits and install (AND torque) everything per the manual and all your parts look good, you shouldn't have any problems.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An axle seal kit is what you need. That piece is an axle spacer. Oil it on the outside and on the bottom where the oring is. Oil the seal and push it in the seal. Mine have always been square though. Looks almost like a bearing race for the front. What does the other side look like?
garagebandking41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im going off this image:

I do have some WW axel seal kits im using.

That spacer is listed as number 8, but mine has a lip on it and just slides in and mates with the o-ring, #7. It is not just a ring as is in the diagram. I do not have that oil slinger, maybe the local Ace Hardware has something i can work with...

Also number 6 is a washer that goes over the bearing, but says 1200cc only. So I assume the small o-ring just sits next to the bearing, no washer.

There is also a larger O-ring that looks like it goes over the ball bearing case and mates with the bearing cover, but it is also not shown in the diagram. Do busses use it?

Looks like im using this part, its not a 63 part.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211501303[/url]
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garagebandking41 wrote:
Im going off this image:

That image is for "small nut". You have a "big nut".

garagebandking41 wrote:
mine has a lip on it and just slides in and mates with the o-ring, #7. It is not just a ring as is in the diagram.

Correct for your big nut.

garagebandking41 wrote:
I do not have that oil slinger, maybe the local Ace Hardware has something i can work with...

You don't use that with your spacer.

garagebandking41 wrote:
There is also a larger O-ring that looks like it goes over the ball bearing case and mates with the bearing cover, but it is also not shown in the diagram. Do busses use it?

Busses don't use it.

Paper gasket on each side of brake backing plate, seal pressed into square thingy with rubber facing out, little o-ring over axle against bearing but be careful sliding it on, spacer against o-ring, drum on, big nut on, cotter pin on.
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL told it like it is. Big stub axles don't have that thin washer inside the bearing cover. The lip on your spacer slings the oil back. The only O-ring that you will use is a small one that you oil and slide over the stub axle against the bearing. The inner side of the spacer slants inward, which fits over and against the O-ring to keep oil from gravitating up the stub axle.
garagebandking41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, thanks for nailing all my concerns. I'm new to busses and the whole 1963 being a unique transition, plus the two ton option thing has me confused all the time. Helped me out a bunch and very informative. I owe ya one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: