Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

FRONT drums, Chevy pattern??
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetskibob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: FRONT drums, Chevy pattern?? Reply with quote

I've done the search, I know the topic has been discussed. However, I have not seen a definitive answer.

Is there a source for front drums(link pin) with a Chevy pattern?

If not, are blanks available?

Thanks
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problems for the front...
You cant drill the wide 5 front drum to use a smaller pattern.
4 lug style front drums wont fit a Link Pin Spindle
No conversion front drum available.

2 options.. to use Chevy pattern wheels on a Link Spindle front...
Switch to disc brakes
Use adapters.
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jetskibob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. That's what I thought. It's been years since I've looked back into this, I thought maybe someone came up with a different option.

Thanks.
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been doing a similar search, and found a European distributor that carries blanks, and they advised me to contact one of their US sales outlets. I haven't done it yet, but here is the thread with the details. Perhaps if there was enough demand, they'd stock them, or be willing to special order a few sets. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...p;start=20

I'm running adapters for now, but don't love them. I recently bought a new set of rear drums with Chevy pattern and studs from So Cal Imports. I hope to get them installed in the next week or so.
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andygere wrote:
I have been doing a similar search, and found a European distributor that carries blanks, and they advised me to contact one of their US sales outlets. I haven't done it yet, but here is the thread with the details. Perhaps if there was enough demand, they'd stock them, or be willing to special order a few sets. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...p;start=20

I'm running adapters for now, but don't love them. I recently bought a new set of rear drums with Chevy pattern and studs from So Cal Imports. I hope to get them installed in the next week or so.

Even those blank drums won't do as they're for ball joint front ends.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jetskibob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manxdavid wrote:
andygere wrote:

Even those blank drums won't do as they're for ball joint front ends.

Yea, I saw that. And even if they worked, it would end up costing me more than disc brakes. I just want to get rid of the adapters so the tires move in 1". PLUS... since disc brakes are a bit overkill on a buggy, the 5 min drum installation was the most appealing aspect.
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetski,
I agree, slipping a set of drums on my freshly rebuilt front brake system has a lot of appeal as well. The rear drums I bought from SoCal Imports with the Chevy pattern were $72 each, and their blank rears are $47 each. If I could get the front drums drilled 5 x4.75 for $72 each I'd buy them. It would be a great deal less expensive than converting to discs, to say nothing of the extra labor.
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread got me off the dime and I called CIP1 today. They are going to try to source front ball joint drums in blank or Chevy pattern. I'll post back here and on the other thread if they are able to get them.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic was started about LINK PIN drums and spindles..
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why doesn't someone make K&L drums with a traditional center raised hub, instead of the big radiused hub? The hub would be a bit large because of the larger bearings, but plenty of USA RWD cars had large center hole diameters.

I like the radiused drums (front and rear) because I'm leaving them exposed on my mini-t for a bit of a late '30's Ford hot rod brakes look. Still if i want different wheels going forward it would be nice to have drillable front drums available.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
Why doesn't someone make K&L drums with a traditional center raised hub, instead of the big radiused hub? .

Not enough demand = no product produced...

Usually and often edited
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
EVfun wrote:
Why doesn't someone make K&L drums with a traditional center raised hub, instead of the big radiused hub? .

Not enough demand = no product produced...

I suppose, but the width of the front brakes is the same as the ball joint cars. It would seem that they could just slightly thicken up the hub section of the ball joint casting and have a single casting that could be K&L or ball joint depending on the finish machining. They could turn down the outer center when needed (ball joint only.) It could be one casting fits all (1958-1977 USA.)
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

I believe the European source for blank front drums has both ball joint and link pin styles.
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andygere wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

I believe the European source for blank front drums has both ball joint and link pin styles.

They only list ball joint ones on their website and in their catalogue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing this back up....

Some research.. there may actually be a conversion bearing that.. could possibly work..

[email protected] wrote:
jsturtlebuggy wrote:
Looking in the 2011 Empi catalog on pg 303 they are showing conversion bearings for installing a ball joint brake rotor on a king pin spindle.
#17-2795 inner
#17-2796 outer

I heard of it being done before, but had never seen a reference to what bearing were used.

Those bearings are made to install a 4 bolt rotor onto a King Pin Spindle, for the inexpensive disc brake kits for buggies, that don't necessarily want to keep the 5x205 bolt pattern. The bearings aren't anything that is a "stock" size. The inner race will fit the KP Spindle, but the outer race is custom ground to fit the BJ Rotor. With those bearings it will be physically possibe to install a 4 bolt BJ Drum onto a KP Spindle, but if you're wanting to use a KP Backing Plate with the brakes, I'm not sure how the shoes will line up.

Hmmmmm... interesting..
I know it claims rotors... but aren't the later ball joint drum and disc bearings the same size (OD) ???
May have to modify a brake backing plate to work.. but I really dont think so..

Somebody needs to try it.. as it may solve a shit load of wheel issues..
I see many suppliers offer these..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/quote]
Usually and often edited
nbbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 57 pan has Chevy pattern wheel adapters on the wide 5 drums.

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Bringing this back up....

Some research.. there may actually be a conversion bearing that.. could possibly work..

I see nobody touched this so I thought I would at least share some of my observations.

It is often reported that the conversion bearing route to K&L disc brakes moves the tires out quite a bit. The bracket that mounts the calipers is pretty beefy looking and flat, also suggesting a wider stance. It is possible the drum would mount farther out than stock. But if that is the case it should be possible to move the backing plate out with a suitable adapter.

Are the link pin spindles longer than ball joint spindles? Is there a longer seal race or spacer used with the conversion bearing for the front disc using the stock rotor? If the conversion bearings (and related parts from the kit) are used there is no reason the ball joint drum shouldn't go on like a rotor, but it may be in the wrong place.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:

I see nobody touched this so I thought I would at least share some of my observations.

It is often reported that the conversion bearing route to K&L disc brakes moves the tires out quite a bit. The bracket that mounts the calipers is pretty beefy looking and flat, also suggesting a wider stance. It is possible the drum would mount farther out than stock. But if that is the case it should be possible to move the backing plate out with a suitable adapter.

Are the link pin spindles longer than ball joint spindles? Is there a longer seal race or spacer used with the conversion bearing for the front disc using the stock rotor? If the conversion bearings (and related parts from the kit) are used there is no reason the ball joint drum shouldn't go on like a rotor, but it may be in the wrong place.

My thoughts exactly.
All it takes is someone wanting to try it..

Maybe in time.. If nobody tries it, Ill pick up a set of conversion bearings and see how they work out. I have no desire for this conversion, but I am quite curious.

Usually and often edited
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several years ago I bought a set of LP spindles that had been converted to disc brakes with all new parts and set up for 4 lug wheels. When wvbowtieman was building his Lithia, I measured them and came up with either 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" wider wheel track over a stock LP drum, per side.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
Kevinwterry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: FRONT drums, Chevy pattern?? Reply with quote

I'm sure it's been posted before but I can't find an answer. WHY can't wide five link pin front drums be re drilled to a chevy 5 lug? Sorry it's an old post, but it had a relevant topic and I know how much Everett loves new topics created...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: