Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

FRONT drums, Chevy pattern??
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: FRONT drums, Chevy pattern?? Reply with quote

Kevinwterry wrote:
I'm sure it's been posted before but I can't find an answer. WHY can't wide five link pin front drums be re drilled to a chevy 5 lug? Sorry it's an old post, but it had a relevant topic and I know how much Everett loves new topics created...

Because of the center radius towards the snout..
The wheel center bottoms out on the curve of the radius before reaching the flat wheel mating of the drum surface..
Same problem for front and rear drums..original or aftermarket..

and.. was sort of answered a few posts up..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Several years ago I bought a set of LP spindles that had been converted to disc brakes with all new parts and set up for 4 lug wheels. When wvbowtieman was building his Lithia, I measured them and came up with either 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" wider wheel track over a stock LP drum, per side.

I think this is the design of the disc rotor/hub as compared to a drum. On a stock VW disc rotor/hub the mounting flange for the wheel is approximately 1/2" or so further outboard with relation to the bearings, when compared to the design of the drums.

An example is the front track width of a ball joint Ghia (factory disc brakes) compared to the front track width of a ball joint bug. The Ghia was something like 1" wider and the only difference is rotors vs drums.

The disc brake spindles might be slightly different (thicker) but I'm not certain. I've got stock disc and drum spindles out in the shop I could measure when I get the time.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: FRONT drums, Chevy pattern?? Reply with quote

It's mpst likely due to the webbing on the back side of the drum.

Looking at my disc brake rotors and the webbing they have I can see why.

This pic might help explain.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lo Cash John wrote:
I think this is the design of the disc rotor/hub as compared to a drum. On a stock VW disc rotor/hub the mounting flange for the wheel is approximately 1/2" or so further outboard with relation to the bearings, when compared to the design of the drums.

An example is the front track width of a ball joint Ghia (factory disc brakes) compared to the front track width of a ball joint bug. The Ghia was something like 1" wider and the only difference is rotors vs drums.

The disc brake spindles might be slightly different (thicker) but I'm not certain. I've got stock disc and drum spindles out in the shop I could measure when I get the time.

That sounded like a good way to nail down the actual difference, but it didn't work. Using the 1970 owners manuals here on the Samba both the 1970 US Beetle and 1970 US Karmann Ghia I found they both have a 51.6 inch front track width, but different wheels (the Bug has 4 inch wheels, the Ghia 4-1/2 inch wheels.)

I decided to compare the US Beetle manual to the German Beetle manual because I'm pretty sure the Bugs in Germany where getting front disc brakes. I hit success with that as apparently both front disc (scheibenbremse) and front drum (trommelbremse) brakes where available in 1970. It appears that stock front disc brakes increase the track with 6mm over stock drum brakes (about 1/8 inch per side.)

Putting stock late disc brakes on king and link pin spindles (using the adapter wheel bearings and associated hardware) is a different animal. I know it increases track width quite a bit, but I don't know how much.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: FRONT drums, Chevy pattern?? Reply with quote

Kevinwterry wrote:
I'm sure it's been posted before but I can't find an answer. WHY can't wide five link pin front drums be re drilled to a chevy 5 lug? Sorry it's an old post, but it had a relevant topic and I know how much Everett loves new topics created...

Lay a Chevy 5-lug rim on a wide-5 drum - the answer will be apparent.

bnc
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: FRONT drums, Chevy pattern?? Reply with quote

While I would love to see someone do this with late model drums on LP spindles, the reality is it's not a cost effective way to get a Chevy, Ford or Porsche bolt pattern on the front of a buggy.

By the time you drop $140-$160 for the drums (in Chevy, Porsche or whatever pattern), another $50+ on conversion bearings and work out the backing plate issues (if any), you could buy a front disc kit for not much more money. Yes I know front discs are overkill on a buggy but if you're trying to avoid adapters at all costs, you can also throw discs on the back and add a proportioning valve as needed. Now you have low maintenance brakes and the bias can be tailored to your exact needs.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: FRONT drums, Chevy pattern?? Reply with quote

so from what i am seeing here in this thread. you cant drill and install studs in the 64 style brake drums because if the radius on the outside of the drum.
so why could a guy not get that material removed, granted the inside will play the biggest roll in this.
but if there was enough material there to make it flat and hit the webbing on the inside would this not work?
all i want is the fronts under my fenders of my buggy, if i could find reasonably priced wide wide 5s i would just stay with the original wheels
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: FRONT drums, Chevy pattern?? Reply with quote

Two things to look at closely on the early drums.

First, the outside snout. It is made that way to give strength to the bearing position with relation the the braking drum surface. If turned down to fit a Chevy/Ford pattern, a significant amount of metal and strength have been compromised.

Second, the area that the chevy/ford lug holes would locate on the drum face are very thin and do not have a lot of twisting strength to hold a lug nut square and could rip out.

Final comment, the brakes are the most important safety device on any moving vehicle. My suggestion is to never compromise when working on them or altering them. Not only the drivers life, but other bystander's lives may depend on it.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: FRONT drums, Chevy pattern?? Reply with quote

so for shits and giggles i took an extra front drum i had laying around and tried to turn down the face to accept the chevy bolt pattern.
here is the result

my thoughts on how to do the chevy bolt pattern can not be done
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: FRONT drums, Chevy pattern?? Reply with quote

This question gets asked every couple years. Thanks for the photo explanation for future reference.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: