Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'71 Squareback - My New Project
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
smendoza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject: '71 Squareback - My New Project Reply with quote

Figured I would post about my project since I've spent a few weeks lurking and learning. Picked up a '71 Squareback at the end of March; it was a non-runner when I bought it and hadn't been run in at least 6 years, maybe longer. Overall, the body is in decent shape, the pans are solid except for a 2" hole beneath the battery and it was fairly unmolested. The PO sounded confident it wouldn't take much to get it running, so I took a shot on it. Here she is loaded up for the drive back to New Orleans:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Started out with some basic tune-up and maintenance items to see if it would run: drained all the fluids, replaced spark plugs, replaced all fuel lines and vacuum lines, put in a new battery, cleaned all the grounds I could find. Fuel pump was varnished throughout and no amount of soaking in diesel would get it freed up, so ended up putting in an Airtex E2000 pump. It's now running (fairly well) but needs some fine tuning. With that addressed, I turned to cleaning up the original paint. The passenger side is looking pretty good after some buffing and polishing:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Work is slow on it at the moment, as my only free time is about a day each weekend. But I'll eventually get it road-worthy in the coming month.
Kick Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Love how it's looking cleaned up.
Any more pics say of the interior and engine?
Looking forward to updates.
Best of luck with it.
My 72 Kombi: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7922816#7922816
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebullseye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it!

What products are you using for your buffing and polishing? I have a '72 Square in Kassan Red. I tried an electronic buffer, don't remember what products I used with it, but it didn't make a huge difference. I think I can get a little more out of the paint to make due until a full body resto.

Thanks

Writer and Independent Publishing Consultant in the DC suburbs: www.johnhmatthews.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Post more pics when you can.
smendoza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kick Kombi wrote:
Cool. Love how it's looking cleaned up.
Any more pics say of the interior and engine?
Looking forward to updates.
Best of luck with it.

Thanks, I'll get some pictures of the engine and interior this weekend. It's not in terrible shape interior-wise but could definitely use some work.
smendoza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluebullseye wrote:
Love it!

What products are you using for your buffing and polishing? I have a '72 Square in Kassan Red. I tried an electronic buffer, don't remember what products I used with it, but it didn't make a huge difference. I think I can get a little more out of the paint to make due until a full body resto.

Thanks

Started with a thorough washing - that was needed badly. For restoring the paint, I used Meguiar's Ultimate Compound with a Lake County orange buffing pad; speed 5 on a Porter Cable 7424 DA sander/buffer. Just worked it small sections at a time, usually 5 passes or so with moderate pressure on a 2' x 2' section. Topped it with Zymol wax for protection; I'll give the entire car a good waxing once all the paint is cleaned.

The louvers on the rear quarter panel will tear up a foam pad if you're not careful.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: