Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Fun Challenge
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 222, 223, 224  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

HippyTom wrote:
Only problem is near the gulf here that involves deep sand...might not make it out. Shocked My 4x4 truck makes it but it's not easy sometimes even for it.

A little wider tires & drop the air pressure to around 6 PSI & she'll float over most of it, maybe even better than your truck.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
HippyTom wrote:
Why wouldn't that count? Is there a rule that the pic has to be taken AFTER the challenge is posted?

vwwestyman wrote:
Well my impression is the intention of the challenge is to get people to get out in their VWs driving around. And it was at least kind of a soft rule that pre-existing pics don't count!

Yes, it's supposed to be a NEW photo.

A few times I didn't post an older photo that worked because it was... Old.

Posting an old photo for entertainment, not as an actual entry, is okay isn't it? Especially if it's a really cool photo. But the challenge remains active.
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
HippyTom wrote:
Only problem is near the gulf here that involves deep sand...might not make it out. Shocked My 4x4 truck makes it but it's not easy sometimes even for it.

A little wider tires & drop the air pressure to around 6 PSI & she'll float over most of it, maybe even better than your truck.

My 63 is rolling 215/60r15s all the way around.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

HippyTom wrote:

Perfect, just remember not to stop in the soft stuff.

CURRENT CHALLENGE: Let's see some gnarly offroad pics.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
HippyTom wrote:

Perfect, just remember not to stop in the soft stuff.

CURRENT CHALLENGE: Let's see some gnarly offroad pics.

This part of Florida, it's all soft stuff. I've seen people pull off the side of the road and get marred up in the sand.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
EverettB wrote:
HippyTom wrote:
Why wouldn't that count? Is there a rule that the pic has to be taken AFTER the challenge is posted?

vwwestyman wrote:
Well my impression is the intention of the challenge is to get people to get out in their VWs driving around. And it was at least kind of a soft rule that pre-existing pics don't count!

Yes, it's supposed to be a NEW photo.

A few times I didn't post an older photo that worked because it was... Old.

Posting an old photo for entertainment, not as an actual entry, is okay isn't it? Especially if it's a really cool photo. But the challenge remains active.

Yes, I think people have done that in the past.
I think I did that once too.

"This is an old pic that fits the challenge so it's still going but..."
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

I'm going to try real hard to get the current off-road (or, at least it'll be a pretty gnarly old road) challenge done this weekend. With current pics!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

This afternoon I got the blown turbo replaced, so it was in the '78 TDI that I completed this challenge, on a test drive! (At least, I hope this counts!)

I love exploring old dirt roads. "Minimum Maintenance" signs always intrigue me.

So I took a drive to the back side of a cove at our nearby lake.

This road is only used by ranchers to access their ground, and explorers like me.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This guy was checking out the Bus!

And the lake in the background.

So here's my challenge. Since the point of this whole thing is to get you out and driving in your VW:

Drive to a small town at least 45 minutes away, and take a pic with something they find interesting/brag about.

Example of what I'm thinking of:
About 45 minutes from me is Blue Rapids, KS. Population 971. They have a baseball field where the Chicago White Sox and New York Giants played a game in 1913. (The teams did traveling exhibition style games back then.) Blue Rapids is also home to the oldest roundabout in Kansas.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

I am surprised no daily drivers have taken this one on.

That said, it’s been almost two weeks. Can we throw this (good, by the way) challenge on the back burner and get a new challenge going?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

NO, we still need to finish each challenge in order! I was thinking of driving 60 miles to Cape Foulweather because the name always gets me! Shocked Don't wait on me though. Wink
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/cape-foulweather
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

I keep trying to figure out something any towns around here are proud of. I have an idea if I can get out tomorrow.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

I just ran across this thread.
I’m in the process of refreshing my Ghia which has been sitting for 10 years under cover. I hope this stays alive until I can drive it.
Aircooled.net needs to hurry up and fill my order.
SeamusBlack32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

I think I can do this challenge on Wednesday. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

Let’s see if this counts. This is about 40 minutes from my home. It’s Fort Christmas named as such because it was established on Dec 25th. The “town” is named for it and people come from miles around during the Holiday season to mail their letters so that they are post marked “Christmas Florida”.

If so, LMK and I’ll post up the next challenge.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

Near me there are no small towns and nothing interesting.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

Perfect, New challenge?

Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

New Challenge....

A picture of your VW in front of a road sign that has significance to you or your name. I.E. Your name is James William Baker and you're a dentist you could take a picture of your car in front of a "Billy Blvd", or "Baker Street" or "Longtooth Road". You must be able to explain the relevance.

If its too hard to narrow it down to a street sign, perhaps we can open it up to a sign in general? Only caveat is you can't walk out and take a picture of the front of your shop, home or business etc.
skapunkfoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

My vw at Rodriguez Lane, which is my last name. There's also a Joshua street, my first name, that I'm gonna go to later and edit this post to have both. Haven't been on in a while. Moved from Texas to Tennessee/Kentucky border.

Next: YVWNT at a dog park. (Pretty sure that hasn't been done)

Last edited by skapunkfoo on Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

Well dammit! I was driving past a dog park in my '78 moments after you posted that. I guess I should have checked the email notification before leaving!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

Game on! I have a dog park a couple of miles from me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 222, 223, 224  Next
Jump to:
Page 49 of 224

Jump to: