Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Fun Challenge
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78 ... 222, 223, 224  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:

NEXT UP: Your VW at a recent riot/“protest” site.

Ain’t no way in hell I’ll drive my Ghia into that pit. Even on a calm day. I’m white!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:

Ain’t no way in hell I’ll drive my Ghia into that pit. Even on a calm day. I’m white!

I’m white. No way in hell I’ll drive my VWs into this pit either Wink

Some people happy to get a wrist band and pay for abuse Shocked
Not being political. Just ironical. Golden rule y’all

NEXT UP: Your VW at a recent riot/“protest” site.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

I got absolutely no idea who that tattooed guy was.

But I think that challenge should state that this should be a recent protest site because every courthouse in the nation has been the site of protest.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

Ulu wrote:

But I think that challenge should state that this should be a recent protest site because every courthouse in the nation has been the site of protest.

Uh... isn’t that EXACTLY what I stated in the challenge?

Xevin wrote:
jeffrey8164 wrote:

I’m white. No way in hell I’ll drive my VWs into this pit either Wink

Wait, y'all aren't suggesting that they would actually single you out because of the color of your skin are you? Rolling Eyes Laughing

NEXT UP: Your VW at a recent riot/“protest” site. (Graffiti, boarded up windows/businesses, burned out shells of buildings or cars.)

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

NEXT UP: Your VW at a recent riot/“protest” site. (Graffiti, boarded up windows/businesses, burned out shells of buildings or cars.)

Was hoping someone else would nail this challenge instead of Xaties silly 74 Franken bug. Took a little drive around the neighborhood today just for this challenge. Sadly I’m reminded of the folks that can’t comprehend the “Golden Rule”

My block

And around the city.

Next challenge: Your VW helping someone out. Anyone.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

old pic

A year ago, my wife's friend suddenly became a widow when her husband died in a helicopter crash. (He was a medevac pilot.) They live in Wisconsin, and have 4 kids.

So in September, we drove up to spend a few days with them. I did a lot of chores around the house that had been put off, helped calm the struggling kids, and things like that.

The pic is our Bus parked in their yard. The oldest three kids begged to sleep in there, so they each got a night in the top bunk.

Actually, the anniversary is coming up in a little over a week. I've got three weeks until I start my new job, so I'm considering going up for a few days next week to help do some more chores and a possible project. It'll be the anniversary of Tim's death. So, if nobody else fulfills before then, I might be able to get a recent pic. Likely it'll be with the Eurovan though-front beam on that Bus is in no shape to make the trip right now.

Current challenge: Next challenge: Your VW helping someone out. Anyone.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

Dave, you are a cut above! You could just take pictures in your driveway that would count in this challenge. Oh, and Happy Anniversary.

Quote:
Current challenge: Your VW helping someone out. Anyone.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
NEXT UP: Your VW at a recent riot/“protest” site.!

I might have something to show you later. Tomorrow the POTUS arrives here to address his followers. Did a little drive by this morning, looks like a carnival as many have been camped out for days selling all types of swag. It could turn ugly as the Juneteenth celebration is just about 2 blocks away where the riot and massacre happened in 1921. There may be four Or more distinct groups operating. Black lives matter, trump supporters, trump protesters and outside agitators and boogaloo types.

Many businesses have already boarded up in anticipation of looting. Instead of having it inside a closed space with a capacity of 19k, that’s the BOK center. They could have used TU football stadium with 30k seats, it’s close by but that makes too much sense. I really hope it all stays cool here. On second thought I’m about 20 miles away and that’s where I’m staying I want no part of the shit that could go down.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

Sounds like there will be some Oklahoma Covid stew... Confused

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Dave, you are a cut above! You could just take pictures in your driveway that would count in this challenge. Oh, and Happy Anniversary.

Quote:

I'm hoping you misunderstood me... I was referring to the anniversary of the helicopter crash coming up in a little over a week...

The widow and her kids went on a big road trip last fall and visited us in Kansas. I think they just needed to get away from everything for a little while. Anyway, our house is kind of small, so I pulled the Bus to the back yard and set it up so a couple of the kids could stay out there. They thought it was pretty great!

I told the wife this evening that I'm considering the drive up to Wisconsin to help them out some, at least in part because I feel that I am in a somewhat unique position by having a preplanned break in between jobs that coincides with the timing.

Apparently, she was going to have another friend couple and their kids come and stay with them so they didn't have to be alone over the anniversary of the death. But the guy is in the Army, and Army says they can't travel. So he now can't go and do these projects. At this point, the friend and kids are still coming, so I could do some of the work without having to wrangle them quite as much.

If something happens and the friend can't come, then my wife may go up instead and I'd stay here with our foster daughter. I guess we'll see what happens!

Anyway, here's a pic of my Bus in my backyard, along with a pic of one of the boys sleeping in the child's cot.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

Dave, I did misunderstand your post. You are one kind dude with a big heart. I apologize for my ignorance on the helicopter crash. Would be nice if you can be there, to support the family. PM me if I can help out. F-It, send me PayPal info. I’m down for the cause. Seriously.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

We didn't have any rioting here, but during a rumored protest/riot 20 miles across the county, (that didn't really happen) Some gangsters looted our local big-box store at night. I didn't see any graffiti. It was a dash & grab mob.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

Ulu wrote:
We didn't have any rioting here, but during a rumored protest/riot 20 miles across the county, (that didn't really happen) Some gangsters looted our local big-box store at night. I didn't see any graffiti. It was a dash & grab mob.

Sounds like Stockton, CA Wink

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

Well shit! I coulda won this last week.
I stopped along Rose valley Rd to check on a homeless guy in a Bay Window that was waiting on the sunset.
His trans was giving him issues. He was ok. Just a nice friendly guy.

I should have taken a pic when my beetle was parked behind the Bay on the side of the road.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
... isn’t that EXACTLY what I stated in the challenge?

Yes it was. I must’ve been distracted by the tattoos.

Who TF was that guy?
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

Ulu wrote:
Yes it was. I must’ve been distracted by the tattoos.

Who TF was that guy?

My gif may not have worked across all platforms. The “Pit” was what I was referring to.

Rated “R” for adults

Link

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

I’m submitting this “Win” for vwwestyman as you can see he is a bit busy. This list is twice as long as it appears in photo. Awesome job Dave. Good on you 67rustavenger helping stranded dude and wcfvw69 for helping out local food banks. A lot of folks here helping out. Awesome. We will have to wait for Dave’s challenge

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

My gif may not have worked across all platforms. . . .

Oooooofff! I only made it thru the first 30 seconds.

(Did people actually pay to see that stuff?)

Before I was of age, the joke was an old lady at the school prom, with a little ruler, to make sure the dancers were 6" apart.

Now all kids will have to dance 6 feet apart. (2 metres in Canada.)

BTW I went to Alice Cooper at the Bonneville Raceway Park, and it was so loud, Utah outlawed outdoor rock concerts in 1974. But it was rather more . . . ummmm . . . . musical. Less of a drunken gang riot. Wink
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Fun Challenge Reply with quote

Though I don't much like the idea of "tooting your own horn" too much, I do like the idea of inspiration to continue to do good. Because of that and because I would have been here anyway, I think I want to either keep the challenge going, and/or reissue it. It also could be that my brain is simply too tired to think of one. I did consider the idea of a spin off thread titled something like, "your VW helping others."

As you could see from Xevin's post, I did end up coming up to Wisconsin to help out. It's very late, but I think I may use this reply and subsequent replies as a bit of processing for myself. I hope you'll indulge.

Today's main task was to do my best to assess what was needed to complete the chores the friend mentioned, as well as wander around the house looking for other things that need done. My to-do list grew quite a bit since I sent that pic to Xevin-I was writing things in between the lines I had already written.

Some of the things under that include a small patch and nail repair on the roof so it doesn't become a problem later, taking care of a patch of stinging nettles that have grown in a weird spot near the patio, fixing a clothes line, fixing a broken cabinet door, replacing a bathroom door that was damaged and many other little things.

We also determined that a trailer would be a good investment. It'll help them do things like haul a bunch of kayaks to the lake as well as complete lots of other chores. So I took one of the kids to pick up the trailer, and get ice cream after. Later, I spent some time playing therapist to the friend, and also teaching the daughter some skills she could use to help relax enough to go to sleep, and to help when she wakes up with nightmares about the crash.

One thing I have learned is this: If you happen to know a widow/er with young kids (or just a single parent, or someone else who may be struggling) it is a nice sentiment to say, "let me know if you need anything" assuming you really mean it.

But here's the deal that I don't think most understand-the odds are high that the person simply is NOT even capable of telling you everything they need. They are either grieving too much to even know what needs done, or if there are kids around, they are simply struggling to get by day to day because it is exhausting managing their own grief, plus the kid's grief, plus the daily stuff of keeping everyone alive.

Instead, I would suggest something like just stopping by and offering to check things over and make a list of things that could be done. And then taking care of those things. Or helping find someone who can.

Alrighty, its 1:15 and tomorrow I'm breaking in the new trailer by taking a bunch of stuff ot the dump. So I'm going to attempt to get some sleep.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78 ... 222, 223, 224  Next
Jump to:
Page 77 of 224

Jump to: