Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can you take your own parts to your shop?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep I can but I prefer he does it and for what its worth I only pay his cost, no markup as I do free labour around his shop and yard. I don't pay that dreaded labour cost either. Sometimes it takes longer to get done but I've learned to live with it. I trust my mechanic more than I trust any of my other doctors Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luVWagn wrote:
Syncrozilla wrote:
rsxsr wrote:
[i]I buy my steaks online and when we go out for dinner, I bring my steaks with me and ask them to cook them for.

This is what I tell my customers or perspective customers when they ask about supplying parts. I only allow it on rare occasions like a special part that's not easily obtainable etc. If you want to buy your own parts you should install them. My business model depends on my parts markup. It's pretty simple really.

I would never have Carterzest as my customer Wink

And using the same analogy, some restaurants DO let you bring your own wine - with a corkage fee. I've inquired with many shops about BYOP, and expressed willingness to pay some adder, or an increased labour rate... Some say okay, others say nope.

One concern some customers who are not mechanically savvy - when a business model relies on parts markup, how frequently will parts be unnecessarily replaced as part of repairs, in order to add additional profit to the job? Although, yeah, they can pad labour instead...

Well, in my experience, restaurants that allow you to BYOB...... Do NOT have a liquor license. They CANNOT legally sell you a bottle of wine but you can certainly bring one in and they will gladly serve it to you, sometimes for free, other times for a small corking fee.

I've never seen an establishment with a license encourage you to BYOB.
That would be like going into the local watering hole and bringing a six pack of beer in with you and asking them to serve it to you!

I worked in shops that charged you Dealer Retail on cheap after market parts!

Be an educated consumer but allow the shop to make the money they need by selling the parts if at all possible.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rym
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
Quote:
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin ...

Hah! That is going straight to my purchasing department tomorrow morning! So true..
Birdcage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I've never really asked, I just order stuff when I've been drinking and have it sent directly to the shop. I guess that why a two week project turns into a few months.

Although I do find if your a pain in the ass the shop probably hates dealing with you even more if you go this route. If you have to ask yourself if your this guy you probably are.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: