Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Looking very sharp! On decals, did you check out Gunzl Classic Parts? (vwbusshop)

http://www.vwbusshop.de/epages/GuenzlClassicParts....kor_Folien

I had actually forgotten about those, and they are probably pretty legit. They are slightly cost prohibitive though, with the conversion rate and shipping. The other problem I had was getting all the decals in the same custom color vinyl. lodcomm was a savior on this point, as I could get everything through him, once sorting out the Club Joker decals. He was helpful in ordering the material, since he did not have any in stock. If I was sticking to black, it would be more of a non-issue.
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

slo356 wrote:
kustomizingkid wrote:
So when do we get to see it covered in mud and dust and dirt?

Heck with the mud, I have seen plenty of Syncro rigs with mud! I would really like to see this machine in person before any dirt. Are you going to show it anywhere? Maybe some local VW shows during the summer?

If you live anywhere near the West Coast we have an ALL EUROPEAN CAR and MOTORCYCLE SHOW in middle of July called "Gathering Of Friends" in San Luis Obispo, California. We have a class for VW Buses and as one of the organizers and I can help you if interested. PM if interested.

Anyway great work!

I appreciate the sentiment, but on the wrong coast ... barring an epic road trip! I do plan on doing some shows, but not until I get the interior somewhat presentable.
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

Signalocity wrote:

I considered going with a bay window plaid for some of the interior upholstery, but I have always been drawn to the earlier Van Dyke Vanagon fabric. It’s not cheap, but it maintains that vintage feel, goes well with the green, and adds just that right amount of funky to the mix.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sorry, but you lost out to the Van Dyke Wink
hrtm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

Oh right! - I thought perhaps that was just for the dash accent. Are you going Van Dyke for the entire interior? Maybe go with some flat grey door panels for that split window vibe & thus have a little bit of 50s/60s, 70s, & 80s. The entire cosmetic history of VW buses in one van!
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

hrtm wrote:
Oh right! - I thought perhaps that was just for the dash accent. Are you going Van Dyke for the entire interior? Maybe go with some flat grey door panels for that split window vibe & thus have a little bit of 50s/60s, 70s, & 80s. The entire cosmetic history of VW buses in one van!

It will be a mix of beige/brown vinyl and tweeds, with Van Dyke inserts. Seats and panels. That's the plan in my head anyway, which is apt to change on whim.
narendra.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

This time only comment!
I have what you don’t have & these are really useful in protecting the under side of the mud guard. These also acts as sound proofing.

I can’t resist, I will compliment,
Getting OE warning stickers, ultimate.
Jamos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

First of all, your van looks truly amazing. Hopefully you can get out there and enjoy all of that work.

I'm curious, where did you learn that the ID ties into the last of the VIN #?
My Westfalia's door sticker says ID 99 309, but that does not relate to my van's VIN at all.

And thank you for the meister.us.com link to order new stickers. I'm about to order one!

Signalocity wrote:
16CV's wrote:
I'm intrigued by the Westfalia door tag. Do the serial Number or ID # tie into anything with the VIN?
I have a Multivan clone and would love to have that on my door. I see he makes some other cool decals, I just need to figure out what to put on My Door sticker.

Stacy

The I.D. # is the last of the VIN, the production date is obvious, and the "H" is for the model year (1987). The digit part of the serial number is made up, since this is clearly not factory. I chose the area code from where I used to live. Wink

This is also where I got my fuel type decals.

Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

narendra.vw wrote:
This time only comment!
I have what you don’t have & these are really useful in protecting the under side of the mud guard. These also acts as sound proofing.

There is a version of those available state side, but from what I recall, they are not the best fitting. They make more sense to me in vehicles that have a void in the fender well, that needs to be covered. In a T3 application, I would be more concerned with trapped water and debris using those more than anything else.

Last edited by Signalocity on Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

Jamos wrote:
First of all, your van looks truly amazing. Hopefully you can get out there and enjoy all of that work.

I'm curious, where did you learn that the ID ties into the last of the VIN #?
My Westfalia's door sticker says ID 99 309, but that does not relate to my van's VIN at all.

And thank you for the meister.us.com link to order new stickers. I'm about to order one!

Signalocity wrote:
16CV's wrote:
I'm intrigued by the Westfalia door tag. Do the serial Number or ID # tie into anything with the VIN?
I have a Multivan clone and would love to have that on my door. I see he makes some other cool decals, I just need to figure out what to put on My Door sticker.

Stacy

The I.D. # is the last of the VIN, the production date is obvious, and the "H" is for the model year (1987). The digit part of the serial number is made up, since this is clearly not factory. I chose the area code from where I used to live. Wink

This is also where I got my fuel type decals.

I should have been a little more clear on this. The last of the VIN, is the I.D. part of the VIN, so that is what I used in that field. I'm not sure what Westfalia references in a stock application.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

Signalocity wrote:
narendra.vw wrote:
This time only comment!

There is a version of those available state side, but from what I recall, they are not the best fitting. They make more sense to me in vehicles that have a void in the fender well, that needs to be covered. In a T3 application, I would be more concerned with trapped water and debris using those more than anything else.

I bought a set of those fender well inserts years ago and never used them because of the poor fit when trying to make them sit within the wheel well. They were designed to fit along the outside edge of the wheel well and not very attractive.
However, when I got a pair of Terrawagon rear flares then they worked well; the flare covers the edge of the insert and holds it in place.
Unfortunately the front flare does not work the same way (most of it being attached to the door) so I still don't use the fronts. Which is too bad as they might have reduced tire/road noise under the front seats.

As for them being dirt catchers, I think they help keep dirt away from the Syncro fuel tank, the a/c drier, and fuel filter. (of course I cleaned, painted, and sealed my wheel wells before installation) I'll pull them off once a year to clean, but so far they have worked good. I'm actually more concerned about the flares trapping dirt and salt!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

Signalocity wrote:
Signalocity wrote:

I considered going with a bay window plaid for some of the interior upholstery, but I have always been drawn to the earlier Van Dyke Vanagon fabric. It’s not cheap, but it maintains that vintage feel, goes well with the green, and adds just that right amount of funky to the mix.

That's a sweet looking dash Cool

On your 3 knob setup, do you have the driveshaft decoupled when pushed in or pulled out?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
As for them being dirt catchers, I think they help keep dirt away from the Syncro fuel tank, the a/c drier, and fuel filter. (of course I cleaned, painted, and sealed my wheel wells before installation) I'll pull them off once a year to clean, but so far they have worked good. I'm actually more concerned about the flares trapping dirt and salt!

I could see how they might offer some benefit in that regard.
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
Signalocity wrote:
Signalocity wrote:

That's a sweet looking dash Cool

On your 3 knob setup, do you have the driveshaft decoupled when pushed in or pulled out?

Thanks! I have it set up ad decoupled when pushed in.
88Mussbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

Congrats on your build Signal! FYI, love the color soul brother! Enjoy and hope our paths cross someday.

Thanks for the props,
Craig
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

Signalocity wrote:

Do you know where you got the sticker sheet? I looked on k-four.net and didn't really see them on there? Or did I miss something? I really like these!
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

thasty07 wrote:
Signalocity wrote:

Do you know where you got the sticker sheet? I looked on k-four.net and didn't really see them on there? Or did I miss something? I really like these!

If I recall, I found them on E-bay, but K4 has a link for dealer searches ...

http://www.k4switches.com/switch-labels-and-mounts...black.html
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

'88Mussbus wrote:
Congrats on your build Signal! FYI, love the color soul brother! Enjoy and hope our paths cross someday.

Thanks for the props,
Craig

Thanks so much and likewise!
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

Any news here? By far the beast thread going on the Vanagon page.
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

Not much for the time being. I have relocated and took a new job and did a little traveling. All of which has been keeping me busy, plus the moving expense put the van on the back burner for a bit. i hope to get back to it, when the temperatures come back down a little.
87vanwes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy) Reply with quote

I've been meaning to check in on you for a while.

I hope all is well with you and yours before I ask how your build is coming.

This is one of my favorite threads and a huge inspiration on my build.

I miss this one popping up.

Cheers....

1987 westy syncro tdi conversion and restoration.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 31 of 33

Jump to: