Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

update failed aircare
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
schoonerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: update failed aircare Reply with quote

After checking everything suggested and checking again, I couldn't find any problems, except for the afm screw being 13 turns out.
I decided to take it into a shop with air care testing equipment.

They checked everything made adjustments to the afm and throttle body screw and increased the idle to 1100 rpm.

Took her back to the air care testing center and passed with flying colors
The first test showed a HC of over 500ppm at idle.
The passing test showed HC at 109ppm.....the max allowable 314ppm

The shop told me that the cause of the high HC at idle was the special cams in the performance engine I have.

Howesight.......you were dead on with your suggestion about increasing the idle rpm
Anyhow all's well and thanks everyone
Mike
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
Just a suggestion. If you keep your aircare failure all together in one thread, it will be easier for your fellow sambists to follow and provide advice. From what I can see, you have at least three threads running about aircare failure. It is hard to follow what has and hasn't been done and/or been suggested when having to refer to several different threads.

I noticed that you did this with your charging and fuel injector topics as well.

Again, just a suggestion.
schoonerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GMByers wrote:
Mike,
Just a suggestion. If you keep your aircare failure all together in one thread, it will be easier for your fellow sambists to follow and provide advice. From what I can see, you have at least three threads running about aircare failure. It is hard to follow what has and hasn't been done and/or been suggested when having to refer to several different threads.

I noticed that you did this with your charging and fuel injector topics as well.

I couldn't seem to find my original post ....failed aircare bad idle ????
I searched thru past pages and put it in the search box.
I guess I'm doing something wrong?
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schoonerman wrote:
GMByers wrote:
Mike,

I couldn't seem to find my original post ....failed aircare bad idle ????
I searched thru past pages and put it in the search box.
I guess I'm doing something wrong?

Yes, you need to spell things correctly. Your original post was entitled "failed Aircare, bad idle"
If you follow the rules of grammar and spelling, its a lot easier to retrace your steps! Wink

Here it is: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7141002
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
When I can't find a post I've started or commented on, I usually go to my profile and l click on "Find all posts by..." or "Find all topics started by..."

Just a thought.
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you are ready to get re-tested, bring it to the Richmond one. Go in Lane ONE. Bring a kid and some cookies. They were *really* kind and generous with me there. The very nice man that couldn't test me in Lane two (really I'd have failed, which I kind of figured, but until later I didn't know why and was maintaining a positive attitude as they phase air care out). He sent me to lane one, after we gave him a cookie.

Guy in lane two, did the test 2-3 times, had a cookie each time. No, I'm not kidding. He called the test B.S. (in front of my son I might add! Rolling Eyes) and kept at it until they'd collected enough emissions to test me. A few cookies later, no I'm still not kidding, he passed me, I gave him the rest of our cookies-my son wasn't happy and told me I had a hole in my exhaust. I *might* want to get it looked at one day...One day soon, I asked? Eh, he said when ever, if you like.

I got it checked right away. As it turns out. I had *multiple* holes in my entire exhaust system. My guy was shocked I'd passed at all. It was either the cookies OR the fact that the man thought the test was BS. Wink And, of course he liked my Vanagon and used to own one. Smile

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
schoonerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
When you are ready to get re-tested, bring it to the Richmond one. Go in Lane ONE. Bring a kid and some cookies. They were *really* kind and generous with me there. The very nice man that couldn't test me in Lane two (really I'd have failed, which I kind of figured, but until later I didn't know why and was maintaining a positive attitude as they phase air care out). He sent me to lane one, after we gave him a cookie.

Guy in lane two, did the test 2-3 times, had a cookie each time. No, I'm not kidding. He called the test B.S. (in front of my son I might add! Rolling Eyes) and kept at it until they'd collected enough emissions to test me. A few cookies later, no I'm still not kidding, he passed me, I gave him the rest of our cookies-my son wasn't happy and told me I had a hole in my exhaust. I *might* want to get it looked at one day...One day soon, I asked? Eh, he said when ever, if you like.

I got it checked right away. As it turns out. I had *multiple* holes in my entire exhaust system. My guy was shocked I'd passed at all. It was either the cookies OR the fact that the man thought the test was BS. Wink And, of course he liked my Vanagon and used to own one. Smile

tam

I passed so I wont have to go for a re-test, they are closing down in December
A good looking woman with a child and cookies, much better chance than an old fart like me Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: