Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Awesome compact COMFY camping chairs for your westy...
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skip Laubach wrote:
Anyone know a source for a wooden, smallish folding adirondack camp chair?

I saw them once, but a google search didn't hit the mark. The ones that I saw did not have arm rests, just a wooden slat seat and a wooden, slat sloping back.

Thanks.

Maybe this http://www.scouters.us/chair.php

On the Kermit Chairs - my friend has them and they are nice. They are also made in the USA.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
BillWYellowstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very familiar with the need/want conundrum. I have many years of experience with that for sure. I usually go over to the want side of things. Heck the Westy was a Want, Need? not really, we did do a little rationalizing to justify, we have certainly had our fun, and when you consider we live right at Old Faithful, in the midst of Yellowstone, any bump in fun is epic.

Chairs, well, they certainly look nice, and I want them, but afraid I am leaning on the need side of this one, because I need tires on both the westy and the Honda. Fortunately not on the motorhome!
Skip Laubach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Skip Laubach wrote:
Anyone know a source for a wooden, smallish folding adirondack camp chair?

I saw them once, but a google search didn't hit the mark. The ones that I saw did not have arm rests, just a wooden slat seat and a wooden, slat sloping back.

Thanks.

Maybe this http://www.scouters.us/chair.php

Them are those. Thanks VanagonJr! Looks like I'll have to clean up my wood shop!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also seen these wood folding chairs with fabric backs: http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/deta...3237363932
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$60-100+ for a chair you take camping? They look like GREAT chairs and I love how small they fold, would certainly love something that fits somewhere other than under my bench. Once I put something in the bench, it stays there until I take the car seats out for camping, my new window scraping brush accidentally got put in there last winter. I bought another at the Dollar store b/c it was too much work to get out! Wink

Seriously, those that have these spendy chairs, do you lock these great chairs up in the Vanagon when you leave your camp site, not leave the campsite or camp where no one is around to take things? I put my camp stove inside the Vanagon when we leave the site for a long time, so the idea of leaving even more valuable and easy to take chairs out, wouldn't occur to me. Nothing has ever gone missing, but I'd like to keep it that way!

And, those of you with kids, do the kids break them?

Ooooh, now you've explained why my pink $15 Target chair has lasted for 9 years now, I don't sit in it enough! Cool

tam
madspaniard wrote:
Everybody is different. In my case it makes no sense to invest on this or that camping chair. I don't usually last more than 15 minutes sitting down. Somehow I'm always busy either at the campsite BBQ, the fire pit, gathering more wood, taking the kid to the potty, chasing the kids in the woods, pulling something from the van, checking the battery level, getting more water or giving my chair away to somebody else that needs it. I have had four $15 BB&B chairs for about 10 years now. They just don't break and nobody wants to steal them!

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess either I'm lucky, camp in the right areas or both... never had anything stolen so far (and don't lock chairs, etc up when I'm gone either).

As far as chairs go, I need chairs that are light/compact and pull double duty as both campfire/relaxation chairs and more importantly chairs for eating at the roll-out aluminum table. Therefore the GCI folding directors chairs I posted links to earlier fit the bill perfectly for me and my family of four. The cheaper version ($40) are just fine. Haven't tried the $100 version yet.
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought them at Mountain Equipment Co-Op up here in Canuckistan, so... automatic lifetime warranty on everything they sell Smile

I'll eventually own a Kermit for van use, but for bike touring this wee chair would take the cake every darn time. Heck, I'm envisioning tossing two of these in the bottom of the stroller while we're wandering around the towns and cities of the west coast over the next few months, and the prospect of being able to just deploy these in a park while Grizzly (our son) naps out for an hour in the reclined stroller seems pretty civilized—and there's no way we'd be able to tote the bazooka-style wallyworld chairs around like that.

It's miniscule when packed up, but after 2 days of lounging in it, I can unequivocally say that it's darned comfy despite my fat bastardness.

I looked at the Alite Mantis as well, but the weight limit was 70lbs lower (!!!), and it wasn't cheaper enough to run that risk. Helinox was comfier too, by a broad margin.

1621 wrote:
One thing to note is the service life of these chairs. Spending $100+ on a chair that lasts two or three years is not ideal. We opted for a pair of Kermits for this reason. Certainly at the higher end of camp chairs in terms of price, but incredibly strong, lightweight, durable and very comfortable. If cost is not an issue, spend a little extra for the high quality. And have them embroidered with your name so they don't wander at the campground.

timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
a great comparo vid of the REI version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aeZ_pIpgEY

this guy can't get out of the chair without help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nbBAkw7i_4&feature=youtu.be&t=8m20s

I'm not quite as portly as that gentleman, but I did test standing up—no problem Wink It'll be easier after a few months of not working at a desk, and hoofing around a heap instead. Looking forward to that!
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
Seriously, those that have these spendy chairs, do you lock these great chairs up in the Vanagon when you leave your camp site, not leave the campsite or camp where no one is around to take things?

I bought mine solely for backpacking, kayaking, river running. It's quite lightweight and went flying a few times just in a 24-hour period. Unless I tie it down, no way would I leave it unpacked, be it at a campground or on a beach, for fear of Mother Nature stealing it, not a human. I've yet to run into theft problems at campgrounds, but have heard some interesting stories over the years (sites have been stolen out from under campers, with fist-throwing fights ensuing! Shocked ).

Since this has turned into a chair-for-all topic, cheapo (as in $7 cheap) Walmart folding chair #6 broke on a trip last year and that was the last straw. To me, it's a complete waste to be throwing away those chairs about once a year. Went to Dick's Sporting Goods and tried out a bunch of chairs they had; got this one (although, it was $10 less last year Think ): http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12737880 . When Westy camping, I prefer to sit in a comfy, relaxed state, potentially even falling asleep. Laughing
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need fat-ass chairs... wide load... hence my Cabela's big boy chair. love it!
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?product...BIK-551346
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye! That's what me hammock be for Wink

kamzcab86 wrote:
When Westy camping, I prefer to sit in a comfy, relaxed state, potentially even falling asleep. Laughing

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timichango wrote:
Aye! That's what me hammock be for Wink

kamzcab86 wrote:
When Westy camping, I prefer to sit in a comfy, relaxed state, potentially even falling asleep. Laughing

And not to derail this thread but I love this hammock....

http://www.rei.com/product/754769/eno-singlenest-hammock

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Mountain1.8t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got these last season and love them...easy up, very compact and light weight, in case you want to bring them on a hike, and quality made. Best yet, lifetime REI guarantee.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife had a similar chair she bought from REI. It was so difficult to put together because the fabric would not stretch enough that we took it back under their lifetime guaranty, which we found out is only for one year now. They let us slide as we had had it for slightly over a year because it was like new because we never really used it.

Now my wife has a similar style chair that is easier to put together. I can't find it right now to tell you the brand name.

On our recent Baja trip, she took her chair to the beach with her while she went snorkeling. When she came back the chair was gone, but she finally found it in 5 feet of water. The wind had blown it off the beach while she was snorkeling. Now she always weights it down when not sitting in it.

As for me, I have a couple of TravelChairs that I carry in my Van. Their not as compact, but then again, we're not sitting on the ground either.
We just replaced our old ones that have had heavy use for about 15 years with the new model. 'Hope they last anywhere near as long as the old ones.
http://www.rei.com/product/751136/travelchair-easy-rider-chair
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the helinox one, it seemed like it was going to be a bitch to get the corners over the poles—until I realized that I just needed to bow the pole a bit, like setting up a tent (or stringing an archery bow), rather than reefing on the fabric.

Love My Westy wrote:
My wife had a similar chair she bought from REI. It was so difficult to put together because the fabric would not stretch enough that we took it back under their lifetime guaranty, which we found out is only for one year now. They let us slide as we had had it for slightly over a year because it was like new because we never really used it.

wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
Everybody is different. In my case it makes no sense to invest on this or that camping chair. I don't usually last more than 15 minutes sitting down. Somehow I'm always busy either at the campsite BBQ, the fire pit, gathering more wood, taking the kid to the potty, chasing the kids in the woods, pulling something from the van, checking the battery level, getting more water or giving my chair away to somebody else that needs it. I have had four $15 BB&B chairs for about 10 years now. They just don't break and nobody wants to steal them!

I think it is interesting that these folks who espouse the qualities of a great chair also admit that they are a bit on the large size. Wink I'm like madspaniard, I have trouble sitting still for very long. Maybe that nervous energy keeps me thin?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skip Laubach wrote:
Anyone know a source for a wooden, smallish folding adirondack camp chair? .

Are you sure they weren't San Juan chairs? We bought these last year and are happy with them for many situations. Way more comfy than I thought they would be when I first saw them

http://www.beetlekillboards.com/store.html

I tend to "lounge" in my camp chairs (hang a leg over the arm rest, rock back and forth on 'em), so, I kill a folding chair every year or so.

Until they make a bomber version that fits into the luggage tray of the Westy, and has a drink holder, I'm going to keep considering them disposable. And I do hate that.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcdennis wrote:
I think it is interesting that these folks who espouse the qualities of a great chair also admit that they are a bit on the large size. Wink I'm like madspaniard, I have trouble sitting still for very long. Maybe that nervous energy keeps me thin?

Meh—spend enough time at a campsite, and after many hours of hiking, puttering, adjusting, chopping, collecting, stoking, cooking, cleaning, yogafying, sharpening, mending, and other mucking about, it's not the sedentary moments at the campsite that fatten you up.

Rather, it's the profound lusty abandon that my gullet has for microbrewed hoppy suds, and my shocking capacity for putting them back unfazed.

Also, at my absolute skinniest ever, when I was in my mid-20s, and living in Australia surfing for 4 hours every day, I was 210 / 5'9" with only a couple extra pounds on me. I'm built like a small refrigerator / gorilla. 10 years later, and having been strapped to a desk for 60 hours a week for the past 4 years, and I am the scourge of marginally constructed furniture.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: