Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

59 dove blue camper build, Camper guys: Input appreciated!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zackcowie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is a shot from today. Exposing the paint through all those layers sure is tough. Worth while, but tough. my fingers hurt, I'm cold, and I'm happy as hell with the results so far Smile There was even some filler i sanded out and the OG paint was still fine underneath.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have those on my EZ camper 1966- May have some spares when the jobs done- they do show up here once in a while, but pricey. Also that bus has a complete original interior so if you need some dimensions I'll be glad to help- but right now its in the paint shop with no end in sight-

would kill for your door fitting.

From what I've read here - there were many campers based on the panel van with the windows cut into the side. m-code just simple van- windows sawzall into the side just like yours and mine.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!

Last edited by williamM on Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of hackage in that package! However, it makes for a "clear" canvas to do whatever you want in order to suit your own wants/needs! Cool
zackcowie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
I have those on my EZ camper 1966- May have some spares when the jobs done- they do show up here once in a while, but pricey. Also that bus has a complete original interior so if you need some dimensions I'll be glad to help- but right now its in the paint shop with no end in sight-

would kill for your door fitting.

From what I've read here - there were many campers based on the panel van with the windows cut into the side. m-code just simple van- windows sawzall into the side just like yours and mine.

Heck yeah I would love it I I could get the dimensions from your easy camper! And if you have any windows left over I would be happy to buy them off of you. Thanks, I love how straight my bus is. All the doors and hatches close perfectly. First Vw I have owned like this! Usually I have to slam the door and hope it stays!

Would a birth certificate let me know history on the camper conversion?
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zackcowie wrote:

Would a birth certificate let me know history on the camper conversion?

birth cert only shows what it was when it was ordered new. Still good info, i would get it.

this looks like an aftermarked conversion VW would know nothing about.

if it was me, i would either buy something used, or get one of the new kits that are being made now.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
zackcowie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought so. But I will get one any way, I have always thought they wee a cool thing to have. Okay here's some dumb questions : my bus was built in oct 1958. Should It be slash bumper? And which tail light would it have? And last but not least is the crank start apron I have correct for my bus?
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIY camper interiors are really common in the UK...you might look thru the SSVC forums for some ideas. Style-wise, there will be a lot to NOT like (IMO), but you'll see lots of different styles.

I like the idea of making an early OTW camper, esp. since you have the perfect base for it. I'd copy a Devon, or one of the other UK campers, if I had the wood working skills to pull it off.

This one is a Devon clone (maybe Canterbury-Pitt?...can't quite remember), and has a LOT of detailed pics:

http://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=82512

Which ever route you choose, please do put up pics - I'd like to follow your progress.

Good luck!
zackcowie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great link I had no idea the ssvc had a forum of this magnitude. Awesome link, thanks for the recomendation, I'll keep up on the pictures, for sure! Wink
zackcowie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the flyer for my 21st birthday party, centered around getting my bus down to original paint. thought it would be a neat thing to ad to my build thread.
hoagy86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would come help if I was closer man best of luck I would be circling making sure people didn't get too crazy with it Cool
Cainepolo12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me I would convert it back to a panel and install one of the Kustom Interiors kits inside. Windows really limit your options in making it a useable camper.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, driving a bus with no windows sucks (sorry to all the panel guys). They are super loud inside and the only way to fix that is to use a divider:

Putting a complete camper kit in it (with all the wood paneling/insulation) will help quiet it down as well and having those windows in it will make it more enjoyable to drive it (IMHO). Camping windows are what make it usable for camping by providing air flow (ask anyone who has camped in a bus without them on a hot summer night).
mg6770
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cainepolo12 wrote:
Windows really limit your options in making it a useable camper.

Really? I'm thinking just the opposite. My buddy has a panel with camper interior. I have a kombi with camper interior. We camp together 12-15 times in a year easily. Any time we're "indoors" we're in my bus rather than his cause you can still have a great view of your surroundings. Panel, not so much. Just my thoughts..
Phil 4:13
zackcowie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
IMHO, driving a bus with no windows sucks (sorry to all the panel guys). They are super loud inside and the only way to fix that is to use a divider:

Putting a complete camper kit in it (with all the wood paneling/insulation) will help quiet it down as well and having those windows in it will make it more enjoyable to drive it (IMHO). Camping windows are what make it usable for camping by providing air flow (ask anyone who has camped in a bus without them on a hot summer night).

I have to agree with you completely, no windows is a heavy burden, plus it gets pretty hot here in so cal, and camper windows wound help immensely. Though I do appreciate all opinions and input, I am going to be using the camper windows for sure Wink
Ohio_Style
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JOGR (he's on here) had a set of those Hehr windows for cut busses. Might try dropping him a line and see if he still does

Slammed Thing
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9278729#9278729
Lifted Split Bus Build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738403
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zackcowie wrote:

Here is the flyer for my 21st birthday party, centered around getting my bus down to original paint. thought it would be a neat thing to ad to my build thread.

If this was available in poster size, why, I would just have to have one for the shop. That is very clever and well executed. I've done the sanding party a couple of times. And from personal experience it might be a good idea to limit the availability of adult beverages until later in the day. Sanding paint off is one thing. Sanding down to OG paint is best done with total control of your faculties, if you know what I mean.

Happy Birthday and have fun!

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Cainepolo12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cainepolo12 wrote:
If it were me I would convert it back to a panel and install one of the Kustom Interiors kits inside. Windows really limit your options in making it a useable camper.

Maybe I should rephrase. If I had a panel (which I don't), and wanted to make it a camper, I think that you can do some really cool, creative things in making it a resto-mod. However, I don't know that I would trade my 67 SO42 for a panel to do that. Its mostly just my creative side talking.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a reason why VW didn't use panels for campers...
zackcowie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohio_Style wrote:
JOGR (he's on here) had a set of those Hehr windows for cut busses. Might try dropping him a line and see if he still does

Thanks for the lead! I will send him a pm, perhaps he will have them still. If not, the octo meet is around the corner and I'm hoping there might be some there.

Thanks for lookin out!
durfeec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understand there are 2 different size camper windows like that. The smaller ones for cut in panels, which I think you have, and a larger size that fits into a kombi window opening. Make sure you're getting the right ones. Cut panel campers are where it's at. I prefer it over a late westy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: