Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tips for removing rear fiberglass bumper cover
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwendorf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Tips for removing rear fiberglass bumper cover Reply with quote

I have removed the four bolts that hold the rear fiberglass bumper cover onto my '89 carat (two behind wheel wells, two above the tow clips), however the thing won't budge.

Anything else I should be checking here?
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to remove the two bolts on each frame rail that hold the bumper bracket to the frame rail. That actually isn't a bumper cover - it's the whole bumper, so the brackets are bolted directly to it. Once those big bolts are out, the whole bumper will slide out. There are additional bolts on the inside of the bumper that you can't see when it is mounted.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumper cover...lol

yeah, believe it or not that pos made it past DOT and NHSTA

were you able to remove it?
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep.
And just to clarify.

There are 4 large bolts (2 each side) in the frame members (can be seen from under side near the wheel well).
These attach to brackets that slide INTO the frame members (bolted to the from inside).. the brackets slide out with the bumper AFTER you detach the items below...

There are two bolts (one each) side that attach end caps to side brackets bolted up on the inside body panel..

AND, there are two smaller, kinda rinky-dink, brackets (one each side) that are visible from under the bumper just behind the rear wheels.. these are secondary side brackets that help align and stiffen the assembly when bolted to the van.. These two also manage to slice my knuckles up almost every time I have to deal with them.

If the bumper won't budge?
You've missed one of these.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
Yep.
And just to clarify.

There are 4 large bolts (2 each side) in the frame members (can be seen from under side near the wheel well).
These attach to brackets that slide INTO the frame members (bolted to the from inside).. the brackets slide out with the bumper AFTER you detach the items below...

There are two bolts (one each) side that attach end caps to side brackets bolted up on the inside body panel..

AND, there are two smaller, kinda rinky-dink, brackets (one each side) that are visible from under the bumper just behind the rear wheels.. these are secondary side brackets that help align and stiffen the assembly when bolted to the van.. These two also manage to slice my knuckles up almost every time I have to deal with them.

If the bumper won't budge?
You've missed one of these.

gosh I have done this so many times I think I can do it blindfolded

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:

gosh I have done this so many times I think I can do it blindfolded

No doubt, eh?
I've done it so many times I have left a few bolts off, figuring I'd just be doing it again, soon enough. Laughing

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for removing rear fiberglass bumper cover Reply with quote

I know, it's an old thread. It would seem, from the lack of threads that came up in a search, that I am the only one ever to have trouble getting the bumper off.

Anyone have issues with getting the bumper off a Doka? I've taken the 2 bolts that hold it to the frame and it moves up and down a centimeter when I pull up and down on the hitch but that's about it.

I know there isn't anything else holding it that I can see and it looks like it should just pull back but nothing so far. I will attach it to a hand winch and see if I can't pull it off.

But nothing different on a Syncro Doka I might have missed?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for removing rear fiberglass bumper cover Reply with quote

The tow bars have a 3rd bolt further up on the frame Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for removing rear fiberglass bumper cover Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
The tow bars have a 3rd bolt further up on the frame Wink

Doh! Came right out. I thought the bolts were just fillers for something else. Now getting that new plate steel bumper in is proving difficult. Those holes just do not want to line up. Will use a little force with the floor jack to hold it up.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for removing rear fiberglass bumper cover Reply with quote

Great thread!

Puzzle solved!

Thanks!

I added this thread to the FAQ section.

Also a parts drawing to help understand the assembly.....

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for removing rear fiberglass bumper cover Reply with quote

If, like me, you find yourself with one of the fiberglass supports in which the buried bolts are mounted in a damaged beyond repair state, you can replace it a thru bolt, I used PVC pipe as a spacer to mimic the length of the fiberglass brace so that I had a stop to prevent myself from over-torqueing the bolt and crushing my bumper. Also, make sure there is a large fender washer on both sides of the bumper.

Trust me that all makes sense and will be helpful if somebody visits this thread with the same problem or finds the problem when s/he removes the bumper.
dasilva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for removing rear fiberglass bumper cover Reply with quote

Upon removing my bumper, the bolts sheared off. Pics attached.

From Dave's drawing, I think I need to try to remove the whole 'loop' assembly (number 1) by attacking fasteners 4 and 6.

To date, heat, PB Blaster and a speed out have all failed me!

mikemtnbike, what size PVC pipe were you using?

DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for removing rear fiberglass bumper cover Reply with quote

Bolt #4 goes into a brass/bronze insert which is molded into the fiberglass bumper. #6 goers into a welded nut on the bumper bracket. I think this is true, as I completely rebuilt my old bumper last Christmas. Usually what happens is the bronze insert separates from the bolt leaving a serious mess. It is easy to take a stainless nut and just rebuild the mounting point using JB Weld for epoxy. You can make patterns fro the spacing from the mating members and get them in the right spot. It's fussy and takes time, but is not hard work at all. With the bolt into the bumper bracket, drill it out and retap and use a 'Mercan bolt.

As far as I can tell, the bolts on the side pieces that connect to the body work are really there to trash the body tin in the event of a slight nudge. They sure are good at that.

D
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for removing rear fiberglass bumper cover Reply with quote

dasilva wrote:
Upon removing my bumper, the bolts sheared off. Pics attached.

From Dave's drawing, I think I need to try to remove the whole 'loop' assembly (number 1) by attacking fasteners 4 and 6.

To remove the bumper carriers (brackets), you need to remove the 4 bolts (2 per bracket) holding them to the frame... #7 in this illustration (oddly, not shown in the fiberglass version):

Edit: Image link broken. See the new illustration below.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子

Last edited by kamzcab86 on Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for removing rear fiberglass bumper cover Reply with quote

1/2" or 3/4" whichever I had on hand. Pretty sure it wad 1/2". Just something for the bolt shaft to pass through and to act as a stop. I can take a picture of how this looks from the outside much later today if you want.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for removing rear fiberglass bumper cover Reply with quote

When you remove the fiberglass bumper you are leaving it attached to the mounting brackets.
Unbolt the brackets from the frame.

Here are the brackets, you can see each one has provision fir two bolts.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
dasilva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for removing rear fiberglass bumper cover Reply with quote

You guys are such a great resource! I'm hopefully back to work on the van on Friday. I'll report my progress
heynanc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for removing rear fiberglass bumper cover Reply with quote

Many thanks to all of the contributors to this thread, including the person who asked the question in the first place!! Today I am battling the rear bumper on an 89 Carat. Every time I think I am unbolting the last bolt, there are more.

Heading out to look for those ones inside above the tow loop bracket.
1984 Westfailia Vanagon EJ22 “ Guinness”
2006 Dodge Sprinter (long/tall)
2006 Winnebago View (in case the buses aren’t cooperating)
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for removing rear fiberglass bumper cover Reply with quote

I have a particularly fond memory of bolt #17 on the diagram above. Fun times.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for removing rear fiberglass bumper cover Reply with quote

Since 7zap is down, and it irritates me that VW's diagram is missing the two bracket bolts, I've done some illustration updating:

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子

Last edited by kamzcab86 on Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: