Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Did I just Seize my motor!?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:10 pm    Post subject: Did I just Seize my motor!? Reply with quote

85’ westy automatic.

I just did a hill climb, in my auto westy in 2nd gear and forgot to put van back into “drive” before descending. I descended at about 100 km/hr. So yes, I over revved the engine and didn’t realize until the bottom of the hill when I heard the engine revving high and then there was a brief moment of a valve-y / pinging sound that lasted for a brief moment. At this moment I realized it was in 2nd and threw it in drive. Then engine stalled and I drifted to a stop. When I attempt to restart the engine doesn’t even turn over Sad. I have 12v at my starter battery.
It just sounds like there is binding or the starter cannot turn.

What do the gurus of thesamba think has happened.
2013 ktm 690r
Sector nine pintail
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Did I just Seize my motor!? Reply with quote

100km/hr (62mph) in 2nd....
I wonder how many RPM that is?
My gut feel is that it's (high but) not too high.
Some automatic trans feller will know better than I.

But the noise could have dropped a valve.
Which could stuck the engine...

Can you turn the engine by pulling on the drive belts?
Or with a wrench on the alternator pulley?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Did I just Seize my motor!? Reply with quote

I haven’t tried yet but will when I get the van home. Just waiting for a tow truck. Re rpm’s I know I rev at 3800 rpm when cruising at 100 km/h on a flat rd.
2013 ktm 690r
Sector nine pintail
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Did I just Seize my motor!? Reply with quote

kamz table shows vanagon with AT and 25.6" tires running at 3,221 at 60 mph. The gear ratio for 3rd is 1.00 and the ratio for 2nd is 1.5 so it would run at 4,831 at 60 mph in 2nd, well below redline of 5,400. At 70 mph you'd be flirting with redline depending on your setup.

http://oldbluesblog.com/files/VanagonTransSpecs.pdf

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Did I just Seize my motor!? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
kamz table shows vanagon with AT and 25.6" tires running at 3,221 at 60 mph. The gear ratio for 3rd is 1.00 and the ratio for 2nd is 1.5 so it would run at 4,831 at 60 mph in 2nd, well below redline of 5,400. At 70 mph you'd be flirting with redline depending on your setup.

Thanks Jim. My tires are 215/70/15 with a diameter of 26.9”. How does that play into your calculations? Thanks.
2013 ktm 690r
Sector nine pintail
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Did I just Seize my motor!? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bigger tires let the engine turn slower.
25.6 / 26.9 = .95 (5% slower)

Using Jims & Kamz numbers…..
.95 x 4831 RPM = 4600 RPM,
~the hairy edge~ of acceptable, but not in the red.

I don’t think your engine problem was caused (specifically) by that 2nd gear event.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Did I just Seize my motor!? Reply with quote

shorepig wrote:
jimf909 wrote:

Thanks Jim. My tires are 215/70/15 with a diameter of 26.9”. How does that play into your calculations? Thanks.

Larger diameter tires will reduce the engine rpm for the same mph.
- 25.6" tires rotate 786 times per mile
- 215/70 R15 tires are about 26.85" in diameter and rotate 751 times per mile

Yoiur larger tires rotate about 4.5% fewer times per mile which would have the same reduction on engine rpms.

In short, your larger tires reduce your rpms compared to the information in kamz chart.

Edit: jinx, Sodo

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Did I just Seize my motor!? Reply with quote

first off, see if you can rotate the engine, backwards a little.

l have an up and coming subaru conversion, because of a lock up, it turned out to be the rockers on cylinder #4.
it would go round to a stop, and then back the other way, until a stop, my initial thoughts were it was a bolt had come out of the torque converter, it turned out is was the valves has hit the piston.
it was the push my customer needed to go for a conversion.

619 201 0310
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Did I just Seize my motor!? Reply with quote

I smell a tear down.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Did I just Seize my motor!? Reply with quote

markswagen wrote:

l have an up and coming subaru conversion, because of a lock up, it turned out to be the rockers on cylinder #4.
it would go round to a stop, and then back the other way, until a stop, my initial thoughts were it was a bolt had come out of the torque converter, it turned out is was the valves has hit the piston.

Tell us more about the rockers on #4 please.

What happened to them?
Were they OE VW or was this an after market AMC head setup?

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Did I just Seize my motor!? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
markswagen wrote:

Tell us more about the rockers on #4 please.

What happened to them?
Were they OE VW or was this an after market AMC head setup?
I'm curious about this as well. I was planning to post a question soon about peoples latest experiences with aftermarket heads.
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Did I just Seize my motor!? Reply with quote

Oil and coolant level OK when you were doing your downhill run? No indicator of the coolant temp gauge or red led pegged? Oil light and oil buzzer didn't go off?

More than likely valve is stuck open or dropped.

As others have mentioned try turning the motor by hand to see if there's a hard mechanical stop. Might need to get one of those inspection cameras to drop down in a spark plug hole to see if you've got a valve and piston that decided to have a romantic rendezvous.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Did I just Seize my motor!? Reply with quote

quite possibly that while below redline a rocker could have still popped off a pushrod or sumsuch.
I do agree to pop the valve covers 1st..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Did I just Seize my motor!? Reply with quote

Valve float and valve hit the piston. I don’t think throwing it into drive is related. The noise you heard that alerted you to the fact you had left it in second was the sound of a mechanical failure.

“Hill Climb” is that some sort of competition? Trying to understand the logic of manually downshifting an automatic going up hill. Granted I am a flat lander. Sounds internal to me.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Did I just Seize my motor!? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Valve float and valve hit the piston. I don’t think throwing it into drive is related. The noise you heard that alerted you to the fact you had left it in second was the sound of a mechanical failure.

“Hill Climb” is that some sort of competition? Trying to understand the logic of manually downshifting an automatic going up hill. Granted I am a flat lander. Sounds internal to me.

Extended highway climbing is actually easier when you downshift to 2nd and hold the hill around 50 mph- with a stock motor, obvs. I also think it's technically easier on the tran than lugging it in 3rd slowing down until 2nd shifts in on it's own. The kick-down won't always "hold" it in 2nd, hunts a little.
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Did I just Seize my motor!? Reply with quote

There are hills here that I have to manually shift my automatic to second to keep momentum going uphill.

Downhill downshifting to second would be for engine braking purposes.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Did I just Seize my motor!? Reply with quote

My native shift pattern from 2nd to 3rd doesn't even hit the "power band" RPMs.. I nearly always shift to 2 at a stop sign, and push to 3 when I hit 50 or so mph.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Did I just Seize my motor!? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
“Hill Climb” is that some sort of competition?

Yes, between your 5000-pound brick with 90hp and gravity.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wink

MarkWard wrote:
Trying to understand the logic of manually downshifting an automatic going up hill. Granted I am a flat lander.

Being able to manually select gears 2 and 1 was made available for a reason. Out here in the West, manually downshifting an automatic is practically a necessity.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Did I just Seize my motor!? Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
MarkWard wrote:
“Hill Climb” is that some sort of competition?

Yes, between your 5000-pound brick with 90hp and gravity.

Laughing

The eternal struggle!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Did I just Seize my motor!? Reply with quote

So it’s semi-automatic. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: