Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Exhaust failure
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trafly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Vanagon Exhaust failure Reply with quote

Hello All,
First post here so I apologize in advance if I've missed this subject. I did search.
So I have an 89 Vanagon syncro and live in the flats of Berkeley Ca. My issue is corrosion failure of the exhaust system. From the header pipes to the tail pipe. I've owned the van since '97 and don't remember the times I've replaced parts, or had them welded up. The corrosion I'm seeing is happening from the outside. The metal blisters and flakes off. The bolts basically dissolve away.
Any ideas as to why? Yes I live in the direct path of the fog and salt air coming in off the Bay. In the past the van would sit around for long periods of time. I do drive up to Tahoe for skiing. It has a new GW 2.3 engine 3 years ago, and the exhaust system looks like it is 20yo.
Could this be a grounding issue? Has anyone found a fix for this issue if you suffer from this problem? I have the same issue with the water pipe PN#025.121.081G (pump to thermotsat)
My thoughts are to change out with SS, but which one? GW or RMW or other??? (Note I've spoken with reps form GW and RMW) Not to put any bad press out there on either vendor, so perhaps if you have a negative comment of either system you would PM me. I see pluses and minuses to both.
Thanks in advance.
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Condensation will build up and rot the exhaust from the inside out
You said the van sits for periods of time / always good to run it up to temp-
few times a month or a ride or just idling in the driveway
Just my 2 cents
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GW stainless system is really good, but the RMW system is even better.
With the 2.3, I would go with the Corkin's designed system from RMW.

Make sure that you get the Cali approved CAT with whatever you decide upon.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had you seasoned the exhaust system with peanut oil this issue wouldn't have been a problem.

No stainless required.
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I've been doing the peanut oil thing for a few years now after seeing TK recommend it. A couple of things to note: ant's love it so paint it on then go for a drive. You will enjoy the smell of roasting peanuts as it heats up, pretty cool. I do it every spring, works pretty well..YMMV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The basic idea behind seasoning is to apply the peanut oil & allow the metal to get hot, just as one would season a cast iron frying pan-----
Way prior to the ants landing.

Been using this no rust set up on the exhaust system technique too long to mention.

It works quite well.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, one time I painted it on then waited before it drove it. The ants had a little party with the drips on the garage floor. Ha ha.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trafly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Vanagon Exhaust failure Reply with quote

So will the peanut oil still work if it was not done originally? Will this help my rotting coolant pipes?

Do you have a special Peanut oil you use?

Thanks,
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say, I'm intrigued by the Peanut oil concept.

At first I thought TK was messing with us, of course he would NEVER do that! ..... Right?

Googled it and up spring the praises of peanut oil as a metal antirust treatment.

I'm guessing, put on a new exhaust system, drive it for a week or two burning off oils and labels and such.

Spray on the oil and drive it until it bakes on.
Very much like seasoning cast iron cooking pans.
Then after I cook on my exhaust, don't wash with soap, simply wipe it off with paper towels! Smile

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just call me mr. Google--bringing the info to you guys live--not even Memorex.

Depending on how screwed up the exhast system is--
I mean if the tubes are original, and have a week left of their lives, no I don't think the peanut oil tactic will make them brand new.

But if they are kinda stout, it'll prolong the exhaust systems longevity.

Spray?
Perhaps--I always wiped & baked.
Once a year is usually good.
Spraying is kinda sloppy--but go ahead and get the engine & all if you wish--
First time application?
Maybe twice is good for starters.

What brand of peanut oil?
Henna.
Henna thing you can find.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brushed peanut oil on a a few stock exhaust parts years ago right after the Grey coating burned off.
It has worked well to preserve the metal.

The smell after the first heat cycle was similar to walking past a Chick Fil A fast food joint Laughing

So, what is it in the peanut oil that is helping preserve metal?
Is it that this oil has a very high scalding temp?

It works far better than any 1200 degree header paint I have tried.
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
The GW stainless system is really good, but the RMW system is even better.
With the 2.3, I would go with the Corkin's designed system from RMW.

Make sure that you get the Cali approved CAT with whatever you decide upon.
Blue Bay Bus x-2 Yes with my 2.3 the RMW is the only way to go. Way better then the GW but at more cost. I put on a new stock system in 06 and it just about fell apart when we put the RMW one on. And this is in AZ , we don't have rust. More power and great sound. And they look great, and the last one I will have to ever buy! But I'm going to look into this oil thing.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mostly original exhaust, on my 1986 except the muffler and forward header pipe. the header pipe cracked the muffler got rusty, not bad for 180K miles and 25 years.

Aftermarket header fit worth shit, made in Denmark. returned it and bought a factory header, and it fit perfect.

liberal use of BBQ hi heat spray can paint helps keep exhaust looking good.

I wouldn't waste money on stainless exhaust if it cost a bunch more, for me, if the stock stuff lasts 25 years I will be ok with it.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: