Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

FK8 with 1.3 rockers
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
128vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: FK8 with 1.3 rockers Reply with quote

I started to build my 2334 about 6 years ago, bought most of the parts,. AJ Sims 041 heads ported, Fk8 cam. Got the case together, heads on and had major health problems. Just getting back to it now. I had bought ,a set of rockers that were supposed to be CB 1.4. Now when I check them they
only give a valve lift of .480 which is about only 1.3.

There are no markings on the rockers, the mounting hole is offset and the adjusters are on the push rod side. The standoffs are about .100 higher
than stock and the mounting studs are too short They look like the ones shown on CB's site.
How can I tell who made these? Will these rockers work with the FK8 cam?
Do I need to run valve caps? Are longer mounting studs available?
Thanks, Tom
fastfil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CB 1.3 rockers came with longer rocker studs. Removing the original studs from my new 044s was an absolute bitch fight though. Ended up welding up and down the old studs (what was left after snapping) to breakdown the thread locker. I'd love to know what they use.

Do some measuring and you should easily be able to work out their ratio.

I'd use lash caps on any motor with greater than stock valve lift.

1.3 rockers on an FK8? Depends on the application. Sure it will work, and it would have to prolong the life of your valve train. But, are you trying to get all the hp you can get out of your motor?
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can safely run smaller 1.1, 1.25, or 1.3 rockers on any cam ground for 1.4 or 1.5 rockers. You are in effect just making the cam smaller. You will wear stuff out quickly running 1.4 or 1.5 ratio rockers on a cam that was ground for 1.1 or 1.25 rockers.

I'm running CB 1.3 rockers on my 2165 with an FK-8 cam.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

studs stuck?? never seen that before most were loose or cam out oh so easy.I ran 1.25 on my fk8 in my 1874.ran great.
128vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To adjust rocker height with the CB rockers with the adjuster on the push rod end do you line up the push rod with the adjuster at half lift?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont. the cb's Ive used were very close out of the box, but that was on new heads.I removed about.040" from the rocker blocks to lower the rockers to get just what I wanted. I go off the foot print/contact patch.I would rather have the pushrod&adjuster inline lator in the lift cycle where theres more pressure.
filmfolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
You can safely run smaller 1.1, 1.25, or 1.3 rockers on any cam ground for 1.4 or 1.5 rockers. You are in effect just making the cam smaller. You will wear stuff out quickly running 1.4 or 1.5 ratio rockers on a cam that was ground for 1.1 or 1.25 rockers.

I'm running CB 1.3 rockers on my 2165 with an FK-8 cam.

Thanks Dave.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I dont. the cb's Ive used were very close out of the box, but that was on new heads.I removed about.040" from the rocker blocks to lower the rockers to get just what I wanted. I go off the foot print/contact patch.I would rather have the pushrod&adjuster inline lator in the lift cycle where theres more pressure.

A great point that many dont get.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
mark tucker wrote:

A great point that many dont get.

X3
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: FK8 with 1.3 rockers Reply with quote

I have talked about that point -in line adjuster vs. pushrod at full lift -for many years, and many thought I was crazy.

Slightly over at top of lift works too but not too much - a smidgin.

People be running half-inch lifts, good gracious! Laughing That is a lot of herky-jerky!

Yes - we could all use a more stout rocker studs. That is one spot we never got for years. The biggest bolts I have seen came from Pauter. Does any shop produce something similar now without breaking the bank?

Have not been posting in a while. Is Tucker and Modok behaving themselves?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: FK8 with 1.3 rockers Reply with quote

fk8 with 1.3 rockers
It's been done many times and mostly works good.

SCAT pro-comp or autocraft 1.25 rockers end up at a 1.3 approx ratio because they got the geometry slightly wrong. Or maybe even before that. In any case, it's always been that way, and still is.

There are 1.3 rockers (aftermarket with adjuster on pushrod)
and 1.2 rockers (stock style with pushrod hole moved),
1.25 rockers almost don't exist, but the new CB stock style ones are close, and you'd think that's a good thing but actually it isn't, because the pushrods end up fouling the tubes worse than ever, which is ironic.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: