Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

vent wings on my 50!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: vent wings on my 50! Reply with quote

The vent wings on my bus have been "SouthAmericanized". They work great ,a lot of air flow. But i don't think at it was done by VW. It is not very hot in Uruguay:
CLIMATE: Uruguay has a temperate climate characterized by warm summers and mild winters. Rainfall is fairly evenly distributed throughout the year with an average annual precipitation of 1,090 mm (36 inches). The coolest month is June and the warmest is January. The prevailing winds are the Zonda, a northerly hot wind that blows in summer and the Pampero, a cold southerly wind that blows in winter. Average temperature ranges in Montevideo are from 6 to 14 degrees Celsius (43 to 57 degrees Fahrenheit) in July to 17 to 28 degrees Celsius (63 to 82 degrees Fahrenheit) in January.

This is like mine , except the hinge has been moved to the other side of the window frame. Popping the window out in the front and not the rear. The latch is in the same spot. The rear pop-outs are also the same hinges, and they are all original to the bus.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
scvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you don't mind Bubba. I took this at the CTS show.

SOUTHERN INTEGRITY AIRCOOLERS

WTB - Sigla popout glass like in my ad.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1667775
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scvw wrote:
I hope you don't mind Bubba. I took this at the CTS show.
Thank you for the picture.
52panelvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sure you are right Bubba, i know pictures always make stuff look smoother and stuff but it looks though they have done a very neat job getting that hinge off (i would have guessed the frame would have to suffer). Is the rear hinge a vw looking one and what is the welding on it like, neat/spot welded or obviously swapped?

Im just curious as there seems to be a fair few of these cropping up in pics and stuff recently be great to find an original one (may be there is and i just missed it).

Incidently for what its worth i personally think the reason they go the crap other way round on a normal pre 52 is cos every bugger in the universe smoked in the 50's. It was a global national sport back then . Vw i dont think put an ash tray in till the deluxe came along so i recon thats why the useless vent windows came about. Smoke extraction and butt ditching without it coming back in, cos it works perfectly on both counts. I dont think they were designed as vents but extractors.

Cheers
Mark (ex smoker:-)
ratlookvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: looks like.... Reply with quote

looks like a redneck bird trap to me! Twisted Evil
57 Panel, 66 highroof panel, 65 Notch, 59 Vert, 61 Vert, 1969 Fridolin, 'Reggie ' 66 RV, 65 Pipe Truck, 65 RHD T-34, 70 dbl slider panel, 1969 Deep sea green sunroof automatic square, the greypoop-on, and a shit load of wheels!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ambu55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

52panelvan wrote:
Im sure you are right Bubba, i know pictures always make stuff look smoother and stuff but it looks though they have done a very neat job getting that hinge off (i would have guessed the frame would have to suffer). Is the rear hinge a vw looking one and what is the welding on it like, neat/spot welded or obviously swapped?

Im just curious as there seems to be a fair few of these cropping up in pics and stuff recently be great to find an original one (may be there is and i just missed it).

Incidently for what its worth i personally think the reason they go the crap other way round on a normal pre 52 is cos every bugger in the universe smoked in the 50's. It was a global national sport back then . Vw i dont think put an ash tray in till the deluxe came along so i recon thats why the useless vent windows came about. Smoke extraction and butt ditching without it coming back in, cos it works perfectly on both counts. I dont think they were designed as vents but extractors.

Cheers
Mark (ex smoker:-)

Mark, what you just mentioned might be a GOOD reason, but I think the MOST important one, is that these old, pre-53 models just don't really let the fresh air in...? I drove a '51 a long time ago, with the normal piano-hinge quarter windows, well, I must say it didn't really matter if they where opened or not! so the reversed ones must be MUCH BETTER for letting the fresh air in!

...so, Bubba's BD has them, and the old belgian one also had them, but that belgian one (see picture under this text) was used for trips in Africa, so also VERY WARM countries!! on some pics, you can also see the EXTRA ventilation they made in the front doorpanels !! this belgian bus was 'updated' for the hot temperatures!! ...and maybe, maybe also because of a smoking driver, as Mark said?? Very Happy

(...more pictures of this one in my Gallery, page 6 and 7)
52panelvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh im sort of saying that too ambu55 - that the "normal" way and they dont do sod all BUT If you blow cigarette smoke at them (as most of the worlds poplulation did in the 50's) it seems to extract it mostly out of the window very efficiently, if you want to stay cool then there is no point in opening them as they do bugger all at all.
Bubba's way provide alot of air for hot climates but i bet its a bit of a face full especially with the catch having one setting but if its very hot, humid who would mind.

Not to labour a point -one other reason i think the vent wings are the "normal" way on early vans and a by product of them removing smoke and cig buts so well is they help provide a negative air pressure in a panel van cab and may well help with dragging air forward from the piss poor heating system for windscreen clearing. Granted I may well be thinking about it too much now Smile.

I think that customer feedback and vw realising they could have both extraction or cooling by going for a centrally swivelling window so you could spin it round made it change. Its just a better idea, like alot of the changes you find on barndoors where if nothing else its just a better way of doing it.

Anyway thats only my thoughts on it, given the huge holes in my 51 the lack of air from the windows is the very least of my problems Laughing

Cheers

mark
scvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple pics of Bubbas pop out latches that someone mentioned. Again I hope you don't mind Bubba.

SOUTHERN INTEGRITY AIRCOOLERS

WTB - Sigla popout glass like in my ad.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1667775
Ed Economy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo Bubba,
You said your rear pop out latches are the same as your vent latches. I knew that the vent latches fit 50 -52. I once owned a 52 panel with no windows so this was new to me. I was sitting in a 52 kombi this week in Hawaii and it had the same vent latches as yours but the pop out latches were the early short fat latches very different than regular bus pop out latches, Later 52? I should have taken a picture. I just went thru some 1951 Barndoor literature and it shows the latches like yours Pop outs and vents are the same latch. so the question is, So what are these vent latches or pop out latches, which one is more rare Smile
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the rear pop out latches changed to this sort:

Some time early in 51

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ambu55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:
I think the rear pop out latches changed to this sort:

Some time early in 51

right Scotty!! they must have changed somewhere in 1951, I drove in a january '51 once (NOT mine !!!) and it had the old latches like Bubba's, but my old 15 window was a October '51, it had the latches you showed us now, only mine had white (elfenbeim) knobs as it was a deluxe...
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Economy wrote:
Yo Bubba,
You said your rear pop out latches are the same as your vent latches. I knew that the vent latches fit 50 -52. I once owned a 52 panel with no windows so this was new to me. I was sitting in a 52 kombi this week in Hawaii and it had the same vent latches as yours but the pop out latches were the early short fat latches very different than regular bus pop out latches, Later 52? I should have taken a picture. I just went thru some 1951 Barndoor literature and it shows the latches like yours Pop outs and vents are the same latch. so the question is, So what are these vent latches or pop out latches, which one is more rare Smile

Ed, I think the old latch is more rare, but less needed. They where used on the front vent wings thru 52 and it looks like they my have made a change when the deluxe bus was introduced? The latch that was on your old 15 window was made thru 54. I think they went to small spoons in late 54-55. I have picked up two latches for $30 each. They are not that expensive. Later barndoor ( that just sounds wrong) latches sell for @$125.00 a pair. They are in more demand with a very small supply.
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubba what makes you think yours are not from factory?
It may not be hot in Uruguay, but then why would a local do it?
These pictures are of a bus somewhere in europe (maybe someone can tell where). But i would guess it wasnt a particularly hot place either. Confused

bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowdown Dirty Rat wrote:
bubba what makes you think yours are not from factory?
It may not be hot in Uruguay, but then why would a local do it?
These pictures are of a bus somewhere in europe (maybe someone can tell where). But i would guess it wasnt a particularly hot place either. Confused

Man , that's cool. I never looked at those manuals that close. They look to be opening in the front to me. Now this to is a grey area!
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look another!
to many 50's to be just a coincidence?

Here is a speculative theory for you:
How about not long into the production of the type 2 vw realized the vents were useless (unless you smoke Wink ) and decided to flip them. But after receiving complaints that drivers were having their heads blown off or eating large amounts of animal life (at 40mph Confused ) they quickly flipped them back and started on a 2 year program for an improved design Very Happy

Of course the complaints might have equally have been that smokers had no where to put there butts or there cigarettes burnt out to quick. Smile
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the 1950 sales brochure. Notice that this is a Typ 29 with the vertical vents.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
From the 1950 sales brochure. Notice that this is a Typ 29 with the vertical vents.

Damn, my bus isn't that old. Very Happy Check out the rear cargo door latches. Now that is rare! Cool
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
Anchovy wrote:

Damn, my bus isn't that old. Very Happy Check out the rear cargo door latches. Now that is rare! Cool
also look at the crude wavey rocker lip.
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
bubba wrote:
Anchovy wrote:

also look at the crude wavey rocker lip.

Check the sectioned together roof.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:

Man this picture has so much cool stuff. im diggin the lack of jack points. hehe. and all the great stuff others have pointed out. that semaphore is a bit lazy too. hehe.

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: