Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How's the 4-prong Westy slider switch work?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: How's the 4-prong Westy slider switch work? Reply with quote

Hi Volks,

One of the interior lighting upgrades I would like to do is to add lights that will be switched on when the slider is opened. I know some vans had a dedicated switch on the slider that did that but mine does not. I do have a 4-pronged switch that I assume is only there to power the power door lock.

One of the 4 prongs doesn't have a wire going to it. I don't know much about automotive wiring or wire diagrams, plus my Bentley is on loan to a friend. Do any of you have some suggestions for how I can rig the OEM style (3 position) door lights to operate using this switch? What does each prong of the switch do? Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the campers are not wired with the switch so it doesn't drain your battery when camping. There was a VW switch that you could depress and disable the lights from coming on. I think maybe this was on second gen Golf trunk lights. Maybe this could be adapted.
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the switch you want to use.

i dont have a camper but i bet that yours has the hole and wire already hidden under the fabric covering that pillar. i believe it is just above or below that power door lock connection

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_927_147/interior-light-switch.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toomanyveedubs wrote:
this is the switch you want to use.

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_927_147/interior-light-switch.html

I saw one if these on EBay last week for $15 bucks. Shocked Rolling Eyes

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: