Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

003 Automatic Transmission Questions.
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: 003 Automatic Transmission Questions. Reply with quote

I am finally to the fine tuning aspect of my automatic. I have a few questions about the 2nd to 3rd shift.

What, mechanically, initiates the shift from 2nd to 3rd?

What I have right now is a inability to shift from 2nd to third without letting off of the gas fully. It will not shift to 3rd without it. I think that I have a seal leak or something that is not signaling the correct shifting point. I have had this issue with both 34ICT carbs and my current DRLA 40 carbs.

I am looking for pointers on things to check.

On another note, I was also having problems with it shifting from 1st to 2nd far to early, but I swapped the valve body from an extra automatic I had lying around and it helped. I nol onger have the 1st to 2nd issue, but the shift from 2nd to 3rd is still an issue.
My Old 70 Squareback
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to me this sounds like a leak within the Valve body, I hope its not the case for this one, but i've had this problem a couple of times with american transmissions.

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWporscheGT3 wrote:
to me this sounds like a leak within the Valve body, I hope its not the case for this one, but i've had this problem a couple of times with american transmissions.

I agree. I totally think it is a leak somewhere in the valve body. I'm just trying to narrow down where? What seal or piston initiates that shift.

One reason I think it is something beyond just the valve body itself is the fact that i have had the same issue with two different valve bodys. I just wish there was more information about these transmissions.
My Old 70 Squareback
bugguy076
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem is from running twin carbs. The vacuum is not high enough to to run the clutch canister unless you let the throttle plates close. It may work if you add a vacuum accumulator can with a check valve. Also, resizing the hoses might help. The hose from the accumulator to the clutch will be the same but the hoses from the intakes to the accumulator can should be smaller. I have no idea if this will work, but it's worth a try.
The check valve should be between intakes and accumulator.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugguy076 wrote:
I think the problem is from running twin carbs. The vacuum is not high enough to to run the clutch canister unless you let the throttle plates close. It may work if you add a vacuum accumulator can with a check valve. Also, resizing the hoses might help. The hose from the accumulator to the clutch will be the same but the hoses from the intakes to the accumulator can should be smaller. I have no idea if this will work, but it's worth a try.

Ding, ding! Also when you changed the valve body, did you change the governor? they are matched.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
bugguy076 wrote:

Ding, ding! Also when you changed the valve body, did you change the governor? they are matched.

Yes
My Old 70 Squareback
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has this trans been rebuilt or has it sat for a while? My wife had one several years ago that sat for quite a while, probably a year or more. It had shifting problems (had been converted from FI to a set of stock VW dual carbs). We bought some kind of Miracle cure in a bottle for automatic transmissions and poured it in and the problems cleared up after a bit of driving. Drove it for several years after that without any problems. Don't remember what we bought but it was probably something cheap from Wal-Mart. We also did a fluid & filter change but I think that was after the bottle of trans fix stuff had straightened out the shifting problem. Cool
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One4,

Sorry to hear that you are still having issues. Unless you have something really messed up in you carb setup, I seriously doubt that the dual carbs are your problem. My trans is a / was a 73 that came with FI. I have ran many different dual carb setups up to my T4 with ICTs and it never gave me grief. My first question for you would be have you ever done a pressure test with gauges on the trans?

In reality, I think that the best way to work through this is to PM me and get my personal info. Then we can talk on the phone and maybe find something that gets left out of the impersonal communication that happens on forums. I live in CA, so I think our time zones are close. Let me know.

David
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

PM Sent
My Old 70 Squareback
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam, if you have a way to measure manifold vacuum under driving conditions we can compare that to what I get through my stock FI manifolds. I'm thinking a vacuum gauge and a line long enough to reach the passenger seat.

Even with my slightly bigger 1776 and E100 it should still be an instructive comarison. We are at the same altitude.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
Adam, if you have a way to measure manifold vacuum under driving conditions we can compare that to what I get through my stock FI manifolds. I'm thinking a vacuum gauge and a line long enough to reach the passenger seat.

Max

I'll shoot you an email. I have some ideas.
My Old 70 Squareback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: