Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another RMW EJ22 Conversion... Questions
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Another RMW EJ22 Conversion... Questions Reply with quote

This is longgg overdue. We bought this 87 Weekender like 2 and a bit years ago, bought the RMW kit shortly after that as it was on sale, then life got in the way and we basically mothballed the whole mess until about two weeks ago.

Anyhow! Things are happening now:

Current state:
- The old WBX is out (broke a headstud two years ago, thus the reason for the conversion)
- RMW kit appears to be complete (no parts missing)
- Have EJ22 [Phase 1.5 Confused] (from wrecker), harness, MAF, etc...
- Harness is basically done [need to solder a few wires, finish wrapping]
- Engine bay is clean
Update 5/18/14
- Carrier and mounting brackets installed
- Engine installed
- Coolant mount bracket installed
- Cooling hoses mostly installed
- Exhaust headers installed

Questions

Motor mount bracket bolts?

I know the three 3 bolt holes that you have to drill for the RMW mount brackets are "close" to the edge of the frame rail / impact beam, but mine are seriously close. The "lip" of the beam is two layers of steel, the upper piece is wider than the lower piece.

I haven't drilled the holes yet, but just dry fitting the bracket, all three holes appear to fall on the edge of the first layer of steel. In other words, when I drill the hole(s), i'm drilling through the edge of the first layer of steel (making a crescent moon shape) before going into the second layer... Is this typical? Anyone else have pictures of theirs?

Answer: I ground the corner of the brackets on both sides to allow a closer fit. Hit it with some paint and good to go.

Motor mount bracket installation order?

Did you guys follow the RMW directions to lift the motor into position BEFORE drilling the holes and bolting the mounts down? Seems like it would be easier to put the mounts in (using the two existing holes on either side), bolt in the carrier bar (sans engine), drill the holes - but I'm wondering if the bar needs "preload" weight of the engine to properly locate the motor mount brackets?

Answer: I ended up following the instructions, once you've got the engine and trans mated and supported, it's not really in the way.

Coolant temp sensor (Subaru) harness length?

I'm using the reverse coolant manifold, so the Subaru (Brown, 2 wire) coolant temp sensor is located on the opposite side end now, and the harness isn't long enough to reach. Did you guys extend those two wires?

Many more to come, I'm sure... Thanks!

Last edited by iliketowalk on Sun May 18, 2014 9:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
zipster48
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great you are doing this, you will love the results and feel a sense of satisfaction at doing it yourself...but I would recommend just giving RMW a call with any questions, they are very helpful and supportive of their customers - they know their products better than anyone. Best of luck!
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=510581&highlight=rmw+conversion

here is a link to my RMW conversion, mine were tight too but maybe better than yours, you could always drill a couple new holes in the mount further into the interior of that lip, or grind a bit off the mount so it fits in tighter.
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine is in! Well... It's attached to the transmission and hanging ready to install the carrier bar once I figure out what to do about the mounts and edge bolts.

Having a hoist would've been awesome, but it's definitely doable with just a floor jack, 2x4 and straps.

@tschroeder0 - Going to have a read through of your thread, many thanks!

@zipster48 - Yeah definitely will contact RMW, I really wanted to continue moving forward on stuff this weekend though. Very Happy

Last edited by iliketowalk on Sat May 10, 2014 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
AKWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great. I finished up my EJ22 this winter. I used a small car kit. My holes were close to the edge of my flange also. I was able to get a full hole in each. With the steel plate that lays ontop of the flange, your weight is distributed. It does sound like your holes are to close to the edge with only getting a crescent of drilling surface. Do you have the steel to drill new holes? Short of a new cross bar I am not sure what else you can do.
215/70-16's

www.CatchTheKraken.com

"Never go to Alaska as a young man because you'll never be satisfied with any other place as long as you live." -John Muir
AKWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW If you haven't looked into it already you should think about having Tom Shiels test your harness on his engine stand. I had him wire in my check engine light and head off some trouble codes. Money well spent. I ended up having a knock sensor code when I started it up and replacing it made a big difference.
215/70-16's

www.CatchTheKraken.com

"Never go to Alaska as a young man because you'll never be satisfied with any other place as long as you live." -John Muir
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tschroeder0 wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=510581&highlight=rmw+conversion

here is a link to my RMW conversion, mine were tight too but maybe better than yours, you could always drill a couple new holes in the mount further into the interior of that lip, or grind a bit off the mount so it fits in tighter.

Was going to send you a PM, but this might be really useful for others if you don't mind a ton of questions!

The brown coolant sensor on the reverse manifold doesn't reach the plug anymore on the Subaru harness - did you lengthen the wires?

Are you running both oxygen sensors, or just one? Did you get the Subaru ones or splice in the universal Bosch sensor(s)?

What [sparks] plugs are you running?

How did you wire your coolant bottle sensor and your fuel pump power? Did you butcher your stock harness to make it plug and play, or cut and solder?

Where did you route the purple vacuum line? I know the white one goes to the bottom of the 3 hard lines coming off the intake manifold. I have a T between the intake manifold and the FPR that doesn't have anything connected and thought I could use that?

There are two connectors on the MAF branch of the harness - it looks like you just zip-tied those off?

What vehicle speed sensor are you using?
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-yes just lengthen the wires.

I am running both o2 sensors, they are the stock suby one's, I have subarupair nearby so I can get used stock parts very cheap.

I always run NGK's

coolant bottle sensor, again, just lengthen it to fit, you should not need to modify the fuel pump...stock vanagon, same wires, location.

I will get back to you on the purple line, not sure right now.

-In my original post, yes, I did zip tie those wires off near the MAF. The are actually for an ambient air pressure sensor (I think) I found one and hooked it up, not sure if it did much, but it turned off a code.

I am using the all digital speed sensor, I got it from enginewiring.com

another last fyi- one of my biggest issues was a strange loss of power at times after warm up, felt like a timing issue...after a lot of work it turned out to be the knock sensor, that simple little gizmo can cause a lot of headaches, carry a spare that is known to be good.

I hope this helps!
thanks
todd
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd

I to bought a VSS from Enginewiring.com all it did was make the engine surge in about 500 RPM swings. I ended using a GW VSS and it seemed to do the trick.
Interested in where you have yours mounted and if you've had any issues with it ?
I have tried to contact The guy and have had no reply. It was cheap enough ,but I was looking for better results .
I am running a 90 2.2 in a 87 Syncro Westy. Besides doing a Westy conversion to a Tin Top the Subaru is my second favorite mod .

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, that is interesting. I have a mildly hunting idle too?

I have mine "mounted" in the engine compartment in the J box, it is just connected to the proper wires.
coclimber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Another RMW EJ22 Conversion... Questions Reply with quote

iliketowalk wrote:

Coolant temp sensor (Subaru) harness length?

I'm using the reverse coolant manifold, so the Subaru (Brown, 2 wire) coolant temp sensor is located on the opposite side end now, and the harness isn't long enough to reach. Did you guys extend those two wires?

Yes...
http://westycamper.blogspot.com/2014/01/subaru-intake-manifold-installed.html
Rocky Mountain Westy kit
coclimber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iliketowalk wrote:

Are you running both oxygen sensors, or just one? Did you get the Subaru ones or splice in the universal Bosch sensor(s)?

I lengthened mine to go direct and used any old Subaru sensor for your year. Don't do universal.

iliketowalk wrote:

How did you wire your coolant bottle sensor and your fuel pump power? Did you butcher your stock harness to make it plug and play, or cut and solder?

I lengthened my original Subaru/Vanagon harness and re-assembled it to fit in the passenger tail light of the engine bay. In the end it was completely plug-n-play like a nice Vanaru harness would be. I describe my reasoning on this blog post: http://westycamper.blogspot.com/2014/04/subaru-ecu-placement-rear-passenger.html

Link

iliketowalk wrote:
What vehicle speed sensor are you using?

FastForward digital, speedo-based VSS. It works well, but you need to run the VSS signal under your van to get back to the engine bay then. Its not for everyone, but I wanted a VSS signal up front anyway for my Subaru cruise control brain to use, so what the heck! Smile
Rocky Mountain Westy kit
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subaru coolant temp sensor (brown 2 pin - engine harness) wires lengthened.

I decided to hack up my VW harness to make the Subaru harness essentially plug and play... We'll see if that was a big mistake later...

Using the stock plastic coolant pipes as they're in good shape, found some 1.5" hoses at NAPA that have a slight bend and should work a treat.

Also found a 5/8" hose with a 90* bend from the coolant bottle to the nipple on the reversed coolant manifold instead of having to bend the 5/8" straight heater hose to the point where is slightly collapsing.

Now I have to find some oem(ish) Subaru O2 sensors that aren't going to cost a fortune...
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found some O2 sensors at RockAuto...

Fired it up a few days ago, it runs! [After I had to pull and strip part of the harness because I wired to the wrong ignition + wire in the middle of the harness.] Sad

Can anyone tell me about how they wired the alternator?

The Subaru has the rectangle plug (2 terminals) one white wire, one black (small), and a post with two heavy white wires.

The van has the blue wire and the two red wires (joined). So do I splice the red (from van) with the two white (Subaru post), and the blue wire (from van) to the black wire (terminal)? What about the other white wire?
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iliketowalk wrote:

The Subaru has the rectangle plug (2 terminals) one white wire, one black (small), and a post with two heavy white wires.

The van has the blue wire and the two red wires (joined). So do I splice the red (from van) with the two white (Subaru post), and the blue wire (from van) to the black wire (terminal)? What about the other white wire?

Answered my own question.

The square plug has the larger white wire, and smaller black wire. The smaller black wire wires to the Vanagon blue wire (idiot light). The white wire gets wired to the post on the alternator. Without the larger white wire the alternator was putting out 16-16.5 volts, with it, it's putting out 14.5-15v.

I also plugged the ammeter inline of the white wire as some suggested it gets wired to ignition, but there is 0 current draw. The smaller black wire was drawing a few amperes.

Been running it for about a week including a few longer drives and all seems good.
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iliketowalk wrote:
iliketowalk wrote:

Answered my own question.

The square plug has the larger white wire, and smaller black wire. The smaller black wire wires to the Vanagon blue wire (idiot light). The white wire gets wired to the post on the alternator. Without the larger white wire the alternator was putting out 16-16.5 volts, with it, it's putting out 14.5-15v.

I also plugged the ammeter inline of the white wire as some suggested it gets wired to ignition, but there is 0 current draw. The smaller black wire was drawing a few amperes.

Been running it for about a week including a few longer drives and all seems good.

Actually, your wiring of the single white wire is incorrect. That is the SENSE wire and controls the voltage at the alternator to account for the loss in the wiring to the battery. In a perfect world, that wire should go direct to the battery positive terminal, or in a Vanagon, going to the positive stud in the black box works good, or also the stud on the starter.
Here is a great link, it is for Toyota alternators, but the alternators are both manufactured by Mitsubishi, and both use a sense wire.

http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/page/39441708/Toyota%20Alternators#AlternatorRegulatorSTerminal

Ignore the IGN. wire setup, as that is not used on our alternators, only in Toyota. The SENSE wire write up is dead on, though.

Hope this helps!
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense. Laughing

Further confirming my lack of knowledge in charging systems, but: with that, do some recommend taking it to the ignition (key on) wire because it has a longer path to the battery and probably more closely represents the voltage at the battery? I.e. The stud on starter and the stud in the junction box (by way of starter) are connected to the alternator with less than 3 ft between them, there isn't going to be a huge voltage drop between the stud on the alternator and the stud on the starter is there?

I might go check later... It's 109f outside.

Edit: Picture from the excellent article that was posted

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So I basically hooked it up like the first example. I'm curious about what I'm getting at the battery itself... Will report back.
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The purpose of this SENSE wire is to provide the exact correct voltage to the battery, and I the Subaru originally it doesn't go far, just to the engine fuse panel where the charge wires dead end. I probably would run it to the jct. box in the engine compartment, as there are a bunch of 12v connections on that stud.

That being said...technically it should go to the battery positive, but I feel you will se an appropriate measure from the black box. either way you will be better off than the way it is wired now, as there is no adjust whatsoever. Idea
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: