Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice/Help
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fsf1o1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Advice/Help Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

I just wanted your opinion from some of my samba friends. I have always wanted a vanagon Westie for a very long time but reliablity has always been a problem with these vehicles. The reason why I ask is because i am coming into some money real soon and am testing my options I am thinking about going the bostig route. I dont know if I want to do the work myself or just buy one thats already has it installed. Im going to need a daily driver and something tahts reliable what you guys think

Cheers
Chris
AKWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I would like to just buy what I want, it seems I have to build my Westy as I go. I curse a lot but I can tell you that when something goes wrong, I have a ever growing working knowledge of my van. Reliability is a fickle bitch. All vehicles are reliable until they leave you walking. Its what you do when that happens. Today I replaced my headlight switch because last week I found myself driving home in the dark......with no lights in the dark.

If you are looking to buy in, you can buy a prebuilt van and pay the money. Along the way you will need a trustworthy mechanic for maintenance if you do not plan to turn your own wrenches. Less time in your life and more money.

I have more time and less money. I have built my van slowly and as stated. I completed my engine, and suspension swap this winter. It sucked many days but I have a thorough working knowledge of my van and am able to turn my own wrenches confidently. When that fails there are always guys here to help me out.
215/70-16's

www.CatchTheKraken.com

"Never go to Alaska as a young man because you'll never be satisfied with any other place as long as you live." -John Muir
fsf1o1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I understand Im just so torn on what to do.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How soon do you need a daily driver? Do you have wheels now?

What is your time frame for doing the conversion and do you have a place to do it?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your budget? Any vehicle that is 25 years old is going to need a lot of work to be 'reliable'. If you have $20k or more then you can get it 'reliable' but you still need to understand that cr@p will happen and you'll need to rent a car for a few days while it gets fixed.... YMMV. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
fsf1o1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roughly 20-25 k me and my wife are sharing a vehicle at the moment but I can hold out for a while if I need to.
Alex Proulx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reliability is directly linked to your maintenance program. The more planned maintenance you do the less un-planned (break down) you will do. The 5-6 years new car honey moon period where nothing breaks is long gone on Vanagons. On top of regular services, complete systems will need replacement over the years because they have reached the end of their service life. For the same reason 50 years old planes are still reliably flying today, its all about the maintenance program.
That maintenance has a cost, some say 2-3k per year on average, thats about right for me. The more you will do yourself, the less it will be. Thanks to many great vendors like GW, VC and BD, parts are not so expensive and no so difficult to get but it will always be more involved than your typical american car.
At the end of the day it is a really cool and practical car and a great hobby but maybe not for everyone, it is best to know what you are getting into before hand.
Alex
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 20 grand you will be hard pressed to find a well done conversion with overall reliability items already done.

Engine swap itself runs almost 10!

You can get something decent that you can work with, but not turn key.

There are of course exceptions, death, "fire" sales, etc.
More the exception than the norm though.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captjon1959
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 84 Westy and worked to keep my waterboxer running. I enjoyed the challenge, but it also added a lot of drama and anxiety to our family vacations. Then in the same year my daughter came down with leukemia and my engine began to show signs of impending doom. I could no longer afford the uncertainty when we travelled.

I opted for the Bostig. It accomplished exactly what I was looking for, reliability (at least for the engine). I also rebuilt the front end and had the transmission rebuilt.

If you decide to do a conversion check out Bostig and I would encourage you to do it yourself. You will learn a lot and gain confidence in working on your van. In addition, if the engine dies you can buy another one and swap it in for under $500... cheaper than what you'd pay some mechanic for a basic repair.
fsf1o1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea would you guys say a bay window would be easier to work on? would i get more for my money?
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fsf1o1 wrote:
Yea would you guys say a bay window would be easier to work on? would i get more for my money?

I am unsure why you want this vehicle / how you will use it. Sounds like you want a reliable daily driver -- if your plans do not include long roadtrips, climbing mountain passes or camping and air conditioning is not a priority then yeah, an earlier bus may suit you.

Having never owned a bay window I can only speculate based on what I have heard here -- but it seems they may be easier to work as the technology is more 'old school' (depending on how early you go) but on the other hand -- the Vanagon & WBX are still pretty simple compared to modern vehicles.
fsf1o1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea im just looking for a nice DD may do alittle camping but not much but highways and country roads will all the van will see.
jobenaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Am a new lurker here and a few years ago found myself in the same situation as you. I debated between doing a subaru converions and Bostig, and finally decided on Bostig. Not being a mechanic the wiring and incredible amount of tubes and bells on the subie engine scared me. I can say I've been very happy with my decision....30K and zero engine related problems. And as AKwesty mentioned you become very inimate with your van after spending some quality time laying under it with dirt falling in your eyes and a mixture of antifeeze, gasoline and oil soaking through your pants Smile I now am not afraid to go in the engine compartment or crawl underneath and touch stuff.....which is a must if you own one of these beasts as stuff will happen. If I have any complaint it would be that you have to be careful to stay out of the ruts if you offroad because of a bit of decreased clearance, but in general that's a non issue. I should mention that I bought in during the development stage so still have the tube carrier and no high volume oil pan which would gain another inch or so and be plenty for most offroading. ( I'm hoping that by all the high marks I give Bostig they will one day feel sorry for me and send me a free upgrade to those 2 items Smile ) Anyway....go for it and do it yourself whichever you decide. You will be much happier with your van. Oh and you're vocabulary will increase along the way as well. Some for the good and some for the bad.
fsf1o1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jobenaus wrote:
Hi, Am a new lurker here and a few years ago found myself in the same situation as you. I debated between doing a subaru converions and Bostig, and finally decided on Bostig. Not being a mechanic the wiring and incredible amount of tubes and bells on the subie engine scared me. I can say I've been very happy with my decision....30K and zero engine related problems. And as AKwesty mentioned you become very inimate with your van after spending some quality time laying under it with dirt falling in your eyes and a mixture of antifeeze, gasoline and oil soaking through your pants Smile I now am not afraid to go in the engine compartment or crawl underneath and touch stuff.....which is a must if you own one of these beasts as stuff will happen. If I have any complaint it would be that you have to be careful to stay out of the ruts if you offroad because of a bit of decreased clearance, but in general that's a non issue. I should mention that I bought in during the development stage so still have the tube carrier and no high volume oil pan which would gain another inch or so and be plenty for most offroading. ( I'm hoping that by all the high marks I give Bostig they will one day feel sorry for me and send me a free upgrade to those 2 items Smile ) Anyway....go for it and do it yourself whichever you decide. You will be much happier with your van. Oh and you're vocabulary will increase along the way as well. Some for the good and some for the bad.

Thanks man Im really going to pray about it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: