Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas Smell when heater is on
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IoWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Gas Smell when heater is on Reply with quote

I have previously posed about the gasoline smell produced by my 91 Westy. Now that the weather is getting warmer, I have been driving without the heater turned on. The smell was not nearly as noticeable when I did this. Last weekend, we had a snap of cold weather and I turned the heater back on. Low and behold, the gasoline smell returned. I also noticed that there was more exhaust smoke coming from the tailpipe while waiting in line a the DQ drive through (I know, it was cold. Why was I getting a Choco Cherrry Love Blizzard?).

What gives? Why do I smell gasoline and a rich running engine when the heater is turned up?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the smell from running rich or does it smell like raw gas from a leak of the tank or fuel lines? Do you smell it at the front wheel wells, the tailpipe, the engine bay? My guess is that you have a gas tank that is leaking from old grommets so you get the smell when the heater fan is on and pulling in air from the outside.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2 on a tank reseal.

Check all fuel lines, connections, filter, pump and breather tanks.

If the 91 parts are all original, it's time for a complete fuel system rehab Exclamation

There are a few threads that start with questions like yours and end with fires.
Yes, I am trying to scare you, but in a helpful way.

The number one statement made about VW Vanagons....change your fuel lines.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: