Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 Bug build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony S.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Bug build Reply with quote

Beautiful car and a well deserved magazine feature. Congrats!!
samstheman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Bug build Reply with quote

Nice Job I like the grey red combo.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Bug build Reply with quote

VERY nice car and congrats on the magazine spread. Just happened to have that issue sitting beside the computer. So - how many extra issues did you get? I got 12 Laughing and their matted and framed article is really nice - get one.

But I curse you.... Laughing I have a 66 that I was planning a simple and inexpensive build for a change, and now I am having second thoughts. Was going to do my first stock headliner and if I screwed up some, it wouldnt matter since the car was going to be a little ratty. Was planing to keep the original medium blue paint with its patina...and stock style wheels. But I REALLY love the CIP Super Speed wheels which are a knock off of yours and I loved what you did with the headliner, meaning I would have to repaint the car..... Crying or Very sad

Oh well..... But back to you. Great work. Your car is perfect.....I see a lot of cars that are "really nice, but". No "buts" on yours. Applause
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2000typer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Bug build Reply with quote

So far I've only been able to get 4 copies of the magazine. I'm not sure how many more I'll pick up. Who am I kidding, as many as I can find.
I've had more fun with my bug then I would have ever imagined. Getting in the magazine tops off a pretty cool year.
I had never drag raced until 2 years ago. We had a VW car show/drag race in May at Champion Raceway, Southern Oregon. I was lucky enough to win the race with a 15 car field. I went on to win the VW point series championship. It was the first time our track put on a VW series.
Dave Cormack saw my car at the May car show and asked if he could take pictures and send them to Dean K. at Hot VWs. I never thought it would become a feature, but it did. What a great year for my 66 bug.
My 66 bug build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=594924
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Bug build Reply with quote

Call Hot VWs - They can hook you up with extra copies. And I totally understand how you feel Laughing You build the car for yourself and when you discover how much other folks like it, its icing on the cake.

Showed my wife your feature - she likes it as well....and we are both now agonizing over the different direction we may take with the car.....All your fault.... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2000typer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Bug build Reply with quote

Thank for the comments.
Last year I was going to install 1.25 rockers before the last race. Im glad I didn't. After doing some research it seems that with a Engle 120 cam you should run dual valve springs.
I decided Instead of reworking my heads I would just get new ones and do some other upgrades as well. So my engine specs are:
2275cc
Steve Tims stage 2 heads 42x37
Engle 120 cam
CB 1.25 rockers
9.5:1 CR
dual Weber 44idf's with match ported manifolds
CB magnaspark dist. & coil
1 5/8" A-1 sidewinder exhaust
Daikin clutch
13 lb flywheel
I will post a time slip in a few months. Anybody want to guess on hp? I have no idea. I'm hoping for 160hp. I drove it for the first time tonight (with the upgraded engine) it feels like a different car. Quite a bit quicker then before.

I was never really happy with the silver engine tin. I went with a cleaner, less flashy look this time.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My 66 bug build
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Bug build Reply with quote

Something that I can't stress enough when doing a serious bit of engine work is to try to find a chassis dyno and use it to dial it in. Even if you dont have the time and such to do the actually tuning there, you will have a real good idea what you need to do.

You have a lot of raw grunt from what you have, just because of the size, but tweaking the jetting and timing on a dyno makes life SO much easier and the power/drivability gains can be impressive. We dialed in a buddy's 1776 with dual Kads that he felt was running pretty well, and we picked up 15 HP primarily from jetting.
2000typer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Bug build Reply with quote

Unfortunately I don't know of a chassis dyno anywhere close to Southern Oregon. I do know several local guys that are pretty good at tuning. I am learning as I go.
My 66 bug build
2000typer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Bug build Reply with quote

After doing a lot of reading I've decided to install a air/fuel ratio gage and sensor. I chose the Innovate MTX-L. I didn't want to install it below the dash and it wouldn't fit in my 3 gage mount. I installed it in the glove box. I made a fiberglass panel and painted it to match the glove box. Now I'm just waiting for nice weather to start tuning.

My 66 bug build
2000typer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Bug build Reply with quote

Our local drag strip opened up for the season on April 2nd. I was able to make a couple of passes. I'm getting a lot of tire spin. I'm playing with tire pressures so I might get it to hook up. The next step is slicks but I'm not ready to put those on yet. I want to build a stronger tranny and install race axles. Here's a time slip with tire spin off the line and again when I shifted into 2nd. Last year my 60 ft time was 1.9-2.0's. When I get the traction problem figured out I might get into the 13's.

My 66 bug build
2000typer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Bug build Reply with quote

I was having trouble keeping my carbs sync'ed. I decided to install the SyncLink throttle setup. Man, what an awesome linkage. Easy to install and keeps carbs in sync throughout the throttle range.

I went to the track on May 14th and ran a 14.09 at 94 mph. I forgot to take my spare tire out. I'm going to run again on June 3rd. Hopefully I will get in the 13's.
My 66 bug build
2000typer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Bug build Reply with quote

It's been a while since I've updated what I've done with my bug. Last year I was getting pretty close to running in the 13's.
Over the winter I put in a new transmission with close ratio gears. 3.78 1st, 2.06 2nd, 1.48 3rd and a 1.04 4th. Plus I upgraded the engine. I went with a 84mm crank, Pauter 1.3:1 rockers, SLR 310 cam, 48idf's and upped the compression to 10.0:1.
So far my quickest run is 13.39. I did run 102.5 mph on a different run though. The problem I have is traction. My street tires require a pretty gentle launch. Last week I put on M&H Racemaster DOT slicks. I'm racing tomorrow and hopefully I'll lower my 60ft time from 2.0's to 1.8's or lower.
I'm having quite a bit of fun with this car.

My 66 bug build
2000typer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Bug build Reply with quote

Going to be in the 12's this year, I hope.

2332cc
CB Performance aluminum super case
Scat 84mm crank
Wiseco 94mm pistons
Mahle race ready cylinders
SLR EXR310 cam
SLR lifters
Manton .058" chromoly pushrods
46x37 CB Ultra Wedgports
Pauter 1.4 rockers
JayCee 51.5mm IDA's
CB Magnaspark digital distributor
DPR 12lb flywheel
A-1 1 3/4" Sidewinder exhaust
10.8:1 CR

My 66 bug build
aaronr25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Bug build Reply with quote

Nice build man. I dig the wheels.

Life's too short to drive a stock VW
2000typer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Bug build Reply with quote

I finally did it. Definitely a 12 second street car. Just a little more fine tuning on two step rpm and tire pressure but I’m done with engine upgrades. Time to just have fun with my car and continue to work on my oval.

My 66 bug build
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Bug build Reply with quote

Sweet. That's a great ET for a street car. Did you remeber to take the spare tire out of the trunk? Laughing
I talked to you (briefly) last weekend at Woodburn while in the staging lanes. I commented on the screaming red interior.

Guy's if you have the opportunity to see this car in person. You'll be blown away by the beautiful fit and finish.

2000typer wrote:
I finally did it. Definitely a 12 second street car. Just a little more fine tuning on two step rpm and tire pressure but I’m done with engine upgrades. Time to just have fun with my car and continue to work on my oval.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
2000typer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Bug build Reply with quote

Thank you very much. Always a great time at the Woodburn Bug Run. Yes, I remembered to take out the spare tire this time. Haha
My 66 bug build
Grego in Sac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Bug build Reply with quote

Great looking car and love the progression of the engine upgrades, finally a 12 second car!

What size steering wheel did you go with?
2000typer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Bug build Reply with quote

Thanks. It’s definitely been fun. The wheel is 360mm
My 66 bug build
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Bug build Reply with quote

2000typer wrote:
My car is featured in February 2016 issue of Hot VWs. Man, talk about cool. Thanks to Hot VWs and Dave Cormack.

I will never forget the first time I saw that car at the Medford, OR Racetrack..I looked it over, and knew it would make for a great feature car in the magazine, nice, tasteful changes from the "Cookie Cutter Cal-Look", and the build quality was exceptional throughout.. I made a note to find the owner, and went on through the car show...20-30 minutes later, I came back to the spot and....no car. I asked around, and a guy told me "he went up to the staging lanes, he's gonna race it"...... he gonna do WHAT??? Not only did he race it, he hammered on that car, driving it like he stole it

Shooting that car was a most enjoyable day, pleasure to meet and talk with you, Paul.. \X/

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: