Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Do I have the right oil relief piston ?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Do I have the right oil relief piston ? Reply with quote

I was changing my oil control piston and spring and oil relief piston and a m not sure if I am using the right parts.

I have a 5 year old dual relief case 2054 with about 20 k on it
I bought stock replacement pistons and springs for dual relief cases. From aircooled. The new relief spring is about a 1/4" longer than my old one and the control spring is about 1/8 longer AND the relief piston that came out is a solid one and the new one is grooved.

To confuse things more when I searched the subject I found different opinions on if the grooved piston was to be used in a new dual relief case " didn't really find a conclusion or consensus.

My start up pressure is definitely higher and warm up pressure seemed to be good at idle about 10 lbs. having some other issue with my gauges so I didn't monitor the pressure on my test drive today

My reason for replacing is low pressure when hot and a tendency to get hot just wanted to make sure I got the right parts in there
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Do I have the right oil relief piston ? Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:
I was changing my oil control piston and spring and oil relief piston and a m not sure if I am using the right parts.

I have a 5 year old dual relief case 2054 with about 20 k on it
I bought stock replacement pistons and springs for dual relief cases. From aircooled. The new relief spring is about a 1/4" longer than my old one and the control spring is about 1/8 longer AND the relief piston that came out is a solid one and the new one is grooved.

To confuse things more when I searched the subject I found different opinions on if the grooved piston was to be used in a new dual relief case " didn't really find a conclusion or consensus.

My start up pressure is definitely higher and warm up pressure seemed to be good at idle about 10 lbs. having some other issue with my gauges so I didn't monitor the pressure on my test drive today

My reason for replacing is low pressure when hot and a tendency to get hot just wanted to make sure I got the right parts in there

I did a month long study of oil pressure readings with different pistons and springs. My conclusion was that there are at least 10 different combination's that you can use that will work. My opinion would be to reassemble it with the same type of springs and pistons that came with it.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stick them in they will work just fine.
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what the guys are saying is that if it is working you don't have a problem. I believe the ones aircooled sell are correct anyway - new springs will always be a little longer as they haven't got tired and lost pressure yet. The grooved piston was added later in the engine life, but I've never seen an explanation why that makes sense. Usually people say it is to allow oil to flow into the galley when cold, but I can't see where the circuit is. It works OK in any case.
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. i'm going with the new stuff . I'll monitor the change it made when i get my gauges back working.
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after driving a little more and getting my gauge working.

My cold pressure is over 60 lbs and goes towards 80 and I'm worried I'm gonna rev it up cold and blow the oil cooler or make a leak , more than it already does .

At about 140 degrees the pressure starts to drop to 10-20lbs at 900 rpm up to 30-35lbs at 3k rpm

When I start climbing past 190 degrees it will get up to 30lbs at 3k rpms and at idle , pressure drops real low and the light starts to flicker . I know all the discussions about this seem to imply its fine as long as I have pressure when the rpms come up. It just worries me to see my oil light flashing on.

Any way , I want to lower my cold pressure down . Should I change back both the springs and pistons or just one set . ?
Do I have to drain the oil to replace these?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:
So after driving a little more and getting my gauge working.

My cold pressure is over 60 lbs and goes towards 80 and I'm worried I'm gonna rev it up cold and blow the oil cooler or make a leak , more than it already does .

At about 140 degrees the pressure starts to drop to 10-20lbs at 900 rpm up to 30-35lbs at 3k rpm

When I start climbing past 190 degrees it will get up to 30lbs at 3k rpms and at idle , pressure drops real low and the light starts to flicker . I know all the discussions about this seem to imply its fine as long as I have pressure when the rpms come up. It just worries me to see my oil light flashing on.

Any way , I want to lower my cold pressure down . Should I change back both the springs and pistons or just one set . ?
Do I have to drain the oil to replace these?

Just put back in what worked before and you won't have any problems.

www.mofoco.com

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
midtravelmidengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What weight oil are you using?

youngnstudly wrote:
I just wasn't sure if I should recommend the 1/3 race cam, the 1/2 race cam, or the 5/8 race cam instead...guess it depends on how much of the race he wants to lead???
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

springs will not raise low rpm hot low pressure.none zilch nada. did you check the piston dia? bugpoop had a batch of undersized kits out there.and they will lower the idle pressure. you may also have other issues going on. If oil pressure changes it's usualy a sine of something. I dont use the still spring in the cooler relief ,just the oe soft spring(pully end) this may/should lower your cold pressure and let the oil get warmer sooner.I wish that piston was 1/4" longer as it has that big oil gally in the side of it and can wear the bore more with short piston especialy when somebody that dosent know what there doing pulls that plug&taps it for a screw in plug.there is no need to ever pull the oe plug there.
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

midtravelmidengine wrote:
What weight oil are you using?

30 weight brad penn

i'll put the old ones back in.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what oil pressure switch are you using? Stock or a 2 pole VDO sender?

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
what oil pressure switch are you using? Stock or a 2 pole VDO sender?

2 pole vdo .
I question the sender a little bit. I understood the warning light comes on at about 7 lbs instead of 3-5 as the stock does. So originally the warning light came on when the gauge read just below 10 lbs. now the warning light doesn't come on until the gauge is well below 10lbs...... Near zero on the gauge.

Do I have to drain the oil to replace the springs?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd change to 10-40 oil and run it. Those gauges are not accurate below 10psi, it's just a reference. You aren't going to get top dollar results with a $40 gauge.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: relief valves Reply with quote

I've dismantled many dual-relief cases since the 70's and every one came from Germany with two solid relief valves. Everybody else I've discussed this with, also has seen the same consistency.

AFAIK, the grooved valve is from the 1500S engine, and was never used in a Beetle.

Not sure why the replacement kits are coming with the grooved valve...

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: relief valves Reply with quote

neil68 wrote:

Because they are better for cooling, but not to be used in areas that get much lower than 70 F weather.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: relief valves Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
neil68 wrote:

Because they are better for cooling, but not to be used in areas that get much lower than 70 F weather.

They are not "better for cooling", when used in a dual-relief case. The grooved pistons that VW put in some late single-relief
cases depended for their operation on the existence of a bleed port in the case that allowed oil from the main gallery to
pass thru the groove in the piston, thru the bleed port, and into the sump, thereby increasing the flow thru the oil cooler and
reducing temps somewhat. That port does not exist on a (stock) dual-relief case. Therefore, the groove in the piston is completely useless in that application. But then the grooved piston is longer than the stock one, which has the effect of increasing the
spring pressure on the piston, so the oil cooler will not be bypassed until a greater pressure is put out. I suppose that might
result in increased oil cooling (as well as creating higher-than-designed stress on the oil cooler), but the same thing could be achieved by using a longer/stronger/shimmed spring. There might be some point in using a grooved piston if the bleed
port is also drilled out at the appropriate place.

Also of note is the fact than many of these oil piston/spring kits are including a "grooved" piston with an angled bottom
groove surface, unlike the straight grooved pistons VW put in some single-relief Type 3 engines. I seem to have seen
pistons like that being used in some Type 4 engines. I can only guess that they are being used in the kits because China is turning
them out dirt-cheap.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: relief valves Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
neil68 wrote:

Only if you use yellow spark plug wires Rolling Eyes

www.mofoco.com

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: relief valves Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

Only if you use yellow spark plug wires Rolling Eyes

VW 1500 Workshop Manual, section M-8, page 4.
Quote:

"From August 1966,Chassi No. 317016204 (Engine No. K 0072215), the oil pressure relief valve (with annular groove) - 311115411 - which was previously installed only in twin carburetor engines is installed in production in all engines except the 1.2 liter engine. By this means the oil temperature will be reduced somewhat.
The plunger may be installed in older engines."

Rolling Eyes

Interesting to hear that these do not work in the same dual relief case engines as in single relief cases! Still as you noted the grooved piston is longer so more spring pressure and thusly more oil thru the cooler when getting hotter and higher RPMs.
Yes this means higher oil pressure at start up, but that is more than likely the same reason VW later advised not using the groove piston in engines that were going to be run in weather below 70 F.

The Bentley VW Official Service Guide for 1970-79 type 1 shows exact same exploded parts photo of the grooved piston, spring, plug, and gasket as shown in the 1500 workshop manual..... Confused

Personally will not use the grooved piston due to the weather we have driven has gotten as low as -6 F.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Some pics to maybe illustrate whats being discussed. Is the grooved bore to accompany the grooved piston what is in the first and second picture?
And, I have taken what seems to be VW grooved pistons out of a number of dual relief engines. One of these is a never rebuilt late 70's fuel injected case, everything is still standard, I am probably the first person to split the case, and it had the grooved piston (not the tapered groove like the last pic)
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one more
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: