Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New pulley question
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: New pulley question Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm replacing the short block because of constant oil leaks. Every client comments on the leaks while telling me how they had a bug back in college.

I put in a degree pulley last year. When I put it in the replacement block it causes drag. That is, the flywheel won't turn by hand. Any idea why? I can't see any difference between the degree pulley and the three stock pulleys I've got. It slides onto the crankshaft easily while the older pulleys have to be tapped in. The degree pulley turns easily until I add the nut and washer.

I spend all weekend putting the block together with new bearings. Not done yet and had to ride a bike to work today.

Someone in a car yelled, "Where's the bug?" as I was walking the bike up a steep hill. Grrrr.

TIA,

crvc
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it drag at all with stock pulleys?

If not.. something is wrong with the degree pulley.

Bottoming out on the case, causing the crank trust (end play) to tighten up.

Check the end play after you sung up the pulley.. if end play (thrust) is gone.. something is out of whack..

Start looking and measuring....

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I had it in the bug for several months. It's just now that I'm building a replacement engine that the pulley doesn't fit. I'll check end play tonight.

Thanks,

crvc
2nd67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: drag Reply with quote

crvc wrote:
No, I had it in the bug for several months. It's just now that I'm building a replacement engine that the pulley doesn't fit. I'll check end play tonight.

Thanks,

crvc

oil slinger reversed? flywheel thrust tolerance not in spec? crank counterweight rubbing on case? distributor drive/gear binding?
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: drag Reply with quote

2nd67 wrote:
crvc wrote:

Thanks,

crvc

oil slinger reversed? flywheel thrust tolerance not in spec? crank counterweight rubbing on case? distributor drive/gear binding?

Exactly where I was heading... Wink
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oil pump bolt heads stick out too far under the sheetmetal, sandwiching the metal between the bolt heads and backside of the pulley causing drag. I cut down an older oil slinger to fit behind the pulley, acting as a washer. My micrometer says it's about 1/32" thickness. That helped but I worry as the running engine heats up it could cause more dragging.

For now I put an older pulley back on as I try to figure out what to do with the degree pulley.

crvc
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measure and transfer the degree marks over to the stock pulley.
Add notches to the stock pulley at the timing locations you use.. or want.

I add notches and measure from the stock 0 TDC, > 10, 20, and 30.. thats about all I need..

Scrap the degree pulley... or keep it for reference...

Of course ....You could trim down the oil pump studs too...

Adding a second slinger.. as a shim.. is pure hack..

Usually and often edited
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT's still on the bench. I forgot the old motor has 'flattish' bolt heads, about half the thickness of the stock bolts. If I use these and they work I can pull the homemade "Hack" out. Smile

The old stock pulley has marks for bTDC, TDC, 7.5 aTDC... It's just not pretty like the degree pulley.

crvc
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the allen-head bolts are the same length as the 13mm-head bolts while being half the thickness.

By using the smaller allen-head bolts and grinding some metal off the pump so it's level with the upper bolt heads I should have room use the degree pulley and also remove the homemade washer.

Thanks for the help,

crvc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: