Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CV or Constant Velocity Joint Bolt
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrRusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: CV or Constant Velocity Joint Bolt Reply with quote

Can anyone explain why VW used recessed hex or recessed 12 point heads on the bolts that attach the axles to the vehicles? Why not use grade 8 bolt? Thx. ---R---
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: CV or Constant Velocity Joint Bolt Reply with quote

I don't know, but in general one advantage of the type they used is a larger, full circle surface to press on the washer and boot cap. A regular hex bolt might have to have a larger head, and the clearance is tight there. The same clearance issue means you can use a 12-point bit on an air ratchet, where a socket probably won't fit.
cellobus1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: CV or Constant Velocity Joint Bolt Reply with quote

The 12-pt. "triple-square" bolts give you more options to put the torque wrench on, if it's not a ratcheting torque wrench. Twice as many as an Allen head bolt or regular bolt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: CV or Constant Velocity Joint Bolt Reply with quote

A Class 12.9 bolt is a step up from a Grade 8 bolt. Why VW didn't use a larger diameter bolt is the question.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: CV or Constant Velocity Joint Bolt Reply with quote

Much better strength in the head on an internal hex, torn, or triple square than a bolt , too.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: CV or Constant Velocity Joint Bolt Reply with quote

The VW Group has been engaging in a love affair with internal drive cap
screws for some decades now...
I even retrofitted some to a Honda CT-90 crankcase so I'm infected too.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: CV or Constant Velocity Joint Bolt Reply with quote

6 M8 bolts probably have a total shear strength of 2000 kg, way over the force they feel,

Engineering is using sufficient plus margin size fasteners, not the largest fastener that will fit.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: CV or Constant Velocity Joint Bolt Reply with quote

The head size is smaller with a triple square than a hex bolt.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: CV or Constant Velocity Joint Bolt Reply with quote

Almost lost another shaft the other day. Luckily decided to get under and adjust brakes up a little and noticed it. All 6 bolts (triple squares) on the trans side were backing out and 3 of 6 on wheel side were as well. Probably only a few miles from slinging it right off. I did NOT locktite them earlier, so my fault. Retorqued with the proper bit and when they come out this winter for rebuild, will locktite upon reinstalling. My new predeparture check item now. Oil, lights, battery cable tightness, any drips or puddles, and now shaft security. Clear prop- contact!

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: CV or Constant Velocity Joint Bolt Reply with quote

not sure, but it makes drilling them out once they strip at 48yrs old really easy. And the mk4's use the same bolts, so you can find them new. Which is awesome.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: CV or Constant Velocity Joint Bolt Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
Almost lost another shaft the other day. Luckily decided to get under and adjust brakes up a little and noticed it. All 6 bolts (triple squares) on the trans side were backing out and 3 of 6 on wheel side were as well. Probably only a few miles from slinging it right off. I did NOT locktite them earlier, so my fault. Retorqued with the proper bit and when they come out this winter for rebuild, will locktite upon reinstalling. My new predeparture check item now. Oil, lights, battery cable tightness, any drips or puddles, and now shaft security. Clear prop- contact!

Its really hard to get loctite to set in a greasy environment - the 33 ft lbs Torque should not loosen up unless the trans flange is damaged on all the threads - in which case Loctite won't help anyway.

Something isnt right?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: CV or Constant Velocity Joint Bolt Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Jetfxr69 wrote:

Its really hard to get loctite to set in a greasy environment - the 33 ft lbs Torque should not loosen up unless the trans flange is damaged on all the threads - in which case Loctite won't help anyway.

Something isnt right?

Agreed, about that only time that I find retorquing is necessary is when buying a vehicle and wanting to drive it home many miles. Almost invariably the bolts will not have been torqued to spec and are all right at the point of coming loose. On the stuff I have owned and serviced, the CV bolts just are not an issue. If the bolts are tight enough to keep the CV outer race from moving at all relative to the flange, the bolts will not come loose. I torque to 33 ft*lbs and make sure the threads have grease on them so the compression of the outer race to the flange is at a max.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: CV or Constant Velocity Joint Bolt Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:

Having correct new Schorr washers makes this almost never happen.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: CV or Constant Velocity Joint Bolt Reply with quote

just as a side note, Grade 2, 5, 8 bolts are SAE measurements. They are not metric. Metric uses a different grading system. Since VW are metric the first observation would be that a grade 8 bolt would not thread into a metric bolt hole.

Metric use (strength # / then size of metric thread used):

4.6 / M5 - M36
4.9 / M1.6 - M16
5.8 / M5 - M24
8.8 / M1.6 - M36
9.8 / M1.6 - M16
10.9 / M5 - M36
12.9 / M1.6 - M36

Equivalent:
US Grade 2 = approx metric 5.8
US Grade 5 = approx metric 8.8
US Grade 8= approx metric 10.9
US Grade above 8 (A574) = approx metric 12.9

There are also different kinds of bolts. Meaning some hold two things together so the force is lengthwise in the bolt, and some are shear bolts, where they take a load where two things slide or hang. A sheer bolt usually has a smaller threaded area but is very beefy where the load is. Say you have two pylons and a piece hangs between them. That would take a shear bolt.

When I told my machinist mentor Bill that I wanted to learn the automotive machinist trade from a race engine builders perspective, he said he didn't have any openings. The guy was known all over the racing circuit, building Indy engines, Vee and SuperVee engines, CART engines, drag engines both for unlimited and unlimited marine racing. I went in a couple times and swept up the shop as a volunteer, and while doing it one day noticed Bill looking thru all his bolt bins for a specific kind of bolt. I took it upon myself to reorganize and sort thru all the fasteners he had to save the shop time. After about a day Bill came over and started going thru all the different kinds of markings, pitches, shanks etc., so that by the time I was done after 10 days he had given me a pretty good lesson on fasteners. Then he offered me a job. When he passed away a couple years ago he did so peacefully in retirement. But everyday I miss that shop and the people in it. They turned out the best engines in the world. When Bill was done training me after about 3 years, my masterpiece was to restore a Ferarri Dino motor for a friend. Restore means making it as good as the day it left the Ferrari factory.

Last edited by SGKent on Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:27 am; edited 3 times in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: CV or Constant Velocity Joint Bolt Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Jetfxr69 wrote:

The washers are worthless if you don't tighten the bolt sufficiently.
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: CV or Constant Velocity Joint Bolt Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Randy in Maine wrote:
Jetfxr69 wrote:

And tightening those particular bolts sufficiently is worthless without the Schorr washers.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: CV or Constant Velocity Joint Bolt Reply with quote

Golly gee Ma. I thought I schorr tightn'd those bolts. Maybe I shud a thrown them in the clothes washer after fixing it like Pa was talking about. He said something about the washer not having torque or something like that. Not sure what he meant but maybe the motor was weak or somethin'. What time lunch be ready? I sure am a hungry. You see who Daisy Mae is a being courted by these days? Some guy picked her up in a VW bus making a clanking as it drove off. Daisy Mae isn't that kinda girl. Boy is he in for a surprise when he reaches for her and she a wallops him with that a rollin pin.

Last edited by SGKent on Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: CV or Constant Velocity Joint Bolt Reply with quote

Zed999 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Randy in Maine wrote:
Jetfxr69 wrote:

And tightening those particular bolts sufficiently is worthless without the Schorr washers.

Do you use Schorr washer under case bolts or rod bolts? I don't and have never had any come loose that I torqued. If you get the CV bolts sufficiently tight they will not come loose with or without a Schorr washer.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: CV or Constant Velocity Joint Bolt Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Zed999 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Randy in Maine wrote:
Jetfxr69 wrote:

Do you use Schorr washer under case bolts or rod bolts? I don't and have never had any come loose that I torqued. If you get the CV bolts sufficiently tight they will not come loose with or without a Schorr washer.

Schorr nuff but it is still a good idea to use them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: