Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can rings un-seat?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fccperdiem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Can rings un-seat? Reply with quote

I have a 2017cc with maybe 3000 miles. I took it for a long drive yesterday, with oil temps up to 220F, and returned with an oily mess in the engine bay. It seems as though there is a ton of blow-by, spewing a mist of oil from my breather box. I started to wonder if a ring (or rings) could become un-seated. I broke the engine in with dino, but changed to synthetic very shortly after (maybe 20 miles). Could the long drive have un-seated rings?
207-242-0016
www.beardfiremetalworks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way , if the rings were already broken in its either hurt or something else wrong ..
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Can rings un-seat? Reply with quote

20 miles is not "broken in". I wouldn't use Synthetic that soon, but that's me.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fccperdiem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I'm starting to agree with you. I plan to adjust the valves, and run a compression test. If the numbers are reasonable, I'll replace the synthetic with good 'ole dino, and run the 30-50-30 cycle 50 times.

It was pretty damned hot that day. I just hope I didn't break a ring!
207-242-0016
www.beardfiremetalworks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
saw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is 30-50-30 cycle?
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use synthetics from the very first fire. It does take a lot longer for my engines to break in. My last one took about 1k miles before it finally settled in.
Drive it like you would normally do. I myself drive them kinda hard. If something's going to happen, I want to know sooner than later.
But that's just what works for me! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally wouldn't use synthetic until the engine is broken in, but that's to protect the cam and lifters, it shouldn't affect ring operation unless an inappropriate grade is chosen. Enough blowby to be spewing oil suggests a broken ring which is usually due to incorrect ring gaps or break in procedure.
bug_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a simliar problem with my new engine after about 1500miles I had eoil vehicle was puffing a little smoke and lack of power after inspecting engine I found that I had a pulled intake guide causing oil to pour into combustion chamber which I believe was caused by overheating on a long trip without a temp gauge.
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Can rings un-seat? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
20 miles is not "broken in". I wouldn't use Synthetic that soon, but that's me.

He said 3,000 miles , the rings should be seated no ??
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Can rings un-seat? Reply with quote

IDK. I have seen rings stop sealing if the jetting is too rich. The excess fuel just wipes the oil off the cylinders.

I have seen a good number of engines with miles over 10k where the rings never broke in fully. Just because he has 3k miles on the engine doesn't mean they are broken in and sealing properly.

I have also seen engines with rings never sealed up, cause by driving like an 80yo woman, "because the engine is new". Drive it like you stole it! That will break them in. If something is going to break it's going to break, better to find out right away than later.

I have also seen a lot of engines where the rings don't seal, when they do not have a working thermostat. Hot cylinders (hot, as in warmed up) don't tend to glaze over like cold cylinders (not warmed up) do. I consider a working thermostat required for proper break in. I also know a lot of guys disagree or dismiss this advice. YMMV.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like John said, drive it like you stole it!

Oh, BTW John, got my type 4 conversion flywheel the other day. Looks great! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: