Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DuPont Product lines for Single-Stage? (Long)
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: DuPont Product lines for Single-Stage? (Long) Reply with quote

So, over the years, I have learned a bit about paint...

The #1 lesson is "Find a good rep".
In AZ, I used a place that sold Sherwin Williams, and was always happy with their products.

When I moved to CA, that went out the window.
We will say, that for several reasons, my experience with the reps here has been worse than bad.

So now, I am shopping for a new line of paints, and there are two here locally; PPG and DuPont.
From what I can gather, the lines are similar in quality.
The PPG seems more popular, and info is easy to find about DP and Concept and it's all good.
But then, going into the local store here, I can tell right away that they really aren't interested in working with a home-hobbyist dumbass like me.
Plus, they are new, and not proven and seem likely to go away soon.

The local DuPont place has been here forever, locals that I know and trust recommend them, and they are easy enough to work with. They are, however super busy, and don't really have time to give me a full education on their products. hence my dilemma; how on earth do I find out about their products enough to even figure out what I want?

Obviously, the Nason line is the cheaper stuff, and you can find out about it from the DuPont site.
What is their better stuff called? Cromax?
Dag, their site is impossible to work with.
Here's what you get if you try to access automotive coatings, exterior:
http://www.dupont.com/industries/automotive.html

I wanted a premium single-stage, L41 Black in color, and the compatible epoxy primer, 2K, etc.
Anybody know a good place where I can figure out exactly what I should be looking for?

Is this their good single-stage product?
http://dpcecatalog.dupont.com/dcat/us/en/dr/catalog.html#prodTypeCd=topcoat
That black looks tempting...

Any input is welcome.
Have a real low tolerance for randomly groping around in the dark for information....
Thanks![/url]

What’s That Noise?!?
bubblehead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spend some time on DuPont and ppg websites and familiarize yourself with the products you are interested in. Read the tech sheets, msds etc. When you can ask specific questions (rather than walking in and saying" teach me") you'll get better service. Maybe hit the place on Saturday when they are less busy. I am an amateur and can say the PPG Concept makes you look like a pro. Lays down really nice and user friendly. No experience with DuPont.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubblehead wrote:
Spend some time on DuPont and ppg websites and familiarize yourself with the products you are interested in. Read the tech sheets, msds etc. When you can ask specific questions (rather than walking in and saying" teach me") you'll get better service. Maybe hit the place on Saturday when they are less busy. I am an amateur and can say the PPG Concept makes you look like a pro. Lays down really nice and user friendly. No experience with DuPont.

My local Carquest is a Dupont (now Axalta) dealer (formerly they had SW paints). When I have questions about their paints, I just ask for the tech sheets. That's how I found out that they've actually got 2 different types of epoxy primer. But, neither of their epoxy primers work like the DP series from PPG. I've actually got about 20 years working with PPG paints and primers, and love them. Unfortunately, my local place closed the doors last spring, forcing me to have to drive 70 miles (round trip) to get their products. I couldn't believe my local PPG dealer just closed up after 30+ years of being in business. Shocked I still use their epoxy, but lately, I've been top coating with the Dupont paint. I just prefer working with the PPG epoxies. Wink

Actually, Saturday is probably the worst day to ask, as you've got the weekend guys getting paint mixed. Rolling Eyes I've found that week days, about mid morning is when they're usually slow, and are willing to help a "newbie". Very Happy

Yes, Cromax is their top of the line stuff, and works very well. But, I've only used it in a base/clear combo (so it works like Deltron). For a novice, the Concept paint is about as easy as it gets to shooting a single stage paint. I've shot 4 VWs with the stuff, and like it (except for the overspray tacking itself to everything). If you decide to use it, make sure you get all of the ingrediants for it. I like going with the DT reducer (870), and the DCX 81 activator, as it's really easy to work with.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently resprayed my 67 with PPG Concept paint. It's not hard to use and sprays nicely and does lay down well. As mentioned, EVERYTHING the overspray gets on is sticky. Luckily, I made a paint booth out of plastic sheets and they were STICKY. The guys I bought the paint from deal mainly with professional shops but were fine with me asking questions. Their sales rep even over heard a conversation and came out and shared his experiences. The paint is EXPENSIVE. The gallon of Concept, reducers/hardeners added up to $500 bucks.

One note on the single stage Concept. I had a pretty good sag on the rear of my roof. I thought nothing of it and figured I'd color sand it down the next day. WRONG. The color seems to rise to the top of the paint and when I flattened it down, it was clearly a different color on that sag spot causing a full respray of the roof. The PPG rep at the shop was surprised as well. Oh well, my fault with the sag but I wouldn't of had this issue if I'd done base/clear as the clear would of sanded down fine.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Automotive Color on Lincoln in Watsonville?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, guys.

I'll elaborate a bit more on how i came to learn why a good rep is important-
My bus has a custom mix ,done all the time, by Space Age in Mesa, AZ.
Straight white only - a "0/500" mix. No other colors, not an OEM, just white toner only.
An obvious choice in AZ, as the lighter the color, the cooler the car.
I wanted the brightest, whitest white they had, and they were like "no problem, we do it all the time, check this out".

Then i move to CA, and even though i have to drive a long way over the hill to San Jo, i have a Sherwin Williams place to go to. I buy all of my supplies and everything, but when i try and buy paint, they tell me they don't know what i'm talking about, and go away.
i went away, but after searching, there wasn't another SW place for hundreds of miles, and they were too stupid to mix paint too.
After trying again on another day, when another guy, who seemed like he was smarter, was there, he listened to my story, and mixed me up some paint, saying it was what i wanted.
After renting a booth and getting a painter on the hook to help me, i shoot the car with some egg-shell color.
Sitting there, after days and days of work and tons of money, "I sure hope this changes color as it dries..."
I went back there to try and get them to replace my paint with what i need, they told me to go away, and only after getting in their face ready to take all of them on, did a manager show up, mix me the correct color, and tell me never to come back again.
I can't tell you how pissed off i was. I waited in the parking lot for the guy to come out after work, until i cooled off a bit and left... It was time to settle this issue the old fashioned way..

Anyhow, i do NOT want to repeat this scenario, so am going to be super choosy about what shop i go to.
I don't want to drive the hill, so it's DuPont or PPG. I really like the PPG idea better, but being paranoid, i went into the local shops and started asking questions. Also asked local painters who i trust, too.

Brent you are right about which place is my local PPG place...
I went in, and, even though they were empty, the guy seemed slightly annoyed that a (white) guy would go in there and start asking a bunch of questions about which products work best with what and how much stuff costs. A couple of hangarounds were sitting there doing nothing and they just kind of vibed me wrong. I remembered my SW experience and left.

My local hero painter here goes to the DuPont place and recommends them. Even though he's super busy with a bunch of customers, he answers a few that he can and throws me a stack of sheets.

I'm on for DuPont for this reason alone.

Which sucks, because Bob Notch has given me great info about PPG, along with others here. There just seems to be so much more info about PPG products than DuPont. i dig around for DuPont info, and i can't find anything. Shit, I can't even find the _name_ of the product I'm supposed to be looking for(!)

So, in a selfish way, I'm glad your PPG guy went vapor on you Bob. That way you and i can learn to de-crypt DuPont's high-end single-stage cryptology and get this stuff deciphered.

I really think it's time to go and buy a sixer of Longboard and go and see if i can't pick my local hero painter's brain....

ANybody out there know about which is which with DuPont stuff?

What’s That Noise?!?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

My bus has a custom mix ,done all the time, by Space Age in Mesa, AZ.
Straight white only - a "0/500" mix. No other colors, not an OEM, just white toner only.
An obvious choice in AZ, as the lighter the color, the cooler the car.
I wanted the brightest, whitest white they had, and they were like "no problem, we do it all the time, check this out".

Then i move to CA, and even though i have to drive a long way over the hill to San Jo, i have a Sherwin Williams place to go to. I buy all of my supplies and everything, but when i try and buy paint, they tell me they don't know what i'm talking about, and go away.
i went away, but after searching, there wasn't another SW place for hundreds of miles, and they were too stupid to mix paint too.
After trying again on another day, when another guy, who seemed like he was smarter, was there, he listened to my story, and mixed me up some paint, saying it was what i wanted.
After renting a booth and getting a painter on the hook to help me, i shoot the car with some egg-shell color.
Sitting there, after days and days of work and tons of money, "I sure hope this changes color as it dries..."
I went back there to try and get them to replace my paint with what i need, they told me to go away, and only after getting in their face ready to take all of them on, did a manager show up, mix me the correct color, and tell me never to come back again.
I can't tell you how pissed off i was. I waited in the parking lot for the guy to come out after work, until i cooled off a bit and left... It was time to settle this issue the old fashioned way..

Anyhow, i do NOT want to repeat this scenario, so am going to be super choosy about what shop i go to.
I don't want to drive the hill, so it's DuPont or PPG. I really like the PPG idea better, but being paranoid, i went into the local shops and started asking questions. Also asked local painters who i trust, too.

Brent you are right about which place is my local PPG place...
I went in, and, even though they were empty, the guy seemed slightly annoyed that a (white) guy would go in there and start asking a bunch of questions about which products work best with what and how much stuff costs. A couple of hangarounds were sitting there doing nothing and they just kind of vibed me wrong. I remembered my SW experience and left.

My local hero painter here goes to the DuPont place and recommends them. Even though he's super busy with a bunch of customers, he answers a few that he can and throws me a stack of sheets.

I'm on for DuPont for this reason alone.

Which sucks, because Bob Notch has given me great info about PPG, along with others here. There just seems to be so much more info about PPG products than DuPont. i dig around for DuPont info, and i can't find anything. Shit, I can't even find the _name_ of the product I'm supposed to be looking for(!)

So, in a selfish way, I'm glad your PPG guy went vapor on you Bob. That way you and i can learn to de-crypt DuPont's high-end single-stage cryptology and get this stuff deciphered.

I really think it's time to go and buy a sixer of Longboard and go and see if i can't pick my local hero painter's brain....

ANybody out there know about which is which with DuPont stuff?

Well, you might be glad they closed the doors, but I'm not. My local PPG dealer was fantastic to work with, answered any and all of my questions, and steered me right many times. They would even custom mix paints without thinking twice about it. They always gave me a postive vibe whenever I dealt with them. Cool
My local "Dupont" dealer is on par with the same deal. Although I've been buying auto parts from them for over 25+ years, they just started selling Dupont paints last year (formerly they sold SW paint). They've been very helpful and I'll be dealing with them for as long as I can. I'll still drive the 70 miles to get the PPG epoxy though, as I prefer it. This might be something you might want to look into, as then you can walk into the place, get what you need and get out. Then go and get your Dupont stuff from someone who is interested in getting a good customer (why I really liked my old PPG dealer).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

My bus has a custom mix ,done all the time, by Space Age in Mesa

Funny you mention Space Age Paint in Mesa. I was in there last week buying some Matrix brand paint to fix the girl friends Chevy. I went in with the paint code. The kid said I should really bring in a piece of the car to insure a good match of the color. So, I went back home, got a piece of the car and went back. They NAILED the color right on and you can't tell where I repaired the deck lid and bumper.

Great folks there with reasonable prices.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, funny...
Space Age was a great place. No wonder they are still going strong.
Back in 96(!) or so when I was there over half the people were young females.
Like high-school age..
The owners daughters and friends or something?
It was a trip to have a super-cute young girl who knew all about it style you out on just what you need.

Unlike these other places, where they just want to go out of business as soon as possible so they can get drunk and bitch about the economy or the president or something...

Anyways, translating DuPontese:
Axalta=Cromax
Topcoat=Single-stage

Do I have this correct?

What’s That Noise?!?
Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit far for you, but there's a paint shop on Broadway in Seaside that deals DuPont. The guy was pretty cool every time I went there for stuff.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DuPont guy here in Santa Cruz is pretty cool so far, too.

I just need to make sure I'm going down the right path, really...

Got to get a mental picture of exactly what steps i need to follow, all the way through.

And i need to get the DuPont version of PPG DP90.
Epoxy sealer in hopefully in black, as that's what color I will be getting.

I'm also thinking of geting a cheap HVLP 'primer gun', as they are only like $60.
The old-fashioned LVHP(?) guns i have, while in good shape, would likely pay for the new gun with all of their wasted paint due to overspray?

They sell Non-water-based stuff here, too.
We are so close to the ocean, that there isn't any pollution, so no need for low-VOC paint..
Even though all of the hippies are here!
Wierd, huh?

What’s That Noise?!?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, i have been pouring through the Cromax site, trying to learn as much as i can.
Here, (Bob) this looks like DuPont's version of PPGs DP90:
http://dpcecatalog.dupont.com/dcat/us/en/dr/product/V-2970S.html
An epoxy primer; non-sandable, for bare metal, and, notice, it can also be used as a sealer over primer surfacer.
Like the DP can...
One thing i don't like as much, is that (according to the TDS), after 2 days it will have to be scuffed before re-coated, unlike PPGs DP epoxy, which can be top-coated without scuffing for up to 7 days.

This is a bit of an issue because there are going to be many nooks and crannies on my type 3 that i will be unable to reach with a scuff pad or sandpaper, but can reach with a spray gun, and, I would like more time before i have to top-coat the epoxy...

What’s That Noise?!?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also,

Why not Standox or Spies-Hecker?

Are they that much more Question ?

What’s That Noise?!?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
OK, i have been pouring through the Cromax site, trying to learn as much as i can.
Here, (Bob) this looks like DuPont's version of PPGs DP90:
http://dpcecatalog.dupont.com/dcat/us/en/dr/product/V-2970S.html
An epoxy primer; non-sandable, for bare metal, and, notice, it can also be used as a sealer over primer surfacer.
Like the DP can...
One thing i don't like as much, is that (according to the TDS), after 2 days it will have to be scuffed before re-coated, unlike PPGs DP epoxy, which can be top-coated without scuffing for up to 7 days.

This is a bit of an issue because there are going to be many nooks and crannies on my type 3 that i will be unable to reach with a scuff pad or sandpaper, but can reach with a spray gun, and, I would like more time before i have to top-coat the epoxy...

It is similar, but what they're not telling you (but your paint guy will), is that you have to mix it 30 to 60 minutes before you decide to shoot it. Shocked Yes, DP has a similar deal, depending on which activator you use (401 needs a 1/2 hour induction time, while 402 is stir and go). This can affect how much you're going to shoot at a time, as when you get close to the end of the cup, you'll still have the wait time IF you need to shoot more. That's why I like the DP with 402 combo, in that I can mix as little as 3oz of primer, or I can mix 32oz of primer, and shoot as soon as I'm ready. Very Happy

But their site is a little confusing, as the different numbers releate to the different colors, and you have to mix them specifically, where the DP, you can mix and match the colors, and add only the required amount of activator needed for the total color mix. I've mixed DP 90 and DP 48 (white), and basically made DP 50 out of it (gray). Very Happy

I personally feel the DP Series primer is easier (more user friendly) to use. And to turn it into a primer-sealer, you just add up to 10% of DT870 reducer. That it's it. Smile Otherwise it's just using the 2 parts (primer and activator). But then I've been using it for 25 years (back when I started using it, it still had lead in it Shocked ) now, and I just like how it performs.

I think I posted in John's T-34 thread (in the t-3 forum) what you can use over it, along with under it, and it's a lot of stuff. Shocked
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
VintageVulture
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im very experienced with both dupont and ppg single stage urethanes. My opinion on quality and spray-ability is that ppg kicks butt in the quality dept, dupont is slightly easier to spray. I prefer the ppg finished quality, dupont seems too thin.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VintageVulture wrote:
Im very experienced with both dupont and ppg single stage urethanes. My opinion on quality and spray-ability is that ppg kicks butt in the quality dept, dupont is slightly easier to spray. I prefer the ppg finished quality, dupont seems too thin.

Yes, I've noticed this myself. Even with the base coat clear coat systems.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: