Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering shaft slip, 1970 Beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
7dnorth7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Steering shaft slip, 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

Hi There,

Been trying to find an answer to this and through a bunch of searching, really haven't nailed it down. I'm hoping you fine folks can assist me.

I have a 1970 Beetle steering column in a Speedster kit car. Under a high force turn, such as at very low speed or a high velocity sideways bump, the steering wheel is relocated by about one tooth. However, this is not a spline slip at the wheel - it is a slip at the steering shaft above the coupler.

I got the cast coupler adapter cleaned up and rotary-brushed out the inside of the steering shaft just below the collapsible section.

So, the question. Does the hollow shaft [arrowed red in pic], just below the collapible section, have splines in it that mesh with the cast coupler splines? If so, then I think I may have found the problem as the inside of my steering shaft is smooth.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

All help appreciated.

David
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, no actual splines...it just relys on the ones on the coupler...you just need to tighten the clamp bolt more...original bolts had a 14mm head and were a 10.9 instead of an 8.8 (stronger bolt)....on daily drivers the problem is solved by the 2 pieces rusting together
7dnorth7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help! It's very tight [impact gun] and is better but it might be time to grab the welder.

David
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering shaft slip, 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

This just happened to me after replacing the steering shaft and taking it for a spin down the block. U-turn at the cul-de-sac and damn near soiled myself. THIS IS SKETCHY!
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Steering shaft slip, 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

Part 27, the stub should have a round relief machined into it, the shaft should have a relief cut in it, when the two are slipped together with the collar the bolt aligns them and when tightened there should not be any slip.

Sounds like when the steering shaft was cut for your Speedster the relief was cut off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: